The Student Room Group

I'm an Israeli soldier. AMA

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;N2BqrpLaDVw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2BqrpLaDVw[/video]

Have you seen this? I strongly oppose the occupation but this made me respect and want to join Shin Bet. :cool:
Original post by Anonymous
Posted in relationships because so not a direct link to my main account (even though many can probably guess who this is)

Spoiler

How many innocent Palestinians have you killed? :banana::lockstock: (jks)

No but seriously I have so many questions if you have the time to answer:
> What do you think about the IWI Tavor?
> Have you been to that IDF training facility thing. I forget its name. It's like a big city used solely for training the IDF in Close Quarters Combat.
> What do you think about Israel's secret nuke stockpile?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thoughts on Netanyahu?
Original post by admonit
Yes, as a necessary measure which provides security of Israel.
Do you support Palestinian terrorism?

You must be joking...
Original post by Hydeman
A very objective analysis. :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks. It's been a while since I watched that. :holmes:

Haha. They've debated a couple times.
Original post by champ_mc99
Haha. They've debated a couple times.

I've only watched the big one that was hosted by the Fixed Point Foundation (which also hosted a similar debate between Dawkins and Lennox). Think it was in Birmingham, Alabama. :hmmmm2: The others are, if I remember rightly, difficult to get a hold of on YouTube because they keep getting taken down for infringing copyright.
It's cool! I'm totaly not related to Israel or Jews but on my last trip to Israel I met an American boy who came there after his highschool and became a soldier. He was so inspiring, so sincere and so open that it was a real-deal crush for me I guess! I saw him for only half an hour, have no idea what was his name but for a month scrolled through all IDF forums, watched all their videos to not to miss a chance to see him again, Wrote to everyone I know and to public groups if nobody was able to recognise him. Of course, privacy etc - nobody told me anything. So it's now only an interesting story. However, I'd give a lot to be able to talk to him again :smile:
Only in video games
Original post by _b_e_n_
Hey I'm from Israel too cool to see other israelis here! Don't know if I'll be going back for the army though, they still conscript me even though i've been living in the UK since I was 4

I thought you get deferment if you've lived abroad for 7 years or more?

I'd definitely recommend it either way - you'll have so much fun and meet lots of hot babes!

Original post by malebo55

I've never seen that in real life, although obviously it's scarily common on the internet (but so is racism/bigotry/stupidity in general).

That's unlucky, couldn't you reapply the next year or apply again after your conscription? And why not study law at a university in Israel?

I'm afraid the system means that once I'm in the army, I can't leave 1/3 of the way though my service and must complete it fully. I have considered going back to the Uk after I'm done but I wouldn't be eligible for student loan anymore so would have to pay full international student fees. Law in Israel is a possibility, but to be honest I actually quite like working in the security/military/intelligence field and will probably just work for the military until I'm qualified enough to go private.

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Haram under the sheets or so the say

He was so haram you would not believe! Asking for Zina all the time, and you probably think he was very pious!

----

Page 7 later
Is there a special initiation rite in your unit?

Have you seen this? I strongly oppose the occupation but this made me respect and want to join Shin Bet. :cool:

I haven't seen this, but it certainly looks interesting and I'll try to watch it when I have the time!

Original post by cbreef
How many innocent Palestinians have you killed? :banana::lockstock: (jks)

No but seriously I have so many questions if you have the time to answer:
> What do you think about the IWI Tavor?
> Have you been to that IDF training facility thing. I forget its name. It's like a big city used solely for training the IDF in Close Quarters Combat.
> What do you think about Israel's secret nuke stockpile?

>Tavor is definitely my favourite gun to have on duty because it's not much smaller than M4/16s. Depending on what I'm doing for the day will decide what I get issued though, so I'm used to having something else. The weapon I have off duty is an M4 for now, but I will get a Tavor permanently once I graduate :smile:
>I completed earlier urban combat training at Tze'Elim, which is probably what you're thinking of
>I certainly could not comment on such a stockpile if it even existed, we simply do not know!

Original post by Hihihi123
Thoughts on Netanyahu?

Already answered this one, but will be voting Likud in the next election.

Original post by RugileRar
It's cool! I'm totaly not related to Israel or Jews but on my last trip to Israel I met an American boy who came there after his highschool and became a soldier. He was so inspiring, so sincere and so open that it was a real-deal crush for me I guess! I saw him for only half an hour, have no idea what was his name but for a month scrolled through all IDF forums, watched all their videos to not to miss a chance to see him again, Wrote to everyone I know and to public groups if nobody was able to recognise him. Of course, privacy etc - nobody told me anything. So it's now only an interesting story. However, I'd give a lot to be able to talk to him again :smile:

The boy's scenario sounds very similar to mine... came here after finishing UK highschool.
How long ago was this? It'll probably be impossible to find him if he's still on active duty but if he's finished then he might be at an Israeli university. You could look around Facebook groups for aliyah students; someone might know him!

Original post by admonit
Is there a special initiation rite in your unit?

I had to do a gibush (can't say which one) for this unit. Other than that, we don't have any silly rituals or whatever like others do :smile:
[video="youtube;N2BqrpLaDVw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2BqrpLaDVw[/video]

I'm glad you took the right conclusions from the movie. You can see they're not horrible monsters plotting how to make Palestinians lives worse, they're quite sensitive and intelligent men who have a very difficult job to do, made harder by the country being led by absolute ***** like Netanyahu. I have, reluctantly, gemmed you for posting it. It's worthwhile reading the companion book, which is also excellent but you get to see their careers in much greater detail

To anyone else on the thread, I would absolutely encourage you to watch The Gatekeepers, it's probably the greatest documentary ever made. Hard left Israel haters despise it because it shows these guys, the securocrats, to be human beings, not puppet masters orchestrating conspiracies. The Israeli hard right hates it because it points out just how obnoxious and dangerous they are
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AlexanderHam
I'm glad you took the right conclusions from the movie. You can see they're not horrible monsters plotting how to make Palestinians lives worse, they're quite sensitive and intelligent men who have a very difficult job to do, made harder by the country being led by absolute ***** like Netanyahu. I have, reluctantly, gemmed you for posting it. It's worthwhile reading the companion book, which is also excellent but you get to see their careers in much greater detail

To anyone else on the thread, I would absolutely encourage you to watch The Gatekeepers, it's probably the greatest documentary ever made. Hard left Israel haters despise it because it shows these guys, the securocrats, to be human beings, not puppet masters orchestrating conspiracies. The Israeli hard right hates it because it points out just how obnoxious and dangerous they are

unfortunately i can't disagree with this post
Bump

TSR is my best source of entertainment some nights and it's fun to answer these!
Bump

TSR is my best source of entertainment some nights and it's fun to answer these!

do you know how to play backgammon?
do you know how to play backgammon?

I'm afraid I don't

Going to challenge me to an online game?
I'm afraid I don't

Going to challenge me to an online game?

Not if you don't know how to play... :tongue:

What is your typical breakfast?
Not if you don't know how to play... :tongue:

What is your typical breakfast?

Since I live on base I will have whatever is on offer for breakfast, usually a boiled egg, some bread and a piece of cheese. On my days off I will sometimes get a bus or walk to the city and buy some pancakes or other western junk food!
Since I live on base I will have whatever is on offer for breakfast, usually a boiled egg, some bread and a piece of cheese. On my days off I will sometimes get a bus or walk to the city and buy some pancakes or other western junk food!

that sounds pretty poverty i was expecting some levantine feast ngl

what is your favourite and least favourite thing about england?
Did anyone instruct you or order you to come to TSR and run this thread? I'm asking because there was extensive publicity given to the IDF unit during the last conflict in Gaza that was tasked with bombarding social media and I'm wondering if that has continued.
that sounds pretty poverty i was expecting some levantine feast ngl

what is your favourite and least favourite thing about england?

Lol fat soldiers would not be good soldiers

Favourite thing: cool weather

Least favourite thing: young people having an infinite sense of entitlement and thinking they can live without consequence

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Did anyone instruct you or order you to come to TSR and run this thread? I'm asking because there was extensive publicity given to the IDF unit during the last conflict in Gaza that was tasked with bombarding social media and I'm wondering if that has continued.

Nope, my normal tsr account has several hundred posts on it and a relatively high number of gems.

I made this thread because I get very bored at night and only have my phone for entertainment.
It's also funny to see how many hate messages I get!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending