The Student Room Group

Sick of nepotism in job interviews

17 years old and after my SIXTH job interview for a part time job in a shop, I thought it had gone pretty well. I saw a girl I know who had also interviewed just before me. She was dressed in a t shirt, jacket and tracksuit bottoms, and honestly her entire extended family must have been waiting for her, and they all gave her a big hug and a pep talk, even offering to go in with her. (We were all sitting in the one area so I heard all that was said). Meanwhile, I went on my own, I showed up 10 minutes early and dressed in smart black trousers and a white shirt. I found out I didn't get the job which is perfectly acceptable - but then I found out that this girl got the job instead of me. She's working there now and a month later, she still can't operate the tills without another worker assisting her, and a lot of the time they put her out to direct traffic in the car park :s-smilie: Why? Because her family knows the family who run the shop.

I am so tired of nepotism among part time job interviews! I just needed a rant about this. When I got a call back, the owner told me I interviewed fantastically and that "If we were hiring more than one, you would have a job" and yet here I am, with no job in comparison to someone who showed up dressed poorly with an entire entourage of support. How the hell am I supposed to bypass this crap?
Reply 1
Sometimes you gotta help a friend. it doesn't just happen with part time jobs, it's quite popular if you're in government lol
Reply 2
it's only natural to hire someone that they know
double edged sword - make more contacts and you can do the same.
Sometimes it's who you know, not what you know. Can be frustrating but this may work in your favour at some point. Just take it with a pinch of salt and keep trying.
Original post by smc720
17 years old and after my SIXTH job interview for a part time job in a shop, I thought it had gone pretty well. I saw a girl I know who had also interviewed just before me. She was dressed in a t shirt, jacket and tracksuit bottoms, and honestly her entire extended family must have been waiting for her, and they all gave her a big hug and a pep talk, even offering to go in with her. (We were all sitting in the one area so I heard all that was said). Meanwhile, I went on my own, I showed up 10 minutes early and dressed in smart black trousers and a white shirt. I found out I didn't get the job which is perfectly acceptable - but then I found out that this girl got the job instead of me. She's working there now and a month later, she still can't operate the tills without another worker assisting her, and a lot of the time they put her out to direct traffic in the car park :s-smilie: Why? Because her family knows the family who run the shop.

I am so tired of nepotism among part time job interviews! I just needed a rant about this. When I got a call back, the owner told me I interviewed fantastically and that "If we were hiring more than one, you would have a job" and yet here I am, with no job in comparison to someone who showed up dressed poorly with an entire entourage of support. How the hell am I supposed to bypass this crap?

Do you have lots of retail experience? You never know, she might have had jobs before. Getting a part-time job can be really tough. I hope you find one soon.
mind you this may not work - the store i used to work with wont take me back
Nepotism is everywhere. At the school I worked in, it was awful there. Everyone getting the jobs were related or friends with the headteacher or the 'business manager' (aka chief secretary with fancy name title). I could go on but some of the situatioms i found myself in because of it just make me angry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending