Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just got a letter from a loan company, how do they know my address? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I just got a letter from a loan company, Satsuma, which I have never heard of. It's basically telling me to go on their website and tae out their loan. Question is how the hell did they get my address? AND MY NAME?

I've also been getting spam calls from people advertising all sorts of **** to me,to the pont where now I just never pick up if its private or a number I dont recognize, but whenever I have one of these missed calls, i google it and people are complaning about these numbers, how its a scam / advertising etc, and to be honest I've had several of these numbers literally stalking me (calling me about 10 times over a period of a few days) but I never pick up

I honestly cant think of any websites where I gave out my number of my address, whenever I have to fill out a form for some sort of registration that isnt important, I give a fake phone number and address because i dont wanna receive their *****y mails.

Seriously what the ****?

ReputationRep:
    Someone has sold your details, its disgusting how they continue to do so. I've never received a letter but the calls are frequent and annoying.

ReputationRep:
    The joy of getting your first spam. It turns you into a man.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I get a lot of these too and I have to admit, I'm getting a tad concerned over how these companies (who I've never had anything to do with) have ended up with my details.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As above. Somebody has sold your details and as a result you're now going to be inundated with this sort of junk. Not much you can do really. If you ask them to take you off mailing lists then they have to but of course that doesn't mean they will. Welcome to the real world where you just have to live with it. Unless you're expecting a call don't both answering to unknown numbers. Anyone important will leave a message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Someone has sold your details, its disgusting how they continue to do so. I've never received a letter but the calls are frequent and annoying.
    The interesting thing about the constant calls is that they must have people who fall for their ******** otherwise these companies wouldnt continue to do this, what kind of idiots live on this planet?

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell, I just got a call, didnt know the number, i googled and IT IS A MARKETING CALL

seriously 17 minutes after i post this thread, this is a****ing joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    ****ing hell, I just got a call, didnt know the number, i googled and IT IS A MARKETING CALL

seriously 17 minutes after i post this thread, this is a****ing joke
    You should register with these services.

To stop marketing calls
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

To stop unsolicited junk mail
    http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

It's easy to register yourself.

They won't stop absolutely everything (some firms claim you 'volunteer' to receive their crap if you forget to tick a box on a form saying you don't want them to, etc) and companies based overseas tend to ignore them, but they will reduce it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    The interesting thing about the constant calls is that they must have people who fall for their ******** otherwise these companies wouldnt continue to do this, what kind of idiots live on this planet?
    They look for vulnerable people who may fall into financial difficulties. Not to stereotype but likely single mothers, older persons and anyone else. They hope to strike lucky and confuse/trick people into believing what they are saying, its a shameful crime.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i get at least one letter a month and 2-3 phone calls a day from marketing things like this

ReputationRep:
    It's all those dodgy sites you have been registering on online, who then sold your details to some other dodgy people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.