The Student Room Group

Did anyone else severely miss their predicted grades?

I was predicted A*AA, and ended up getting ABC. I missed both my firm (Southampton) and insurance (Surrey). I missed ABB by 1 mark in maths (that was extremely frustrating), and that would have gotten my my insurance. I'm currently studying a clearing course at Surrey that's similar to the subject that I wanted to do, though not quite the same.

I'm currently trying to transfer to the course I originally wanted inside of Surrey, though it's not going to well. Apparently there was a deadline that I've missed, though I was never told it and I can't find that deadline anywhere on the site.

It just feels like I've been slipping lower and lower. First I was considering Oxbridge, then Warwick and Bristol, Then Southampton, now I'm doing clearing at Surrey for a related course.

I actually also lost my teenage brother in the last year of 6th form. I didn't feel like it impacted my grades back when I was doing my exams, but looking back it may be the reason I was so demotivated.

It's still an alright course at an alright university, but I just keep wondering that it could have been better. And if there's anything I could do now that could make up for it. Perhaps try really hard and get a 1:1?

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing anything like this? Does anyone have any advice, especially for switching courses in Surrey? Is there anything I can do now to make up for it? Courses on the side or something?

I'd appreciate if you could point out some things that might seem obvious, since I'm not too familiar with the UK uni system. I'm an immigrant (17 yrs) and somehow don't have anyone to talk to who has been through the UK uni system.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Honey Pot
I was predicted A*AA, and ended up getting ABC. I missed both my firm (Southampton) and insurance (Surrey). I missed ABB by 1 mark in maths (that was extremely frustrating), and that would have gotten my my insurance. I'm currently studying a clearing course at Surrey that's similar to the subject that I wanted to do, though not quite the same.

I'm currently trying to transfer to the course I originally wanted inside of Surrey, though it's not going to well. Apparently there was a deadline that I've missed, though I was never told it and I can't find that deadline anywhere on the site.

It just feels like I've been slipping lower and lower. First I was considering Oxbridge, then Warwick and Bristol, Then Southampton, now I'm doing clearing at Surrey for a related course.

I actually also lost my teenage brother in the last year of 6th form. I didn't feel like it impacted my grades back when I was doing my exams, but looking back it may be the reason I was so demotivated.

It's still an alright course at an alright university, but I just keep wondering that it could have been better. And if there's anything I could do now that could make up for it. Perhaps try really hard and get a 1:1?

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing anything like this? Does anyone have any advice, especially for switching courses in Surrey? Is there anything I can do now to make up for it? Courses on the side or something?

I'd appreciate if you could point out some things that might seem obvious, since I'm not too familiar with the UK uni system. I'm an immigrant (17 yrs) and somehow don't have anyone to talk to who has been through the UK uni system.

Does your current course lead to the same career as the one you want to switch to? What are the differences between them?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Does your current course lead to the same career as the one you want to switch to? What are the differences between them?

Yes it will, they're quite close. The one I wanted is more theory based, but my current one is less so.
Original post by Honey Pot
Yes it will, they're quite close. The one I wanted is more theory based, but my current one is less so.

In that case why not get your head down and aim to achieve the best you possibly can, hopefully a first? Once you get on the career ladder the difference in your degree won't matter much anyway.

Does either course have a placement year?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
In that case why not get your head down and aim to achieve the best you possibly can, hopefully a first? Once you get on the career ladder the difference in your degree won't matter much anyway.

Does either course have a placement year?

Yes, both do. Thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending