The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance undergraduate applications 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AD490995
Hi, not sure what Uclan is but at AS I got AAAB and am predicted A*AA and at GCSE I got 2A* 6A 3B and 1C. :smile:

Uclan is university of central Lancashire. And then there's university of Lancaster.
Original post by negatron
Uclan is university of central Lancashire. And then there's university of Lancaster.

Oh right, I applied to Lancaster though :smile:
Original post by CallumJSC
Yeah basically what they told me a bit - I'm still a bit unsure though on the exact different between their work placement and others and also why so few students go on one? Maybe it's because other UNIS provide more support with finding a placement or something?

Hi,

I am in my first year doing UG Accounting and Finance at Warwick. I understand why you are unsure about the placement year, I was pretty surprised that only 7/150 students applied for a placement year hahha
I think one of the main reasons why so few people apply is because a lot of WBS students are international students who are sponsored by a company in their home country. They then have to go back to their country and work for that company after they graduate, and therefore I guess the year in industry doesn't make much difference to them.

Please don't let it put you off, Warwick is a great uni and their Business School is also very prestigious.

In addition, I am currently in the application process for an EY Scholarship, which is only open to 3 unis in the UK (the other 2 unis Bath and Lancaster I believe) so there are definitely opportunities to apply for a placement year.

If you have any more questions let me know :smile: I am happy to answer
(edited 7 years ago)
I've applied for accounting and finance with foundation year at Warwick. They've currently invited me for an interview but i have no idea what to expect from this interview. Does anyone have any tips?
Original post by dannio23
I've applied for accounting and finance with foundation year at Warwick. They've currently invited me for an interview but i have no idea what to expect from this interview. Does anyone have any tips?

Hello Dannio. Would you mind telling me what your current grades are and any targets grades? I applied for that course and got rejected, and they only gave me a very vague feedback email so I'm interested in what they were looking for. Thanks and congratz on getting an interview! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AngryWalrus
Hello Dannio. Would you mind telling me what your current grades are and any targets grades? I applied for that course and got rejected, and they only gave me a very vague feedback email so I'm interested in what they were looking for. Thanks and congratz on getting an interview! :smile:

I'm sorry to hear about that. My target grades were three C's. My interview is next wednesday and they said they were going to give me a case study on the day to prepare for but i have no idea what the case study is going to be about. I'm absolutely stressing about it.
I'm sorry to hear about that. My target grades were three C's. My interview is next wednesday and they said they were going to give me a case study on the day to prepare for but i have no idea what the case study is going to be about. I'm absolutely stressing about it.

Case study? Crikey, sounds a bit strange. Perhaps jot up on some "general" finance and accounting terms and processes? I'm doing an IT BTEC where I'm predicted DDD, but I got denied staightup, so I assume it's because my GCSEs aren't very fantastic :/ Mostly Cs, 4 Bs and 1 A.
Case study? Crikey, sounds a bit strange. Perhaps jot up on some "general" finance and accounting terms and processes? I'm doing an IT BTEC where I'm predicted DDD, but I got denied staightup, so I assume it's because my GCSEs aren't very fantastic :/ Mostly Cs, 4 Bs and 1 A.

yeah i might just have to look up on accounting and finance terms. I know they also had strict criteria for getting accepted onto the course, it may have been that.
What other uni's did you apply to?
yeah i might just have to look up on accounting and finance terms. I know they also had strict criteria for getting accepted onto the course, it may have been that.
What other uni's did you apply to?

Do you mean the criteria like: "Being a first generation entrant to higher education (i.e. neither parent has attended university)." ,etc? If so, did they ask you to confirm those prior to the interview? I just assumed they would ask if they needed them, so didn't send anything straight away.

I applied to Warwick, York University, Durham, Exeter and Cass.

Rejected from Cass (would have rejected, bit of a random choice lol) and Warwick.
Didn't meet the entry requirements for Durham foundation (only accepted people without FE...) and I got an offer from York. Still haven't heard from Exeter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you mean the criteria like: "Being a first generation entrant to higher education (i.e. neither parent has attended university)." ,etc? If so, did they ask you to confirm those prior to the interview? I just assumed they would ask if they needed them, so didn't send anything straight away.

I applied to Warwick, York University, Durham, Exeter and Cass.

Rejected from Cass (would have rejected, bit of a random choice lol) and Warwick.
Didn't meet the entry requirements for Durham foundation (only accepted people without FE...) and I got an offer from York. Still haven't heard from Exeter.

yeah criteria's such as that. Mine was already stated on my UCAS form when i was applying.
I heard Exeter take a long time to reply back to offers. Never heard of Cass though.
Do you know which one you want to go to?
yeah criteria's such as that. Mine was already stated on my UCAS form when i was applying.
I heard Exeter take a long time to reply back to offers. Never heard of Cass though.
Do you know which one you want to go to?

Mmmm,I didn't mention that on my UCAS form wonder if that made a difference. I suppose I'd like to go to York. Warwick was my first choice but obviously that's not an option now.

I debated just reapplying next year to Warwick again but it's a bit of a gamble. It's a shame a lot of these universities don't value BTECs as equally as A Levels/
(edited 7 years ago)
Mmmm,I didn't mention that on my UCAS form wonder if that made a difference. I suppose I'd like to go to York. Warwick was my first choice but obviously that's not an option now.

I debated just reapplying next year to Warwick again but it's a bit of a gamble. It's a shame a lot of these universities don't value BTECs as equally as A Levels/

yeah it's a real shame. York is also a good uni as well. If anything, you can always go through adjustment for warwick on results day.

What course are you applying for?
yeah it's a real shame. York is also a good uni as well. If anything, you can always go through adjustment for warwick on results day.

What course are you applying for?

All accounting and finance, specifically "Accounting, Business Finance and Management" at York :smile: Yes I thought about going for clearing, but I don't think there would be any places at a prestigious university like Warwick?
All accounting and finance, specifically "Accounting, Business Finance and Management" at York :smile: Yes I thought about going for clearing, but I don't think there would be any places at a prestigious university like Warwick?

Well it doesn't hurt to try right? :smile:
Still waiting on the offer from Warwick and Edinburgh

Got accepted to Manchester, Notttingham and Exeter

Why is Warwick taking so long ?
Original post by chillaxxerr
Still waiting on the offer from Warwick and Edinburgh

Got accepted to Manchester, Notttingham and Exeter

Why is Warwick taking so long ?

They took some time with me too, hopefully they will get back soon :smile:
Original post by CallumJSC
They took some time with me too, hopefully they will get back soon :smile:

When did you send your application and when did you receive your offer ?

May I also know what condition is listed on your offer letter ?

Thanks
Original post by chillaxxerr
When did you send your application and when did you receive your offer?

May I also know what condition is listed on your offer letter?

Thanks

Sent my application about the 15th of October, got my Warwick offer on the 1st of November. Seemed longer at the time because 3 of my other choices got back within a day or two of sending :smile:

My condition listed is AAA in 3 A-levels, including an A in maths and this excludes critical thinking and general studies.
Applied and got offers for Accounting and Finance from Warwick, Bath, City (Cass) and QMUL. Applied to LSE as well but I'm still waiting. Has anyone on this thread heard of or actually got an offer to study A&F at LSE?
Original post by RehanJak98
Applied and got offers for Accounting and Finance from Warwick, Bath, City (Cass) and QMUL. Applied to LSE as well but I'm still waiting. Has anyone on this thread heard of or actually got an offer to study A&F at LSE?

Which program was your personal statement based on ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending