The Student Room Group

Weird sleep pattern

Whenever I have time off school (such as the summer holidays) my body goes back to it's natural sleep pattern which seems to be awake all night and go to sleep around 6am. I can normally avoid this during school time but sometimes I get into the habit of coming home from school at 3pm, sleeping until around 7pm and then again staying awake until around 3am and getting up for school at 7am.

Well now I seem to have an even worse sleep pattern this holiday.

Yesterday I got up at 12pm. I stayed awake all day, all night and today I had a 4 hour nap 2pm to 6 pm. I've been awake since then and am absolutely wide awake. I know it's probably not a good idea to be the on the computer but TV is really boring at this time of night and I can't sleep in the pitch black or in silence.

I feel fine dispite being up sometimes as long as 40 hours with only a few hours napping although I probably look like a zombie lmao. I don't know why, but whenever it gets dark I feel wide awake no matter how many hours I've been awake and then as it gets lighter I feel more sleepy.

So, I do have a point of telling you all this useless information, really I do. Will my screwed up sleeping pattern actually have a negative effect on my health?And does anyone have any idea why I'm so screwed up with sleep?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been exactly the same since GCSEs finished...

It takes ages for your body to go back into the regular pattern, which is obviously best for your health...

I'd imagine random sleeping isn't good, the body needs rest
Story of my life :biggrin:
But I don't feel tired, at all. I know that I couldn't go to sleep right now even if I tried.
Yeh mate, I sleep around 4:30 nearly everyday, and end up waking up at 2pm.
Reply 5
I think tired welsh ppl turn into sheep as opposed to zombies but oh well:p:

Tis pretty normal, and will fix itself when you need it to. The body is adaptable :smile:
Reply 6
Same. It's normal once you get into a pattern...even if that pattern is one where you get practically no sleep, the body adapts to it.

You have to try and get it back to how it's supposed to be, which is really hard :frown:
I like it though lol. It just seems natural to me to be awake in the night and sleep in the day.
Reply 8
The worst health problem associated with insomnia is that whenever there's something genuinely wrong with you, everyone's reaction is that you "just need a good night's sleep".

In my case, this led (somewhat directly and indirectly) to hospitals, the cutting loose of my best friend/boyfriend, an even more intense inability to sleep, and an affinity with night time which can best be described as "creepy". So yeh, there're problems.
Reply 9
Legend Killer
Yeh mate, I sleep around 4:30 nearly everyday, and end up waking up at 2pm.

At least it's not just me :smile:. Yesterday was my worst in a while - 6am. Then I had to get up earlier to go out.

It just seems natural to me to be awake in the night and sleep in the day.

Same here. I've always been like that. I think I'm nocturnal...
I have a similar problem. My body seems to naturally want to go to sleep at 7am, and wake up at 3pm.

I've tried taking valerian (herbal sleep remedy - You can get it at most pharmacies) and it never seems to do the trick, even if I take three times as much as I should be doing.

Really, the only thing to do is to try and give yourself a routine, so that you can get used to a normal sleep pattern.

As for getting into a normal sleep pattern, I wait until the early hours, until I'm about to nod off, and hit the coffee. And I drink a few coffees in a row, and sporadically throughout the day to keep me awake, so that by the time the evening rolls around, I'llbe shattered, and drop off. I'll set my alarm for early next morning, so I don't sleep in.

I'mglad to see other people who have this problem. I've had this for years, and my dad used to give me no end of crap about it. it's bad enough being up at night with nothing to do, wishing you'd just fall asleep, but to have parents shouting at you because you have a sleeping problem only makes you want to keep sleeping during the day,and beinga wake at night when the 'rents aren't around.

oh, and another thing, the problem is much worse in the winter. A few years ago, I got into this cycle during winter, when the days are short, for about two weeks, and i can testify that seeing daylight for the first time in two weeks is an absolutely amazing experience. It's like going to heaven!
Reply 11
BlackpoolCraig
oh, and another thing, the problem is much worse in the winter. A few years ago, I got into this cycle during winter, when the days are short, for about two weeks, and i can testify that seeing daylight for the first time in two weeks is an absolutely amazing experience. It's like going to heaven!

Weird, mine's much worse in the summer. Or maybe it's just more noticable because I always seem to be awake and it always seems to be bloody daytime.
Mine doesn't seem to be worse in any season, just when I have too much free time.

I have no life so I'm never tired probably because I sit around the house all day on TSR or watching TV.
Reply 13
****. I remember a few hours ago when I was thinking I'm going to bed now... Time just disappears. :frown:
Reply 14
Meliae
****. I remember a few hours ago when I was thinking I'm going to bed now... Time just disappears. :frown:

indeed. it's 4am :/
4am already? Nights almost over. It's always wierd when the man on the news says "Good morning" at like 5am when I havn't even slept.
Reply 16
I started trying to get to sleep at 10pm for a really early night as well :biggrin:
Reply 17
Arghh tis nothing, since the holidays have started ive regularly been going to sleep at 6 and then waking up at around 2/3ish, although I always tell my brother to wake me up at 12 (which is early for me) I never get up!
I'm afraid it will have a negative effect on your health - albeit a minor one. You'll feel constantly tired, have no motivation to do anything, be sluggish, etc. no matter how much sleep you have, until you get back in a routine. At least, that's what I've found from (very, very extensive) experience.

Sigh. Night all.
Well I'm not noticing any health problems right now. Its probably not a good idea to have a driving lesson after being awake for 35 hours but I was wide awake and alert and my driving didn't suffer.

Latest

Trending

Trending