The Student Room Group

Missed out on my offer due to mental health issues - I can't be the only one right?

During exam season and to a lesser extent all year round I always have pretty messy mental health symptoms pop up, usually I just assumed that these are normal for everyone under stress and part of why school is supposed to be tough but this year they were getting REALLY intense, I could tell they were having even more of an impact on my exams than usual and after the amount of effort i put in this year I wasn't happy with letting them ruining it. I decided to be more open with my friends about them and ask them what they do to cope and none of them had any idea what I was talking about So after making most of my fiends uncomfortable I decided to hit up a friend of mine with bipolar disorder. After that I realized that my current and more long term issues were in fact very far from normal (I'm seriously not sure how I didn't realize I sooner my life is a mess) and booked myself an emergency GP appointment. I figured I wouldn't be given any wonder drugs to save me but I at least expected to get a referral to adult mental health services and some short term coping tips. Boy was I wrong, not going into details but the doctor insinuated that I was making it up and dismissed me entirely.Not wanting to give up I decided to speak with a few senior leadership people at my school and a friend of a friend who works in mental health and found the most promising option to be a self referral. The place I referred myself to took an entire month to get back to me and gave me a phone appointment mid September (god bless the NHS).So cut to results day and I open the envelope to find I've gotten ACC - this is SO much more than I expected to get but not enough for my ABB offer at UCL. Unfortunately UCL don't do clearing and I couldn't get in contact with the professors for my course. I can probably get a place at a few unis through clearing etc because my grades realistically aren't so bad but UCL was really the only uni I wanted to go to. I just feel so cheated by my own brain chemistry If I had known that I wasn't neurototypical sooner then I could've had coping mechanisms or medication or just anything to stabilize me through exam season and I would've gotten in. Has anyone else been through this kind of stuff? Or does anyone have any advice here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending