The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
get your parents to call up if your crap on the phone.

if not, school is still open. call up your teacher and ask him/her to speak to unis again.
Reply 2
I would go for your teachers rather that your parents, they will know more about you as a student.
No admissions tutor wants to speak to your parents or your teachers on results day.

They want YOU to tell them why you want to come to their uni to study on their course.

If you can't avoid being away on results day then make sure you've got all the phone numbers you may need, a working mobile phone and a bag ful of change in case you can't get a signal on a mobile and have to use a payphone.
Reply 4
yer but if I am not good at convincing them isnt it better teachers go for it?
qwerty89
get your parents to call up if your crap on the phone.

if not, school is still open. call up your teacher and ask him/her to speak to unis again.

Its got nothing to do with your parents and I dont think the university would be that impressed
Reply 6
no no I want to phone them don't get me wrong but my head of 6th form said that and I was thinking is this a natural thing. So when can I have phone them, say it says on track they have rejected me?
I don't think it's unusual for teachers to phone unis on your behalf (my head of sixth form did for me, but it was the day before results day, so I didn't know anything about it) but it's probably more common for students to do it themselves and it would probably create a better impression as well. But if it already says on Track that they've rejected you, I doubt phoning them would make them change their minds because they get the results on the Sunday before results day, so they'll most likely have already decided.
Reply 8
so if I miss it by 2 grades and it still hasnt come up with unsucessful on track then how do I convince them?
If you miss it by 2 grades I sincerely doubt they'll let you in anyway.
Maybe if you miss it by 1 grade, or a couple of marks, but 2 grades is a pretty big fall.
All Unis have a week to decide whether they want you there or not, and on results day if they're rejected you then I wouldnt bother trying to convince them.
On results day on trackucas it will give you a definate answer whether you're into your firm or not. If you're not, nothing you can do really unless you're really desperate, but if you are in, then congratulations!
sophisticated
On results day on trackucas it will give you a definate answer whether you're into your firm or not.

No it wont.

It will tell you if your uni confirmed or rejected you by 5pm on wednesday before results day. That's only 3 working days after they recieved the results and quite commonly before a decision either way has been made.
PQ
No it wont.

It will tell you if your uni confirmed or rejected you by 5pm on wednesday before results day. That's only 3 working days after they recieved the results and quite commonly before a decision either way has been made.

I was told that it ticked over on midnight of results day and told you what Uni you're in to.
This is confusing.
Why would they tell you if your uni has confirmed or rejected you on Wednesday before 5pm "before a decision either way has been made"?
Thats a paradox.
sophisticated
I was told that it ticked over on midnight of results day and told you what Uni you're in to.
This is confusing.
Why would they tell you if your uni has confirmed or rejected you on Wednesday before 5pm "before a decision either way has been made"?
Thats a paradox.

Track updates to show any decisions from your uni at 8am on results day (although for the past few years UCAS have managed to **** it up so that it updated for a couple of minutes at midnight on results day too:rolleyes: )

However Track will only show updates that have been sent to UCAS by a uni by 5pm on the day before results day. 3 Working days after the unis recieve your results. If your uni hasn't sent UCAS a decision (confirm or reject) by 5pm on Wednesday then Track won't show any change on Results day at 8am.

Many MANY unis don't get their decisions through to UCAS in time for it to show on track on results day - even if you've met your offer it's possible that track wont reflect that if you uni hasn't been quick enough to go through all of their applicants manually, input confirmation decisions manually, check those decisions manually and send the updated decision off to UCAS within the 3 working days they have results for before Results day.
Oh right ok I think I get it :s-smilie:
So basically its not worth just checking track to see if you've got into your Uni, I need to go into school and collect my results as well?
sophisticated
Oh right ok I think I get it :s-smilie:
So basically its not worth just checking track to see if you've got into your Uni, I need to go into school and collect my results as well?

Yes

Track *might* tell you if you got your place or not. It WONT tell you what grades you got (even if you got your place you might have dropped 1 or 2 (or more) grades and still been accepted).

Universities are NOT ALLOWED to talk to you about your place unless you already have your results, the only place you can get hold of your results is from your school or college.
Reply 15
Should you only bother phoning the uni up if you miss your offer if track still says conditional?
Reply 16
i wondered that as well. If a uni declines can u still all them?
Reply 17
Well, it can't do any harm, I suppose, what are they going to do, reject you again? It's less likely than if no decision has already been made though, i.e. if it still says 'conditional firm' I would imagine you would have more of a chance.
PQ
Yes

Track *might* tell you if you got your place or not. It WONT tell you what grades you got (even if you got your place you might have dropped 1 or 2 (or more) grades and still been accepted).

Universities are NOT ALLOWED to talk to you about your place unless you already have your results, the only place you can get hold of your results is from your school or college.

Ok thanks for the help!
I'm just really hoping that when I log on to UCAS on August 16th, it will tell me I'm into my firm! *prays* lol.
Before you go away get all the numbers you might need, make sure you can get a copy of The Times and maybe internet access. Get your teachers to phone you your alevel results including all module grades and make sure you've written them down fine.

Then ring your uni and beg and plead, if not try clearing.

Hopefully you wont need to though :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending