The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
hobnob
Hmmm, schwierig. Das Konzept existiert im Deutschen nicht, also kann man eigentlich nur umschreiben. "Leute, die von Oxford und Cambridge abgelehnt wurden" vielleicht?:dontknow:

Gute Idee :smile:
hobnob
"omg oxbridge >>>>>>>>>>> anywher else:eek:", remember?:wink:

Aaah.. verstehe jetzt. :p: Ich hätte vielleicht 'angeblich' erst im Wörterbuch suchen sollen. :p:

Richard519
Guten Tag.

Ich heisse Richard und ich studiere Deutsch fuer das Abitur, und ich werde es an der Uni studieren.

Willkommen. :smile:
Reply 1742
Titaniyum
5 verschiedene Audis!? :eek:

Na ja, ich habe viele ähnliche Geschichten schon gehört und sie sind, würde ich sagen, worüber ich mich kümmere. Ich glaube, dass ich, wie du, mit solchen Leuten nicht verstehen könnte.. bin ohne Frage keinen 'Toff'. :p:

Die Unterricht war auch schlecht? Das hatte ich bisher nie gehört aber ich möchte natürlich überhaupt nicht, dass mein Deutsch wegen schlechten Unterricht verschlechtert.. Ehrlich gesagt, verschlechternde Deutsch und Toffs überall locken mir überhaupt nicht an.. :s-smilie:

Danke schön. :smile:

Ja..ich will dich aber nicht zwingen, Nottingham zu hassen :tongue:
Fleece
Ja..ich will dich aber nicht zwingen, Nottingham zu hassen :tongue:

Natürlich nicht, aber... you make a good point. :p:

Ich glaube, dass ich die Unis nochmal besichtigen kann, bevor ich meine abschließende Entscheidung treffen muss.. sie werden mir hoffentlich dabei helfen. :smile:
Reply 1744
Ja gute Idee. Ich habe niemals Universitäten besichtigt :-\ In der Tat, das erste Mal, dass ich Nottingham (die Stadt und die Uni) gesehen habe, war als ich dort umgezogen bin! Nicht die beste Idee, aber na ja!
Reply 1745
Fleece
deutsche Autos eigentlich :wink:

achjaaa achso! lol :biggrin: :biggrin: man bin ich dumm. peinlich :laugh: :blushing: hab irgendwie an was ganz anderes gedacht^^ :biggrin:
Reply 1746
Is there a way to say "used to" in German? I used to go swimming, I used to watch Blackadder etc.

Or do you simply say "I did _____"?

Cheers
Reply 1747
wtid
Is there a way to say "used to" in German? I used to go swimming, I used to watch Blackadder etc.

Or do you simply say "I did _____"?

Cheers

You'd just stick in a "früher", because that implies you no longer do so. As in:
"Ich bin früher viel geschwommen" / "Ich habe früher immer Blackadder geschaut".
Reply 1748
generalebriety
Ich requires a capital at the start of the sentence. (And, very rarely and not much outside philosophy books, when it's a noun - das Ich.) Not anywhere else.

so if i want to say "Ich.....(go jogging)........und ich... (go swimming) ...." (as in, 2 'ich'es in the same sentence) i don't need a capital for the second ich?

sorry if this question sounds really basic- i'm a complete beginner
Reply 1749
Teccy
so if i want to say "Ich.....(go jogging)........und ich... (go swimming) ...." (as in, 2 'ich'es in the same sentence) i don't need a capital for the second ich?

sorry if this question sounds really basic- i'm a complete beginner

The only words that take a capital letter in German are nouns (anything that takes an article) and proper nouns (names, etc).
^ What hobnob said. (So, in particular, no, 'ich' doesn't take a capital letter unless it's at the start of a sentence.)
Reply 1751
hobnob
The only words that take a capital letter in German are nouns (anything that takes an article) and proper nouns (names, etc).

and certain personal pronouns "Sie" and "Ihr" (or do those count as proper nouns? I don't even know the terminology of English grammar...:rolleyes: )
Reply 1752
wtid
and certain personal pronouns "Sie" and "Ihr" (or do those count as proper nouns? I don't even know the terminology of English grammar...:rolleyes: )

Ah, yes, indeed. Well done on remembering the one exception.:biggrin:

By the way, all forms of "du"/"ihr" (as in the plural of "du") as forms of address in letters used to be capitalised as well before the spelling reform.
Reply 1753
hobnob
Ah, yes, indeed. Well done on remembering the one exception.:biggrin:

:redface:
Reply 1754
Ah, too bad, seems that I can't rep you for that at the moment. I will, though.:wink:
wtid

Well spotted. :biggrin:
Reply 1756
hobnob
Ah, too bad, seems that I can't rep you for that at the moment. I will, though.:wink:

Danke Elizabth :biggrin:

btw (how do you say that in German?) wie alt bist du? Heute ist meinen Geburtstag (accusative?) und ich muss Arbeiten, boah! Naja...
Reply 1757
wtid
Danke Elizabth :biggrin:

btw (how do you say that in German?) wie alt bist du? Heute ist mein Geburtstag (accusative?) und ich muss Arbeiten, boah! Naja...

No, it's "mein" - nominative. Geburtstag is the subject of the sentence ("heute" isn't a noun, so it can't be the subject, even though its position in the sentence makes it look as though it is). "Arbeiten" shouldn't be capitalised because it's a verb and, as you know, only nouns, proper nouns and Sie/Ihr take a capital letter.:wink:

Not sure what the "boah" is supposed to mean, though...

Edit: Oh, and in case it actually is your birthday today: Congratulations.:biggrin:
Reply 1758
hobnob
No, it's "mein" - nominative. Geburtstag is the subject of the sentence ("heute" isn't a noun, so it can't be the subject, even though its position in the sentence makes it look as though it is). "Arbeiten" shouldn't be capitalised because it's a verb and, as you know, only nouns, proper nouns and Sie/Ihr take a capital letter.:wink:

Not sure what the "boah" is supposed to mean, though...

Edit: Oh, and in case it actually is your birthday today: Congratulations.:biggrin:

Yeah I looked at the position of Heute. How can it not be a noun?:confused: It's naming a point in time! So is heute never a noun or what?

As for arbeiten, yeah silly mistake. I wish I had more time, but when I'm at work I can't exactly spend lots of time checking back through my post...my boss may get a little annoyed at me doing no work :p:

And finally, yes, it is my birthday so thanks :biggrin: And boah...well, I dunno, it's just like "pfff" but all Germans I know use it instead, I thought it was common.

(actually this is the "finally"..you didn't answer how old you are, unless you don't want to say :smile: )
Reply 1759
wtid
Yeah I looked at the position of Heute. How can it not be a noun?:confused: It's naming a point in time! So is heute never a noun or what?

Because it's an adverb, just as "today" is an adverb. "Heute" can be a noun, but then it's "das Heute" (for example in politicians' gibberish along the lines of - "wir müssen das Gestern hinter uns lassen und dem Heute entgegengehen damit es ein Morgen gibt"). That's quite a distinct usage, though, so it's easy to tell it apart from the normal usage as an adverb.

And finally, yes, it is my birthday so thanks :biggrin: And boah...well, I dunno, it's just like "pfff" but all Germans I know use it instead, I thought it was common.

Ah, OK, I think I know what you mean now. Unless I'm mistaken, though, "boah" actually signals approval / being impressed by something. It's more "wow"-like than "pfff"-like if you ask me... If you want to express dislike, "pah" or "bah" probably works better. But don't take my word for it - better double-check with one of the other Germans.

(actually this is the "finally"..you didn't answer how old you are, unless you don't want to say :smile: )

Oops, sorry, I didn't realise that was a question. I'm 27 - moderately old by TSR's standards, but I don't care.:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending