The Student Room Group

Interview - Northumbria - Adult nursing

Hi all,

My Wife has an interview at Northumbria University on Monday.
This is in relation to her application for the adult nursing diploma.

The letter states she will watch a 10 minute presentation on nursing, then complete a written assessment, before being split into a group of four for a interview.

How should my Wife best prepare for this?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul
Anybody???
Reply 2
My sister is a nurse. I asked her, she says they look for people who show a willingness to listen to other people as well as give their own opinions. Tell your wife to listen to what the other applicants are saying and try to make comment on what they say, to be friendly and encouraging to the other applicants. They are wanting to see someone who is assertive and not afraid to give their opinion but also caring towards other people and a good listener.
At my sister's interview they gave them topics to discuss. Her topic was to discuss recent developments in nursing. She spoke about the impact on nurses of the quicker turnover of patients resulting from quicker discharges, nurses taking over some tasks which used to be performed by doctors etc.
Another topic given was " Nursing is a vocation. Discuss".
Tell your wife it wouldn't hurt to have at least an awareness of current issues affecting nursing and the NHS in general. If she gets a chance mention things like nurses being the patient's advocate when they are too sick to speak up for themselves, how nurses should care for patient's in a holistic way, assessing all aspects of the person including their emotional state as well as their physical state.
To prepare she should read some of the Nursing Journals which deal with current issues rather than clinical educational journals. For example, The Nursing Times and Nursing standard as well as reading up on NHS issues in newspapers. (tell her she doesn't need to be an expert in government policy,just show an awareness of current issues that are relevant, like PFIs (private enterprise initiatives) etc) This web site should help with government initiatives.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Most important of all those is that they will not be assessing knowledge, but more suitability to be a nurse, so the most important thing is that she uses the group interview to show that, by listening and encouraging others and at the same time showing she is assertive enough to give her views. Also tell her to relax and try not to be too nervous, think of it as a chat, as its usually quite informal with friendly interviewers. Good luck!
Reply 3
Oops, just realised I am far too late and the interview is tomorrow. :redface:
geordiepaul2001
Hi all,

My Wife has an interview at Northumbria University on Monday.
This is in relation to her application for the adult nursing diploma.

The letter states she will watch a 10 minute presentation on nursing, then complete a written assessment, before being split into a group of four for a interview.

How should my Wife best prepare for this?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

That sounds really painful! How will they do it? Just split down the middle then chopped in two?

Seriously if she has time then she should try the Student Room forum inthe Healthcare section. She may be able to talk to someone from Northumbria who has been through the process.

Tell her good luck and I hope it's not too painful!
Thanks for the feedback.
My Wife's interview is at 1230hrs, so I hope she has crammed enough lol.

I will keep you posted on her progress.
Thanks once again,

Paul
Reply 6
Hi.i have almost finished my application and wondered if ill take the iterview for adult nursing, how many days of scholl will be in a week?my baby its only 13 months and need to know whats happening exactly?tks
Anysya
Reply 7
hi all.can you help with some answers please?i want to apply for this coming year -adult nursing,and just wondering how many days of school will be in the fisrt year?i have a baby which is 13 months and need to know before ill do this step.
many thanks
anysya
Reply 8
The nurses that I share modules with are in 5 days a week, pretty much for most of the day except for Monday. This might be different to the nursing course you want to do though of course, so as suggested above, best check with the university directly.
Reply 9
Hi.Many thanks for your reply.

Latest