The Student Room Group

Re-application to Cambridge

I have applied to Cambridge this year and I don't think I'll get in. I am considering the idea of applying again next fall. What are the rules to be able to re-apply for a first-year entry instead of making a transfer? I mean, if I attend a public university which is not part of the UCAS system and is not in England, will I be able to re-apply as if I had taken a gap year?
Reply 1
Original post by gabrieleoliaro
I have applied to Cambridge this year and I don't think I'll get in. I am considering the idea of applying again next fall. What are the rules to be able to re-apply for a first-year entry instead of making a transfer? I mean, if I attend a public university which is not part of the UCAS system and is not in England, will I be able to re-apply as if I had taken a gap year?

Yes, if it's not a UK university it's fine. Just re-apply through UCAS as before. Assuming you do get a rejection make sure you request feedback and state that you are considering re-applying (you might get more "thorough" feedback).

Also it's usually best to apply to a different college second time around.
Original post by jneill
Yes, if it's not a UK university it's fine. Just re-apply through UCAS as before. Assuming you do get a rejection make sure you request feedback and state that you are considering re-applying (you might get more "thorough" feedback).

Thank you so much! Is it going to be harder to be admitted as a re-applicant? And why do you think it is better to choose a different college?
Reply 3
Thank you so much! Is it going to be harder to be admitted as a re-applicant? And why do you think it is better to choose a different college?

Re-applicants typically have a higher success rate, especially if they are re-applying with grades acheived in excess of the typical offer.

The different college thing is just being pragmatic, especially if your interview was a problem first time around...
Original post by jneill
Re-applicants typically have a higher success rate, especially if they are re-applying with grades acheived in excess of the typical offer.

The different college thing is just being pragmatic, especially if your interview was a problem first time around...

So if I apply to the same college again, will they be more prone to reject me because they have already done so?
Reply 5
So if I apply to the same college again, will they be more prone to reject me because they have already done so?

Yes.
Original post by jneill

Could you explain to me what this means with regards to my case: "Please note that internationals attending or committed to attend universities in their home country won’t normally be considered for admission to Cambridge to study a full undergraduate course in the same or a very similar subject whilst they’re still committed to another university"?
Reply 7
Could you explain to me what this means with regards to my case: "Please note that internationals attending or committed to attend universities in their home country won’t normally be considered for admission to Cambridge to study a full undergraduate course in the same or a very similar subject whilst they’re still committed to another university"?

Hmm, you may have to have the support of your home University when you apply to Cambridge.

Best to double check your circumstances with a couple of colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Simply put, I *think* it means if you're already studying or have an offer to study a same/similar subject at your home university as the one you're applying Cambridge for, they usually wouldn't accept your application. You'll need to give up the place (or the offer) at the home uni before applying.

Thought this principle only applies to U.K. applicants but perhaps they changed the policy for international applicants from this year???

When/if you enquire some colleges on this matter, will you post what they said here, please? I'm intrigued.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by vincrows
Thought this principle only applies to U.K. applicants but perhaps they changed the policy for international applicants from this year???

Yes this seems different to what the ATs on here said previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes this seems different to what the ATs on here said previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe they've been seeing much more cases lately of internationals applying to them to take a chance while having a secured place at home already and they don't take up their offer after all???
Or perhaps being criticised by overseas universities for poaching their best students???

Interesting change if that's what they're doing, though understandable in the face of rapidly & ever-increasing application from internationals.
Reply 11
Maybe they've been seeing much more cases lately of internationals applying to them to take a chance while having a secured place at home already and they don't take up their offer after all???
Or perhaps being criticised by overseas universities for poaching their best students???

Interesting change if that's what they're doing, though understandable in the face of rapidly & ever-increasing application from internationals.

Yep!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I would advise you to apply to Oxford instead :smile: they don't care that much when you're attending uni in your home country (I am currently doing that and was invited for interview - for PPE where only 45% are interviewed.) Therefore they must have considered me I believe, I also met other applicants at interview in similar situations. :smile:
Simply put, I *think* it means if you're already studying or have an offer to study a same/similar subject at your home university as the one you're applying Cambridge for, they usually wouldn't accept your application. You'll need to give up the place (or the offer) at the home uni before applying.

When/if you enquire some colleges on this matter, will you post what they said here, please? I'm intrigued.....

At this point, I have two more questions! :smile:
1) How do they get to know if I have accepted an offer to study at another university in my home country? I don't remember any part of the UCAS application where I was obliged to insert that sort of information. Also, since university courses start on October the 1st in my country, if I file my application before that date next year (e.g. during the summer) I won't be attending any institution at that moment.
2) What if I accept an offer from a university in a third country, for instance in the United States?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending