The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine A100 2017 entry applicants

Scroll to see replies

What's everyone putting for accommodation? I wanted an ensuite and catered but I've heard vine courts not that sociable and most medical students go to Carnatic? Also if you're at Liverpool uni it'd be great to hear which accommodation you recommend!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swan123
Has anyone got any thoughts in making a decision between Liverpool and Manchester?

I personally feel that Manchester is a better university and the city is amazing and very interesting so you won't be bored. Liverpool is v low on student satisfaction but ultimately just go with your gut feeling
I've actually firmed l'pool over Manchester becos I'm from Manchester and wanted to go to a new city
Reply 1782
I'm at vine court this year and I promise it is very sociable! Its only a 10/15 minute walk to lectures which is really good seeing as you'll have a 9am lecture everyday in 1st year. Being catered is so much easier, and the food is actually nice!
Original post by asdsa
I'm at vine court this year and I promise it is very sociable! Its only a 10/15 minute walk to lectures which is really good seeing as you'll have a 9am lecture everyday in 1st year. Being catered is so much easier, and the food is actually nice!

Hey:smile: What are your opinions on the on-campus accommodations? Have you heard anything about those? - They are just a bit cheaper than the others is all
Reply 1784
Original post by Plato1
Hey:smile: What are your opinions on the on-campus accommodations? Have you heard anything about those? - They are just a bit cheaper than the others is all

Vine court is the only catered on-campus and there's 16 per flat and 2 flats per floor so you'll meet lots of people. If you go self-catered the flats are smaller (4-6). Also the catered rooms at vine are really spacious, there's a full size double bed, ensuite and plenty of floor space.

Philharmonic is really nice, its very spacious - and the kitchen's are really big

Melville is sort of like a house - it's quite simple and not ensuite. I wasn't really too keen on the look of Melville.

Then crown is the closest to the med school (about a 5 minute walk) and the kitchens are also really big.

Carnatic and greenback are 'more social' because theres more people per corridor and you can walk about your whole block, whereas on-campus accommodation is more private, so you can only get into your flat where they'll be 14-16 people if you're catered or 6 people if you're non-catered.

Also you have to think, if you want to have a 20 minute bus journey into uni everyday, but I have friends off-campus who love it - I think anywhere you go you'll enjoy it and make lots of friends.
Original post by soon2bedead
I personally feel that Manchester is a better university and the city is amazing and very interesting so you won't be bored. Liverpool is v low on student satisfaction but ultimately just go with your gut feeling
I've actually firmed l'pool over Manchester becos I'm from Manchester and wanted to go to a new city

I agree, I really like both cities but it does worry be that the student satisfaction for Liverpool is so low, did this put you off at all when making a decision?
Original post by swan123
I agree, I really like both cities but it does worry be that the student satisfaction for Liverpool is so low, did this put you off at all when making a decision?

I think that you should take the student satisfaction with a pinch of salt. I know someone who went to Liverpool and loved it but never actually filled in any survey. A small number of students bother to fill this stuff in as they are off doing other things etc. It is not really a true reflection etc
Just to say that the student satisfaction is from the old course structure of PBL and that has completely changed now we do CBL. I personally love the course and feel well taught.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asdsa

Is there any way you could show us/me your timetable from the start of the year? thanks
Original post by SGHD26716
Do you feel you get to know enough science. It's just on the website it says science is taught by PBL modules

We have plenty of lectures where we learn the content and its CBL which is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also with the DBS check, how does that work?

We had to just take the forms in to the office staff during the first week I think. Then we had to show a few pieces of ID and they sent the DBS for us. It was all timetabled so don't worry.

Then when we got the certificate through we had to take it to get photocopied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So at the moment I don't need to do anything and they will provide me with everything?

Thanks for your help. Many thanks

They sent the DBS form by post to everyone last year after the offer became unconditional I think in August then you just had to take it in on the day they ask for it when you start in September. That's how I remember it anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I'm guessing a similar process applies to the health check as well

When you get your unconditional offer after exam results you have to get your GP to sign something to say you've had all your injections and stuff. Some GPs charge like £80 for it which is a bit shady.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does the uni provide us with what we need to get signed?

Yes don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The cutoff was 80.
Is this for the interview?

For an offer.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
For an offer.

Do you know what it was out of by any chance?
Original post by El3398
Do you know what it was out of by any chance?

I think it was 120, 6 stations and 20 points per station.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
I think it was 120, 6 stations and 20 points per station.

Ah okay, thank you!
Original post by mansi.t
Omg unconditional offer woah thats so great congrats! If you don't mind me asking, have you already taken your final exams or they gave u an unconditional offer based on your predicted/forecast results?

Hey just wondering wether you will be firming Liverpool? Im an international applicant too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending