Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    17 years old and after my SIXTH job interview for a part time job in a shop, I thought it had gone pretty well. I saw a girl I know who had also interviewed just before me. She was dressed in a t shirt, jacket and tracksuit bottoms, and honestly her entire extended family must have been waiting for her, and they all gave her a big hug and a pep talk, even offering to go in with her. (We were all sitting in the one area so I heard all that was said). Meanwhile, I went on my own, I showed up 10 minutes early and dressed in smart black trousers and a white shirt. I found out I didn't get the job which is perfectly acceptable - but then I found out that this girl got the job instead of me. She's working there now and a month later, she still can't operate the tills without another worker assisting her, and a lot of the time they put her out to direct traffic in the car park Why? Because her family knows the family who run the shop.

I am so tired of nepotism among part time job interviews! I just needed a rant about this. When I got a call back, the owner told me I interviewed fantastically and that "If we were hiring more than one, you would have a job" and yet here I am, with no job in comparison to someone who showed up dressed poorly with an entire entourage of support. How the hell am I supposed to bypass this crap?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you gotta help a friend. it doesn't just happen with part time jobs, it's quite popular if you're in government lol

ReputationRep:
    it's only natural to hire someone that they know

double edged sword - make more contacts and you can do the same.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's who you know, not what you know. Can be frustrating but this may work in your favour at some point. Just take it with a pinch of salt and keep trying.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by smc720)
    17 years old and after my SIXTH job interview for a part time job in a shop, I thought it had gone pretty well. I saw a girl I know who had also interviewed just before me. She was dressed in a t shirt, jacket and tracksuit bottoms, and honestly her entire extended family must have been waiting for her, and they all gave her a big hug and a pep talk, even offering to go in with her. (We were all sitting in the one area so I heard all that was said). Meanwhile, I went on my own, I showed up 10 minutes early and dressed in smart black trousers and a white shirt. I found out I didn't get the job which is perfectly acceptable - but then I found out that this girl got the job instead of me. She's working there now and a month later, she still can't operate the tills without another worker assisting her, and a lot of the time they put her out to direct traffic in the car park Why? Because her family knows the family who run the shop.

I am so tired of nepotism among part time job interviews! I just needed a rant about this. When I got a call back, the owner told me I interviewed fantastically and that "If we were hiring more than one, you would have a job" and yet here I am, with no job in comparison to someone who showed up dressed poorly with an entire entourage of support. How the hell am I supposed to bypass this crap?
    Do you have lots of retail experience? You never know, she might have had jobs before. Getting a part-time job can be really tough. I hope you find one soon.

ReputationRep:
    mind you this may not work - the store i used to work with wont take me back

Nepotism is everywhere. At the school I worked in, it was awful there. Everyone getting the jobs were related or friends with the headteacher or the 'business manager' (aka chief secretary with fancy name title). I could go on but some of the situatioms i found myself in because of it just make me angry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.