The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think the amount of paper given was just about enough - I was worried after I realised a couple of days ago but I managed okay in the exam today - I had a couple of spare pages by the end of it even after going wrong and crossing a couple of things out.

If your school/test centre gave you extra paper then I can't see how you would be at fault - I have heard that you're not supposed to use extra paper but it doesn't say that anywhere in the booklet and if the invigilator didn't tell you that, then it's certainly not your fault.
For all those asking about space - you should have plenty of room inside the booklet (note that you not only have the space next to the long answer pages you have the space for the questions you didn't answer (e.g. 6 and 7 for mathematicians) and there are 6-8 pages at the back of the booklet (hence why there's the wording at the bottom of every other page "If you require additional space please use the pages at the end of the booklet"). If you used all of these spaces then by all means ask for additional paper - but bear in mind that additional paper runs the risk of getting lost (particularly when it's not properly attached to the booklet). We strongly prefer students to keep all of their answers and working inside the booklet.
Original post by riemmanmath
When will the paper or the solution be available?

The paper will go up online probably on Friday. Solutions will be a while after that.
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
For all those asking about space - you should have plenty of room inside the booklet (note that you not only have the space next to the long answer pages you have the space for the questions you didn't answer (e.g. 6 and 7 for mathematicians) and there are 6-8 pages at the back of the booklet (hence why there's the wording at the bottom of every other page "If you require additional space please use the pages at the end of the booklet":wink:. If you used all of these spaces then by all means ask for additional paper - but bear in mind that additional paper runs the risk of getting lost (particularly when it's not properly attached to the booklet). We strongly prefer students to keep all of their answers and working inside the booklet.

Thank this clarification. Unfortunately I wasn't informed that I could use the pages next to unanswered questions, and so ultimately did request extra paper. I'm very concerned that this work isn't going to get marked since the majority of two of my long answer questions were filled in in this way. Would a request via my centre to ATS to mark the extra paper, provided the paper were kept in order in the booklet with the appropriate page for the question, would be sufficient to have a realistic hope of it getting marked?
Original post by Azambug
Thank this clarification. Unfortunately I wasn't informed that I could use the pages next to unanswered questions, and so ultimately did request extra paper. I'm very concerned that this work isn't going to get marked since the majority of two of my long answer questions were filled in in this way. Would a request via my centre to ATS to mark the extra paper, provided the paper were kept in order in the booklet with the appropriate page for the question, would be sufficient to have a realistic hope of it getting marked?

We'll mark it, but we strongly prefer people to keep to the booklet for the reasons outlined above.
Original post by botmun2
........ (removed this part)

Also, I didn't remember my UCAS Personal ID, and couldn't write that down on the third page. -_- though it was written 'if known'.... Now will this create any problem? :/

It won't create a problem considering it said 'if known'. Our invigilator also told us that you didn't have to write your UCAS ID down.
We'll mark it, but we strongly prefer people to keep to the booklet for the reasons outlined above.

And I realise this might be taking the biscuit, but if we had applied to other universities which use the MAT as well as Oxford, would the same apply for them too?
Original post by Azambug
And I realise this might be taking the biscuit, but if we had applied to other universities which use the MAT as well as Oxford, would the same apply for them too?

We (Oxford) mark all the scripts, whichever university you're applying to.
(edited 7 years ago)
I prefer to do those kind of rough work on rough work sheets though (if needed), coz I looks neater on the answer book. The space is just enough for me.
Some of my working out was a complete mess, do you reckon it'll be a problem?
Original post by Azambug
Seriously need advice

- I'm not very space-economical and ended up running out of space on the blank pages at the back of the booklet. My center gave me some extra paper on which I wrote huge parts of my final solutions. It was quite clear from layout that they weren't rough workings However, I've just seen that Oxford's website says "Only answers written in the booklet will be marked. There are spare blank pages at the end of the test paper."

I've just sent a message to my exams officer asking if a note could be sent with my paper explaining. Has anyone had similar experience and know if I'm doomed or not? Honestly at least 30-35 marks worth of work was on my extra pages...

Same here, I used loads of extra paper.

Sorry i'm just super anxious, it's 100% ok for me to have used extra paper?
Original post by RuairiMorrissey
Sorry i'm just super anxious, it's 100% ok for me to have used extra paper?

We'll mark it (provided we receive it), but as I said, we strongly prefer people to keep all of their working and answers inside the booklet.
Some of my working out was a complete mess, do you reckon it'll be a problem?

as long as you can actually read it then it wont matter. Youll not lose marks for presentation or anything :laugh:
We'll mark it (provided we receive it), but as I said, we strongly prefer people to keep all of their working and answers inside the booklet.

Yeah I understand. I can't really do anything about that now unfortunately : (
Original post by DylanJ42
as long as you can actually read it then it wont matter. Youll not lose marks for presentation or anything :laugh:

Well that was the issue.
Well that was the issue.

well if they can read it then youre fine, if its that much of a mess that its impossible to read then how could they mark it? although I doubt its possible to write working out so bad that its unreadable unless you tried to
Original post by DylanJ42
well if they can read it then youre fine, if its that much of a mess that its impossible to read then how could they mark it? although I doubt its possible to write working out so bad that its unreadable unless you tried to

Idk, my dyslexia has caused some real problems in the past. Hopefully it's ok though!
Idk, my dyslexia has caused some real problems in the past. Hopefully it's ok though!

im sure the people marking the paper will find all the questions so straightforward that theyll know exactly what youre doing with your working out. Think of it similar to you marking a GCSE maths paper, no matter how all over the place the working was youd understand exactly what it all means and what order they done it in.
Do you still get marks for multiple choice if there is no working shown?

Latest

Trending

Trending