The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Whats_The_411?
awww it goes from bad to worse. Is there no where else you can go?

can't think of anywhere. mates are at uni most of the year so they are all back with their families. My parents are getting divored at the minute so I don't think they want me around.

I could ask the fiance for money but it would mean he has to touch the savings acc which was for the wedding. and I would feel even worse asking him.
Reply 21
break something else and get put in hospital till the start of ur RAF training or move back in with parents
Reply 22
that may just work. Im a sissy so I would have to get someone else to break it for me
sublime_envy
that may just work. Im a sissy so I would have to get someone else to break it for me

I'll do it :biggrin: . Can't you just live with your bf or is he at uni or something like that?
Reply 24
Whats_The_411?
I'll do it :biggrin: . Can't you just live with your bf or is he at uni or something like that?

no hes fighting in Iraq. (that would be interesting)
sublime_envy
no hes fighting in Iraq. (that would be interesting)

:eek: when is he back?
Reply 26
Whats_The_411?
:eek: when is he back?

March I believe, so quite awhile
Stay is somebodies shed.....or a Bed and Breakfast.

That's harsh to kick you out.
Reply 28
do they know you have nowhere to go? would they like it if your flatmate was put in the same situation?
You must have some rights in this situation. I would go to the citizens advice office and ask for help. If you have a contractual arrangement they have to provide notice and stuff like that. Also you could refuse to leave and they have to get a court order - which takes months - in the mean time you could fix something up. The number of the CBX will be in the phone book.
Reply 30
sublime_envy
just got a call from my flatmates parents and they are throwing me out! What am I gonna do?

Complete and utter bastards. That's so fecking evil. (Must make a note of that one :biggrin: ). Can't you claim benefits or anything, or just borrow off your parents?
Reply 31
sublime_envy
just got a call from my flatmates parents and they are throwing me out! What am I gonna do?

What is your tenancy agreement?
If you are all renting on a joint agreement from one landlord they cannot throw you out without a court order

If you are renting from your flatmates themselves and one of them is the landlord, and living in the property then things are more difficult and you have less rights.

I am guessing from your mentioning of their parents that the parents own the property but do not live there. In such a case they cannot just throw you out. A court order is needed, which in your situation the court *might* choose not to grant.

If they have moved your stuff onto the street and changed the locks, then the police should be called, who can break down the doors for you to enable you to return to *your* flat.

You need to speak with somebody qualified in these matters ASAP, try your Universities' Accomodation/Housing office, or the advice centre in your students union. As a last resort you could turn to your local Citizens Advice Bureau, who will all be able to sort these things out.
Reply 32
Im not at uni, the flat is in my mates name and we have no written agreement :frown:
Reply 33
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_housing/documents/page/odpm_house_601800-03.hcsp#P62_11824

Office of the Deputy Prime Minister

However, although it is not necessary to get a court order to evict someone in the excluded categories, there is a common law requirement for a landlord to serve a periodic tenant with notice equivalent to the period of the tenancy.

This means for example that if the tenancy was from month to month, the landlord must give a month's notice. (In the case of yearly tenancies, he or she must give six months' notice.) At common law, a licensee must be given notice which is reasonable in all the circumstances. See Notice That You Must Leave and Letting Rooms in Your Home.

From what you stated earlier you have 1 month, which should be enough time to sort things out.

While again I stress you should speak to a solicitor or somebody trained in this area of law, I believe that the lack of formal tenancy agreement would not be a vast problem. You would have to show the court your bank statements and subpeona your mate's bank statements. The court would then see money going on a monthly basis from your account to theirs, and they cannot deny you were living there as otherwise why would they be in court to start with. I think this falls under the legal principle of "ducks" (if it looks like a tenancy and quacks like a tenancy...)

Latest

Trending

Trending