The Student Room Group

Old banger vs newer car on finance ?

Pretty much as the title suggests, which one would you go for ? I've not driven in a while but i have had a car in the past. My last car i had a couple of years ago was an old banger and was a nightmare hence why i'm thinking of spending more on finance to get something more reliable and maybe get a warranty thrown in ?
"old banger" & "newer car" doesn't tell much.
What would your budget be?
What would you need the car for?
Bare in mind the insurance prices & fuel consumption.
Reply 2
If you can afford £1000-2000 for a "decent banger" then yeah, I would suggest you went for that as finance ties you in and is expensive, if circumstances change - you can't get out.
If you're gonna get a new car, leasing makes a lot more sense than finance. Finance is a mug's game IMO.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good advice if he was a newbie, but he's owned a car previously. You don't just forget how to drive over a couple year gap :top:
Reply 5
Neither. Getting a dirt cheap ancient car is a waste of time, and I would never want to lock myself into a finance contract on that scale.
If you have the money to take a new car out on finance, then save up and buy a car for £2-3K with like 60K on the clock, it'll be new enough to not have any issues but old enough to be affordable.
Depends on why you need a car.

If it is just an occasional usage car, then a banger does the job. If you need one for work or commute then you'd probably want to get a better one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending