The Student Room Group

Liverpool Graduate Medicine A101, 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C_T_27
Hey,

I'm currently a final year on the A101 at Liverpool, ready to start F1 in August. If anyone has any questions about the course then I can try and help! They changed the curriculum for the medical school in our 2nd year of the grad course (i.e 3rd year the medical programme), so I don't know too much about the new grad first year, but I've done the new 2/3/4 year of the A101. I also did a panel interview, and I believe it has changed to a multiple station type interview, so I can't really help on that.

The prosection v dissection debate: it is prosection at a push really. They have the HARC (Human Anatomy Resource Centre) which is a huge department at the top of one of the buildings. Last time I went was in first year, but I doubt its changed. It was split into organ systems, with plastic models, information sheets, computers with quizzes, and prosections to do with that particular organ system. Anatomy BSc students do dissection, but medics don't.

Congrats for getting interviews!

Hey, I have an interview next week, thanks for offering your help!
I was wondering what the main changes were to the curriculum and what do you like the most about A101 at Liverpool?
What was it like for you in first year? Did they include quite a lot of information in to bring everyone up to speed?
In terms of the interview do you have any top tips from when you had interviews? I always think back and think I should/shouldn't have said something.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by izzypetrie
Hey, I have an interview next week, thanks for offering your help!
I was wondering what the main changes were to the curriculum and what do you like the most about A101 at Liverpool?
What was it like for you in first year? Did they include quite a lot of information in to bring everyone up to speed?
In terms of the interview do you have any top tips from when you had interviews? I always think back and think I should/shouldn't have said something.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help x

Posted from TSR Mobile

The biggest change to the course was to move away from PBL (problem based learning) to CBL (case based learning) and a more structured teaching setup.

I did PBL in my first graduate year (old curriculum) and then the next year onward was the new curriculum. PBL was set up with 3 sessions over two weeks, the first session would be to discuss the exert of text and develop learning objectives. You'd then spend the two weeks studying and learning about the topics, and the other two sessions would be to meet up and discuss what you'd found. There would also be supplementary lectures to do with that PBL topic throughout the 2 weeks. It was very student-led. Graduates would have to cram Years 1 and 2 of the 5 year undergrad into their first graduate year. This meant we could go to lectures for the first or second years (mostly second years tbh).

It was roughly split that before Christmas of first grad year, you'd join the first year undergrads in lectures, and after Christmas you became essentially a second year undergrad. There was a lot of information in first grad year, as by the end of it you sit the 2nd year undergraduate exams. It really depended on what degree you did first as to how easy it was. I did Physiology & Pharmacology, so the system based stuff was ok. Some people did anatomy, others did pharmacy, nursing etc etc and so they knew certain stuff I didn't. It's not an impossible year by any means.

I have to be honest and say I don't actually know how the new first year of grad medicine works now, as the curriculum changed when I move to my second year (which is the 3rd year of the undergrad - confusing I know). All I know is that they've taken a more 'traditional' approach, i.e much more lecture based stuff in undergrad years 1&2 before clinical intensive stuff years 3/4/5.

So my second grad year was the new Year 3 Undergrad year. This was completely redesigned to get rid of PBL and introduce CBL. Instead of meeting for PBL sessions and the like, you would do 4 weeks of hospital placement and then 1 week of university based stuff called 'consolidation weeks'. These weeks would include lectures to do with certain themes (i.e one consolidation week would be renal, another neuro, another paediatrics etc). The CBL would take place in your hospital placements where you would go to a tutorial room and discuss university-set cases with a registrar / consultant. Typically it would involve a short presentation by the doctor on the topic (e.g bone fractures) and then afterwards, you'd all go through a case written by the university, and then questions, also written by the university, on that topic.

With regards to interview, I think you'll always come out and analyse it to death and think of stuff you should've said/shouldn't have. The things I've done in interviews is to genuinely be me, not learn answers word for word, allow for flexibility. Always (!) relate answers about experience back to how it will make you a good doctor. I'd answer the question about my experience by saying; what it was, how it made me feel, and how that would make be a good doctor. The interviews look for all-rounded people who have looked up about the course and why they specifically want that university. Read up about Liverpool med school, read up about NHS stuff in general (junior doctor contracts, current news stories etc). Previous questions I've had from various medical schools have been; why you want to be a doctor, why choose this medical school, describe an experience you've had/seen and explain how it made you feel/would make you a better doctor etc.
Original post by C_T_27
The biggest change to the course was to move away from PBL (problem based learning) to CBL (case based learning) and a more structured teaching setup.

I did PBL in my first graduate year (old curriculum) and then the next year onward was the new curriculum. PBL was set up with 3 sessions over two weeks, the first session would be to discuss the exert of text and develop learning objectives. You'd then spend the two weeks studying and learning about the topics, and the other two sessions would be to meet up and discuss what you'd found. There would also be supplementary lectures to do with that PBL topic throughout the 2 weeks. It was very student-led. Graduates would have to cram Years 1 and 2 of the 5 year undergrad into their first graduate year. This meant we could go to lectures for the first or second years (mostly second years tbh).

It was roughly split that before Christmas of first grad year, you'd join the first year undergrads in lectures, and after Christmas you became essentially a second year undergrad. There was a lot of information in first grad year, as by the end of it you sit the 2nd year undergraduate exams. It really depended on what degree you did first as to how easy it was. I did Physiology & Pharmacology, so the system based stuff was ok. Some people did anatomy, others did pharmacy, nursing etc etc and so they knew certain stuff I didn't. It's not an impossible year by any means.

I have to be honest and say I don't actually know how the new first year of grad medicine works now, as the curriculum changed when I move to my second year (which is the 3rd year of the undergrad - confusing I know). All I know is that they've taken a more 'traditional' approach, i.e much more lecture based stuff in undergrad years 1&2 before clinical intensive stuff years 3/4/5.

So my second grad year was the new Year 3 Undergrad year. This was completely redesigned to get rid of PBL and introduce CBL. Instead of meeting for PBL sessions and the like, you would do 4 weeks of hospital placement and then 1 week of university based stuff called 'consolidation weeks'. These weeks would include lectures to do with certain themes (i.e one consolidation week would be renal, another neuro, another paediatrics etc). The CBL would take place in your hospital placements where you would go to a tutorial room and discuss university-set cases with a registrar / consultant. Typically it would involve a short presentation by the doctor on the topic (e.g bone fractures) and then afterwards, you'd all go through a case written by the university, and then questions, also written by the university, on that topic.

With regards to interview, I think you'll always come out and analyse it to death and think of stuff you should've said/shouldn't have. The things I've done in interviews is to genuinely be me, not learn answers word for word, allow for flexibility. Always (!) relate answers about experience back to how it will make you a good doctor. I'd answer the question about my experience by saying; what it was, how it made me feel, and how that would make be a good doctor. The interviews look for all-rounded people who have looked up about the course and why they specifically want that university. Read up about Liverpool med school, read up about NHS stuff in general (junior doctor contracts, current news stories etc). Previous questions I've had from various medical schools have been; why you want to be a doctor, why choose this medical school, describe an experience you've had/seen and explain how it made you feel/would make you a better doctor etc.

Thank you so much for your help, really useful! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Just out of curiosity do you think interviews for a100 and a101 are the same? Probably are - as an individual may apply for a100 and a101... So they would be interviewed with graduates right?
Can anyone confirm that you need to bring ALL EDUCATIONAL CERTIFICATES i.e Degree, A-levels etc...? It's just I can't find my degree certificate anywhere and can't get hold of the admissions teams.
Reply 45
Original post by tedsenior24
Can anyone confirm that you need to bring ALL EDUCATIONAL CERTIFICATES i.e Degree, A-levels etc...? It's just I can't find my degree certificate anywhere and can't get hold of the admissions teams.

Yes you need everything you put on UCAS for verification
Reply 46
I have been reading about current medical issues and some practice scenario questions, anybody have any tips on how to answer a scenario question, or what types of things we will be asked?
Reply 47
Original post by GDHope
I have been reading about current medical issues and some practice scenario questions, anybody have any tips on how to answer a scenario question, or what types of things we will be asked?

when is your interview? I guess just read your personal statement and think about your work ex and identify your skills/weaknesses/how you developed a specific skill etc qualities of a doc, do you have any transferable skills?
Reply 48
Original post by April-93
when is your interview? I guess just read your personal statement and think about your work ex and identify your skills/weaknesses/how you developed a specific skill etc qualities of a doc, do you have any transferable skills?

Its tomorrow, i know ive left it a bit late ive been doing a bit of prep but took a day off work today to properly hammer practice answers to standard interview questions. it says there is a numeracy section do we need to bring anything for that?
Reply 49
Original post by GDHope
Its tomorrow, i know ive left it a bit late ive been doing a bit of prep but took a day off work today to properly hammer practice answers to standard interview questions. it says there is a numeracy section do we need to bring anything for that?

2.30pm? Mine is tomorrow - they will provide everything i am sure, just bring all the documents. Good Luck!
Reply 50
Original post by April-93
2.30pm? Mine is tomorrow - they will provide everything i am sure, just bring all the documents. Good Luck!

Mine is 1.30pm! Thankyou, Good luck!
Eeeekkk on the train from London, Liverpool bound. This is so nerve-racking! Weather isn't looking great either!😣
Good luck to everyone with interviews today!!
Hi guys! Did anybody happen to ask how many were interviewed this year/ how many offers they will give out?
Reply 53
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Hi guys! Did anybody happen to ask how many were interviewed this year/ how many offers they will give out?

i don't know but once they have sent out offers you can ask for feedback if you got rejected and it usually tells you the stats on the feedback doc
There are 100 interviews and 29 places I'm not sure how many offers they give out!
Original post by chemhelp2000
There are 100 interviews and 29 places I'm not sure how many offers they give out!

May I ask where you got the 100 figure from?

Thanks
Original post by Perserverance
May I ask where you got the 100 figure from?

Thanks

yeah someone I know was helping out at the interviews and I asked her if she could ask the admissions tutors how many interviews for the grad scheme to a place as I forgot to at the time, so that's where I have got it from :smile:
Reply 57
Last year something like 130+ were interviewed, 42 offers, 28 places.. something along those lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by swfc 16
Last year something like 130+ were interviewed, 42 offers, 28 places.. something along those lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

148 interviews last year, 27 places - for 2016 entry
have the interviews finished now? when will they give out offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending