The Student Room Group

Economics help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zainyyyyy
Ask anyone questions about economics related questions

can anyone help with either of these questions

You have been charged with putting together a redundancy package for a departing executive. The executive has asked for the following: (1) The present value of the next two years’ lost pay. The executive’s current annual salary is £120,000 and historical salary growth is 5 per cent per annum. (2) £100,000 for reputation management and a non-disclosure contract. (3) £20,000 non-competition agreement. If the effective annual interest rate is 6 per cent, what is the size of the settlement? If you were the departing employee, would you like to see a higher or lower interest rate?

You have an investment that will pay you 1.17 per cent per month. How much will you have per euro invested in one year? In two years?
Original post by kas9
Mainly because we didn't get taught macro very well last year, due to our teacher unexpectedly falling ill, resulting in substitute teachers. However macro from AS is needed in A2, with added bits. Both overlap, so it's one really.

In my new school, the current year 13's said that in year 12 their microeconomics teacher showed them the apprentice in most lessons ahah - most ended up with C - E in the mock exams in June. Personally I feel with Economics doing reading and learning yourself is not that difficult and you should try to get ahead of your class if you can.
Reply 122
Original post by azizadil1998
In my new school, the current year 13's said that in year 12 their microeconomics teacher showed them the apprentice in most lessons ahah - most ended up with C - E in the mock exams in June. Personally I feel with Economics doing reading and learning yourself is not that difficult and you should try to get ahead of your class if you can.

As i've said to many people in this thread, i have ended up reading for micro, and keeping pace with macro.
+1
Original post by kas9
As i've said to many people in this thread, i have ended up reading for micro, and keeping pace with macro.
Reply 124
Original post by sahil19
3 lessons into economics and I love it! We started with markets and then the supply and demand graphs. What's the hardest part of year 12 economics going to be? Thanks!

For me it was externalities and supply-side policies. Balance of payments was quite difficult because I found myself asking "so what" half the time lol, considering it was all self-taught from books and I only started in February, I think I did alright
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 21.38.07.png

@zainyyyyy @kas9 @zayn008

guys help I'm struggling to make notes and I've left it late :frown: is this book good?
what have you left too late? its 2 months in. our schools gave us this New A-Level Economics: Year 1 & 2 Complete Revision & Practice. its pretty useful if you like to memorise

Original post by Jane122

guys help I'm struggling to make notes and I've left it late :frown: is this book good?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Jane122

Hello! Late for what? Your mocks?

Also the My Revision notes series are excellent. Love them for every subject, highly recommend you buy it but I would say if you could wait a bit, do. The year 1 & 2 book should be out soon
what have you left too late? its 2 months in. our schools gave us this New A-Level Economics: Year 1 & 2 Complete Revision & Practice. its pretty useful if you like to memorise

Where can I buy it?!!! :frown: plus, is memorising ok?
you can buy it on amazon just copy and paste the name on google
Original post by Jane122
Reply 130

Is that the CGP one? I didn't find it useful last year cus it's just like a bunch of notes. Revision should be taking information and condensing it into your own notes, CGP have already done that crucial step for you but it's helpful at the last minute I guess
Reply 131
Original post by Jane122

If it's urgent then you can memorise but when it comes to the actual exam you must make sure you understand everything. DO NOT try and memorise unless it's mark scheme structures because they're the key to the marks
I'm planning to take economics for a level and want to ask is the subject hard? Not a lot of people got A* in our school (exam board: OCR) so I'm guessing it could be... I heard there's a lot of graphs to know, right?
Reply 133
Original post by Jane122

Notes don't necessarily take long, just space them out.
I'm not familar with that book, but i'm using the two Powell books, and also the CPG a-level economics guide.
Original post by kas9
Notes don't necessarily take long, just space them out.
I'm not familar with that book, but i'm using the two Powell books, and also the CPG a-level economics guide.

But the Powell books have too much info :/// I want to do all micro and macro by December. IS physics and maths tutor good?

@zayn008
Original post by zayn008
If it's urgent then you can memorise but when it comes to the actual exam you must make sure you understand everything. DO NOT try and memorise unless it's mark scheme structures because they're the key to the marks

Isn't economics effectively memorising?

@zainyyyyy
thats more or less many subjects isn't it? surely every lesson except from essay based questions are memorisation. economics is not 100% memorisation as you have to learn how to do analysis and ****
Original post by Jane122
Isn't economics effectively memorising?

@zainyyyyy
Reply 137
Original post by Jane122
But the Powell books have too much info :/// I want to do all micro and macro by December. IS physics and maths tutor good?

@zayn008

Do you mean Hodder education? I also recommend them. I've used every revision guide and in my opinion those ones were the best but for long term revision, if it's for exam prep or in a rush then it's my revision notes. I did also use physics and maths tutor and plan to use them again, I used them as more of a checklist as I worked myself through the course. The more resources, the better. Just make the best decision on how you use them but only you can make that decision. I've used pretty much every resource for the new edexcel spec and there's a gain in all of them, some for the long term others for the short term
Reply 138
Original post by Jane122

@zayn008

Doing all of micro and macro is an ambitious target.
I'd suggest CPG guide, and using online resources
What is the easiest part of the economics paper so I don't get a U in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest