The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good evening everyone, hope you are all very well...

Just a quick query, got my AS first module results back yesterday, got a B, I can't moan however, I will resit it next Summer and get an A. :smile:

Anyway, adjective endings. Can someone please help me, I've got the 3 tables, the only problem is the technical jargon in the textbook, thus can somebody please give me a nice, easy breakdown of when it is appropriate to use which.

Thanking in advance!

IWBA
I've learnt all 3 tables.

Basically, I think this is how it falls.

1= All take their own 'der' ending except Gen M&N, they take en= No article- Es gibt viele Leute
2= Golden 5 or so I call 'em, all take their own, rest take en= Ein- Sie ist ein huebsches Maedchen
3= The magic golden 5 come back all with e this time= Der- Diese klugen Kinder haben mir geholfen

I know their are words that like lead to these like wenig/viel/all for 1, obviously all the mein/kein/dein/sein... for 2, and for 3 its the dies, jen, jed... words.

Right?

I think. If this is right, I have self taught myself something.

I may cry.

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Sorry if I repeat anything, but I think this bulletin explains my retarded thoughts better. I'm quite chuffed.

another thing mastered. got 10 minutes?

basically first table is same as the for der/die/das just genetiv m and n are en not es.

number 2, the golden 5 are as in table 1, rest are en.

number 3, the golden 5 are e. rest are en.

they come after these respectively

1= viele ___ leute, wenige ___________ leute.
2= keine _______ leute, unsere _______________leute.
3= die __________ leute, diese ___________ leute,

I like the word leute.
I Wanna Be Adored
Anyway, adjective endings. Can someone please help me, I've got the 3 tables, the only problem is the technical jargon in the textbook, thus can somebody please give me a nice, easy breakdown of when it is appropriate to use which.

There's a summary of adjective endings on the TSR wiki - click the link in the top right to see it.

wtid
But Billy I don't get how there isn't an indirect object? The block of flats is the thing being lived in...

I didn't say there wasn't an indirect object (though there isn't). :wink: It's just grammatical terminology. The block of flats is clearly doing something in the sentence, but it's not a direct object (because it's not the 'victim' of the verb) and it's not an indirect object (because it's not the recipient of the action of the verb). In fact, "in einem Hochhaus" I would say was an adverbial phrase of position. But grammatical terminology differs depending on who you ask. The most important thing isn't learning what it's called (because you'll always find someone to argue with you), it's learning that "in" takes accusative or dative, but here it's obviously dative, so the word is "einem".

verse
generalebriety: the neuter form of ein can also be ein if i'm not wrong? if the noun in question is the subject and not the object, for male and neuter nouns 'ein' is used and for female nouns 'eine' is used. for eg. das ist ein Auto, das ist eine Lampe...please correct me if im wrong.

You're right, and davireland has given quite a good explanation above. :smile: I can also add my contribution - again, check on the wiki, I wrote a small section of a page on this somewhere or other. :smile:
Thanks for the article, kind of gutted I went to all that effort, but hey when it is actually so simple... :biggrin:
hey, are there people who are doing German for A Level by any chance?
*is doing German coursework*
Reply 2106
Yeeeees....
gooner1592
Yeeeees....

oh good, because i wasnt sure how much better than me everyone else would be:smile:
Reply 2108
millymoo9
oh good, because i wasnt sure how much better than me everyone else would be:smile:

:p: There's people who are at A-level in here, pre- and post-A-level;yes; Then there are a number of German's;yes;
Reply 2109
millymoo9

Oh don't worry you're surely better than me, I'm only up to GCSE standard if that (although I've only been learning since September)
I'm taking A Level German in one year this coming september having realised thats what I want to do in the future...lol. Politics and Nursing didn't work out for me.
Clarence
I'm taking A Level German in one year this coming september having realised thats what I want to do in the future...lol. Politics and Nursing didn't work out for me.

Well speaking from experience... If you really have a passion for it, stick with it. I mean at the beginning of the year, I'm in year 12 at the moment, I was really, really upset about simply not getting the whole case thing as well as some other grammar. And as our teacher says, German is so great as it has clear cut rules, that are almost mathematic. Seriously, it's worth sticking with because when you get things, like I got the adjective endings the other night, you feel so much better. Also, with smaller groups of smarter, more dedicated in far 'Germaner' lessons and speaking much more German, you will be amazed at how quickly the quality of your German improved.

Good luck with it all. :smile:

On a more selfish note, if I took German with History at University, would my degree still have the credibility of a single honours degree in the subjects? I really must continue doing German; it's a passion of mine, however I do need something alongside it and since as I'm only doing 3 AS Levels, History seems the obvious choice (Politics can be a bit 'drab' in places, and I don't want to do that at University...)
gooner1592
:p: There's people who are at A-level in here, pre- and post-A-level;yes; Then there are a number of German's;yes;

A-leveler here! I'm not the best though, which is why I ask mostly questions :tongue: I've got great advice from here!
I'm doing A2 Level German but I'm not too good, I enjoy it but i am not 'naturally talented', history is my real forte.
I'm at uni, and doing maths (and not German... bah). Will be picking up a German diploma course next year though, presuming I get a place of course...
that makes me feel a bit better :smile: especially the fact that peole arent just talking in german, coz that would be a bit intimidating.

German is so great as it has clear cut rules, that are almost mathematic.

i agree completely except for verbs and stuff which take a bit more learning...the only problem is when i do grammar excercises i can get full marks no problem, but as soon as i start talking/ writing essays i forget everythign i know about grammar ...:s-smilie:
anyone else have the same problem?
millymoo9
that makes me feel a bit better :smile: especially the fact that peole arent just talking in german, coz that would be a bit intimidating.

i agree completely except for verbs and stuff which take a bit more learning...the only problem is when i do grammar excercises i can get full marks no problem, but as soon as i start talking/ writing essays i forget everythign i know about grammar ...:s-smilie:
anyone else have the same problem?

Yeah, however that's how it goes. It's all a learning curve, once you really do know them inside out, and you've ensured you can identify the correct ending or whatever it should take/be, then you'll be well on your way. It's just exposure, things do suddenly just click but it is always the same, stick as it, keep practicing and one day you may be as arrogant as me... No, I'm far from amazing at German, myself. But yeah, once you've practiced using them carefully, I think they do start sticking- it's just being in those good habits. But let us all smile. :smile:
Yeah i agree with the clear cut thing. I picked up a book in waterstones to brush up on my GCSE german skills and it's remarkable how much i remember...im very excited about studying it again!!!

GOD how sad am i? lol.
Reply 2118
Also...
Was soll ich sagen...hmmm...
Irgendwie bin ih hier ohne Genehmigung, ich weiß nicht wie als ob ich sei jetzt ahnungslos wie eine Schildkröte.:biggrin: (I know, I make stupid comments!).
Darf ich mich sie besuchen? Obwohl ich noch nicht eines offizelles Mitglied ist, weil ich nicht mehr schon warten kann, um Deutsch mit euch zusammen zu sprechen!
*<---und dann hat sie jedermann entlief gesehen* Ach nein! Lauf nicht weg von mich bitte!XD
Dennoch, Mit herzlichem Grüße!
Reply 2119
yg110uk
Also...
Was soll ich sagen...hmmm...
Irgendwie bin ih hier ohne Genehmigung, ich weiß nicht wie aber bin ich jetzt ahnungslos wie eine Schildkröte.:biggrin:
Darf ich mich sie besuchen? Obwohl ich noch nicht eines offizelles Mitglied ist, weil ich nicht mehr schon warten kann, um Deutsch mit euch zusammen zu sprechen!
*<---und dann hat sie jedermann entlief gesehen* Ach nein! Lauf nicht weg von mich bitte!XD
Dennoch, Mit herzlichem Grüße!

Blödsinn, auch wenn du noch nicht offiziell beigetreten bist, bist du natürlich genauso willkommen.:wink:
Ein paar kleine Korrekturen:

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending