The Student Room Group

My dream is over

Scroll to see replies

Original post by England113
I got an B

What did you get in maths and english?

I'm sure you'll find another sixth form/college if you got Bs in the sciences and Cs in maths & english. If not a C, then you might be able to retake at another college.
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest, if you can't pass the GCSE requirement then that's pretty much it. I hate to break it to you as it will only get harder and harder. Also, if you really want it, you can always do it as a postgraduate degree. However, you need to bear in mind that dentistry doesn't take in people doing retakes, so you have to pass everything in one go...
Reply 22
Maybe Chemistry and Biology just weren't for you. From what you were posting yesterday on the Chemistry forum, you would have found them hellish.
I didn't get a B in maths.

Then you don't deserve to be a dentist.
I asked but there said no

Then go and resit as a private candidate or go to another sixth form.

If its really your dream then you have to show some determination if you really want to make it reality.
Don't take English if you hate it! A levels require a lot of dedication and you may not be motivated to work hard if you don't enjoy the subjects you're doing. Also, I'm not sure if universities accept students don't English lit and English lang .
Reply 26
Don't do a subject that you don't want to do.

My advice is simple - Resit the GCSEs; then do the A-Levels that you like.

Resitting will reduce the chances of getting in. But if I was you, I wouldn't think twice. Do the resits, then smash the A-levels and do really well in UKCAT/BMAT and get lots of work experience. That should set you up in a good position. When you apply to dental schools, just avoid the ones that put more emphasis on GCSEs.

You should ideally have at least a B in Maths & English, plus A in Science.

Remember - where there is a will, there is a way. If this is what you really want, then go get it. No one can stop you from achieving your dreams.

Good luck ! :smile:
Original post by Louise.R
Don't take English if you hate it! A levels require a lot of dedication and you may not be motivated to work hard if you don't enjoy the subjects you're doing. Also, I'm not sure if universities accept students don't English lit and English lang .

English Literature is a facilitating subject and is approved by Russel Group Universities. The other main subjects are Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography and Languages.
I went for my A level interview and I couldn't do the subjects I wanted. I can't become an dentist. I choose history, English language, English literature and anthropology . I don't even like these subjects. I hate English .

It sounds like you're going to waste a year on these A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx
Scroll down to overlapping subjects . Doing both displays similar skills so it may not be preferred . Doing them individually is fine

Quick Reply

Latest