The Student Room Group

Declining all grades, need some advice. Difference between Extra and Clearing

I got ABCD, will decline all, retake all, drop the D, which will hopefully become an A come March time. I will most likely be predicted AAB. Now this screws up alot of things for me. I want to apply to a UCL course which requires AAA, and i know i can get AAA, but the teacher wont think i will, thus the B prediction. So if i apply to this course, i will obviously get rejected, but is there any way after results day i can call them and ask look i got AAA and you rejected me blah blah, or is that just clearing?

Another thing, what is the difference between clearing and Extra. Because some courses in Extra this year I would've liked to apply to (hoping the same courses come next year), but i don't have the grades then, i get them on the 16th, so how does one apply through extra etc?

Thanks
Reply 1
After results day it is clearing.

Extra is what happens after the main application season, but before results day. if you dont get any offers from your main 6 applications, you can then apply, before results day, through UCAS Extra.

Clearing is for people who dont make their offers on results day.

Perhaps if you're retaking everything it would be worth dropping back a year? Retake your AS results (not sure why you want to retake teh A?) in 2007-8, then sit A2 in 2008-9, applying through ucas in September 2008 for entry to uni in September 2009.
Reply 2
So if im predicted AAB, and i get no offers before results, can i apply via Extra for AAA courses? Or is that impossible? ... And i will do em all this year AS and A2, but if i don't get in anywhere good, i'll gap.
Reply 3
Do you really think you can cope with taking all your AS and A2 exams in one year, and still get good grades? Please dont take that the wrong way, but generally the more exams you do at one time, the worse your overall grades for them are.

And you can - but i doubt there will be too many AAA courses with spaces left by Extra. Also, if you're only predicted AAB why would an AAA course make you an offer?
Speak to your teacher about your prediction and the course you're applying for. Convince them that you're committed to getting AAA and that you'll pull out all the stops and they may be willing to improve your predicted grades...plus if they know how passionate and keen you are then they're likely to provide a better reference.
Reply 5
In chem, i got a C, i will deffo be predicted a B for it, but i was on target to get an A in it, in the mocks i got 95%, highest in the year. So that might change their tone...but this year we will get a new teacher who i don't know, so she wont know that I was actually good at chem at one point of my life. Old teacher left.

Well this year Computing at Imperial was in Extra, so i was hoping to go for that in Extra. UCL doesn't seem to be in Extra, and isn't in clearing so yeah not them.

Latest

Trending

Trending