The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5240
Or just change your keyboard settings and then toggle between English and German keyboards by pressing control and tab I think it is. Can't remember now, been a while since I used a PC.
Reply 5241
Fleece
Or just change your keyboard settings and then toggle between English and German keyboards by pressing control and tab I think it is. Can't remember now, been a while since I used a PC.

Do you just use smoke signals to converse with your bf in Aus then?:p:
wtid

Phone maybe? :tongue:
Reply 5243
wtid

No no, I moved to a mac :p:
wow a german learners society, that is awesome.
Reply 5245
wannabe mexican
wow a german learners society, that is awesome.

Warum? Du moechtest einen Mexikaner sein :p:

(did I get the case right there?)
Reply 5246
wtid

:no:
It should be "ein Mexikaner" - Nominativ.
Reply 5247
hobnob
:no:
It should be "ein Mexikaner" - Nominativ.

Hmm strange - well, if it was accusative, I'd have had the ending right, right?:p:

I thought the "du" would be nominativ therefore "a mexican" should be accusative. Oh well, I've only started learning cases this morning so I'm not too worried :p: Should be helpful, 50 minutes on the tube each morning, may as well use the time productively - although how much grammar I will take in at 8am is yet to be seen!
wtid

Ich will kein Mexikaner sein...ist bloß ein Spitzname von irgendwann als ich 15 war.
Reply 5249
wtid
Hmm strange - well, if it was accusative, I'd have had the ending right, right?:p:

I thought the "du" would be nominativ therefore "a mexican" should be accusative. Oh well, I've only started learning cases this morning so I'm not too worried :p: Should be helpful, 50 minutes on the tube each morning, may as well use the time productively - although how much grammar I will take in at 8am is yet to be seen!

It would be accusative if you said "du möchtest einen Mexikaner" - but that's not quite the same thing.:wink: It'll be slightly easier if you try to remember what your main verb form here actually is; it's not just "du möchtest" but "du möchtest sein", and "sein" requires the nominative.
Does it make any more sense now?
Reply 5250
hobnob
It would be accusative if you said "du möchtest einen Mexikaner" - but that's not quite the same thing.:wink: It'll be slightly easier if you try to remember what your main verb form here actually is; it's not just "du möchtest" but "du möchtest sein", and "sein" requires the nominative.
Does it make any more sense now?

Yes thanks :smile: I didn't know that sein requires nominative - is that always the case (pun not intended)?

Naja ich muss ins Bett gehen. Ich werde morgen deine Antwort lesen.
wtid
Yes thanks :smile: I didn't know that sein requires nominative - is that always the case (pun not intended)?

yeah it really is always the case. which helps out if you don't know how to put something into a tense then just use sein
Argh, passive confusion!

How does 'Eine nette Tante sieht man immer gern' go into the passive? I'm thinking 'man hat gesieht gern von die nette Tante' but that just sounds wrong. :s-smilie: :puke:
Reply 5253
Gleichsetzungsnominativ. Not sure what it is in English haha but yeah, always with sein, werden and bleiben. And a few more but these are the main culprits.

Just think of the verb as being an equal sign then, making both subject and object gleich.

Er ist ein Idiot. Er = ein Idiot

If that makes sense. Man, I didn't sleep last night. Should probably go to bed now, I feel a bit hyper haha.
Reply 5254
kiss_me_now9
Argh, passive confusion!

How does 'Eine nette Tante sieht man immer gern' go into the passive? I'm thinking 'man hat gesieht gern von die nette Tante' but that just sounds wrong.

Eine nette Tante wird immer gern gesehen.
kiss_me_now9
Argh, passive confusion!

How does 'Eine nette Tante sieht man immer gern' go into the passive? I'm thinking 'man hat gesieht gern von die nette Tante' but that just sounds wrong. :s-smilie: :puke:

eine nette Tante wird immer gern gesehen
It's too late for this... I don't understand how you've both got there?
Reply 5257
Well...yours makes no sense basically :P Gesieht doesn't exist for a start :p:

Just the basic rules of passive.

In the original, break it down into components.

Eine nette Tante sieht man immer gern

Man is the subject. Eine nette Tante is the object.

So take your object, and remove the subject from it, then use a form of werden and the past participle.

I'm not too hot at explaining stuff sorry, I just tend to do it :-/
kiss_me_now9
It's too late for this... I don't understand how you've both got there?

yeha Fleece explains it well. YOu just look at what is being seen. this is eine Tante. then use the past participle of the verb sehen with the form of werden for a singular third person
the passive voice makes me cry :sadnod:

Latest

Trending

Trending