The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Accomoffice... is it really true about fairy lights?

Are they REALLY not allowed, not, like AT ALL?! :frown: (Lupton, by the way :smile:)

xxx
Reply 1
Theyre not allowed but if you take them down before inspections then you'll be fine. I got loads of wax on the carpet which took ages to sort out lol.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
messynessie
Are they REALLY not allowed, not, like AT ALL?! :frown: (Lupton, by the way :smile:)

xxx

are you that surprised? we had absolute morons set off our fire alarm with them constantly.. but then this was 2 years ago in leodis where the fire alarms would go off every so often because they weren't set up correctly.. oh the fun.. still did think it was hilarious they took parts of my deposit away after all the trouble we had.. and the fact that my wall discoloured like a lot of others right where our beds were and all mysteriously took on the colour of our duvet/pillows..

ok rant over.
Reply 3
ChrisA86
are you that surprised? we had absolute morons set off our fire alarm with them constantly.. but then this was 2 years ago in leodis where the fire alarms would go off every so often because they weren't set up correctly.. oh the fun.. still did think it was hilarious they took parts of my deposit away after all the trouble we had.. and the fact that my wall discoloured like a lot of others right where our beds were and all mysteriously took on the colour of our duvet/pillows..

ok rant over.

what, christmas lights setting off the fire alarm?!

xx
Reply 4
messynessie

xx

ok are fairy lights the same thing as what i'm thinking of ie xmas lights...?
xx
Reply 5
messynessie

xx

lol whoops i meant tea lights.. now i've left the house and am more awake.. lol

i guesss anything electrical could cause a problem..? i dunno..

sorry for the apparently irrelevant rant :smile:
Reply 6
ChrisA86
lol whoops i meant tea lights.. now i've left the house and am more awake.. lol

i guesss anything electrical could cause a problem..? i dunno..

sorry for the apparently irrelevant rant :smile:

AHA. So what about xmas lights? Haha.
Reply 7
ThisIsTheSea
In the welcome pack it says fairy lights aren't allowed...I hope I'm allowed my electric blanket - how will I survive the winter without it? :cool:

a big duvet? :smile:
Reply 8
ThisIsTheSea
In the welcome pack it says fairy lights aren't allowed...I hope I'm allowed my electric blanket - how will I survive the winter without it? :cool:

yeah that's what I meant, I was just hoping they'd revoke the rule. or something. :smile:
Reply 9
messynessie
yeah that's what I meant, I was just hoping they'd revoke the rule. or something. :smile:

I thought this was a bit odd as it said afterwards.. 'or any other object with a flame' or something like that and i thought fairylights wouldn't do much harm, so mentioned it to my mum and she pointed out they're like xmas lights and they can be really dangerous if left plugged in all the time. Last christmas I think it was, a family died in scarborough even though they had turned them off at the plug because they were cheap and shoddily made.. so everyone was advised to take the plugs out of the sockets.
Guess it's just a hazard.
Reply 10
aliclare
I thought this was a bit odd as it said afterwards.. 'or any other object with a flame' or something like that and i thought fairylights wouldn't do much harm, so mentioned it to my mum and she pointed out they're like xmas lights and they can be really dangerous if left plugged in all the time. Last christmas I think it was, a family died in scarborough even though they had turned them off at the plug because they were cheap and shoddily made.. so everyone was advised to take the plugs out of the sockets.
Guess it's just a hazard.

YES! the flame thing was exactly what I was thinking. It's just bad wording I suppose.
Reply 11
This sucks! Nearly every girl in my hall was planning on getting fairy lights for her room from Ikea, just the ones that plug in like Christmas lights.
human rights abuses Leeds style - students banned from using fairy lights
Reply 13
MagicNMedicine
human rights abuses Leeds style - students banned from using fairy lights

hahaha too right.
aliclare
they're like xmas lights and they can be really dangerous if left plugged in all the time. Last christmas I think it was, a family died in scarborough even though they had turned them off at the plug because they were cheap and shoddily made.. so everyone was advised to take the plugs out of the sockets.

You see, this is my problem. I don't want to say "fine, go ahead" and have someone burn to death half way through the year. And even if we said that you can have them as long as they're well made, yours may be perfectly safe - but who's to say that the girl in the room downstairs hasn't got cheap, dodgy ones. I'll ask our Health and Safety person what he thinks but I suspect it's going to be a no. Sorry all, but at the end of the year, I'd like you all to go home unscathed.
Reply 15
accomoffice
You see, this is my problem. I don't want to say "fine, go ahead" and have someone burn to death half way through the year. And even if we said that you can have them as long as they're well made, yours may be perfectly safe - but who's to say that the girl in the room downstairs hasn't got cheap, dodgy ones. I'll ask our Health and Safety person what he thinks but I suspect it's going to be a no. Sorry all, but at the end of the year, I'd like you all to go home unscathed.

ok, oh well :smile:

xx
What if they're not like those christmas one's? I've got some which are far less bright, and just kinda phase on and off.....reeeally soft. They seem to be some sort of led or something...hmmmmmmmmm
Reply 17
Stop freaking out they only check once a term so don't worry about putting up fairly lights.
Original post by Jenny_Mc
This sucks! Nearly every girl in my hall was planning on getting fairy lights for her room from Ikea, just the ones that plug in like Christmas lights.

I wanted to get fairy lights too!! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest