Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I still find it hard to believe but 3 years ago a lad I heard about got poor A' level results, he'd only been interested in doing medicine for a few weeks before results day and clearing, he'd never initially applied for medicine other than one of his choices.

He claimed he had contacted a university during clearing and that a clearing advisor had allowed him to take a place in medical school ( he never even contacted clearing).
    He phoned the university a few days after this fictitious conversation asking why he had not received his entry confirmation and was adamant that he had been accepted on his grades. As a gamble he chose a common name of whom he claims to have revived the offer from. He gave this first name to the admissions officer and by sheer chance there were some people of that name on the clearing team.

Rather than dispute the entrant the admissions officer made some calls and explained that despite his poor grades, he had been promised a place in med school and that the University felt committed to honour that promise, (presumably to avoid bad press) but that he would have a stern word with the whole clearing team not to make offers without any certainty and to contact a supervisor if eligibility to a course is questionable.

Result was he got into med school and has so far passed all assessments end of year exams and is now successfully entering his 3 year. (He has to do six years due to a bad chemistry grade).

Just amazing what can happen....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I still find it hard to believe but 3 years ago a lad I heard about got poor A' level results, he'd only been interested in doing medicine for a few weeks before results day and clearing, he'd never initially applied for medicine other than one of his choices.

He claimed he had contacted a university during clearing and that a clearing advisor had allowed him to take a place in medical school ( he never even contacted clearing).
    He phoned the university a few days after this fictitious conversation asking why he had not received his entry confirmation and was adamant that he had been accepted on his grades. As a gamble he chose a common name of whom he claims to have revived the offer from. He gave this first name to the admissions officer and by sheer chance there were some people of that name on the clearing team.

Rather than dispute the entrant the admissions officer made some calls and explained that despite his poor grades, he had been promised a place in med school and that the University felt committed to honour that promise, (presumably to avoid bad press) but that he would have a stern word with the whole clearing team not to make offers without any certainty and to contact a supervisor if eligibility to a course is questionable.

Result was he got into med school and has so far passed all assessments end of year exams and is now successfully entering his 3 year. (He has to do six years due to a bad chemistry grade).

Just amazing what can happen....
    I know what he did was completely wrong ( if it's true) but the fact he passed all assessments meant that he's suited for this right?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    Sounds just like hearsay tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnyBoys)
    I know what he did was completely wrong ( if it's true) but the fact he passed all assessments meant that he's suited for this right?
    I would certainly agree with that. There's a lot of stuff in A' level chemistry that's irrelevant in medicine anyway.
    The most important thing is that he has passed those medical school assessments and that he knows his anatomy, physiology, pathology, dissections etc.

ReputationRep:
    'a lad I heard about'
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    There's no way this is true.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Just amazing it never happened....
    Fixed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That medic's name?

Albert Einstein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    There's no way this is true.
    That's what I thought. I didn't even know you could do medicine via clearing, but there was a web site that said you can now but whether that was possible 3 years ago nobody knows lol.

ReputationRep:
    Someone's chatting nonsense somewhere.... uni admissions departments don't work like that, and medicine doesn't show up in Clearing. He certainly woudln't have got in without an interview - it's a GMC requirement.

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_legend

ReputationRep:
    My BS-o-meter just exploded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Someone's chatting nonsense somewhere.... uni admissions departments don't work like that, and medicine doesn't show up in Clearing. He certainly woudln't have got in without an interview - it's a GMC requirement.
    Medicine was in clearing this year at St Georges*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    There's occasionally one exception - but it's very rare, as invariably universities will just fill any spare places with their near misses from the interview stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Indeed it was, and places were given to people who had missed their firm medical offer, after having completed all the usual UKCAT/interview/work experience etc, but had got into their non-medicine insurance. They were also interviewed by St George's. They were not, funnily enough, people with none of those things as described in the highly imaginative story in the OP, which has as many holes in it as a fishing net.

ReputationRep:
    There's occasionally one exception - but it's very rare, as invariably universities will just fill any spare places with their near misses from the interview stage.
    No, it's true. The world tilted on its axis this year and there were 50 places in Clearing at St George's. We couldn't believe it either.
    Beska spent results day dealing with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Indeed it was, and places were given to people who had missed their firm medical offer, after having completed all the usual UKCAT/interview/work experience etc, but had got into their non-medicine insurance. They were also interviewed by St George's. They were not, funnily enough, people with none of those things as described in the highly imaginative story in the OP, which has as many holes in it as a fishing net.
    Of course, I have no doubt that this story is a load of rubbish*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    No, it's true. The world tilted on its axis this year and there were 50 places in Clearing at St George's. We couldn't believe it either.
    Bloody hell D:

I rather missed that bit of excitement... and there was me thinking that Reading breaking the Embargo on Sunday was the most entertaining part of Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell D:

I rather missed that bit of excitement... and there was me thinking that Reading breaking the Embargo on Sunday was the most entertaining part of Clearing.
    No, it was the St George's story. The rest was very tame.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.