The Student Room Group

Should Christmas be banned?

I surveyed 100 people calling themselves Muslim in Birmingham city centre. Of these 100 people, 79 said they find Christmas offensive. Considering the UK is getting increasingly multicultural every year, should Christian celebrations like Christmas be banned from discussion in public, so as to not offend people of other faiths, minorities, backgrounds etc?

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
Original post by Voi
I surveyed 100 people calling themselves Muslim in Birmingham city centre. Of these 100 people, 79 said they find Christmas offensive. Considering the UK is getting increasingly multicultural every year, should Christian celebrations like Christmas be banned from discussion in public, so as to not offend people of other faiths, minorities, backgrounds etc?

No.
Original post by Voi

What a silly survey!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
No way, Saturnalia is awesome. Nothing wrong with some good old pagan worship eh?
Reply 5
But clearly the majority of Muslims are offended by Christmas. Shouldn't we be making them feel welcome in our country instead of marginalising them with Christian celebrations like Christmas - a barrier to their integration / assimilation?
Wow. I'm a Muslim and although I dont celebrate Christmas, I don't find it offensive :s-smilie:

No, it should not be banned
Reply 7
Original post by Voi
But clearly the majority of Muslims are offended by Christmas. Shouldn't we be making them feel welcome in our country instead of marginalising them with Christian celebrations like Christmas - a barrier to their integration / assimilation?

I don't see how Muslims are offended.
Reply 8
i find this thread offensive.

should we ban everything because someone doesn't like it? there goes subjectivity.

No. do not ban Christmas because people who hate Christians dont like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S2M
I don't see how Muslims are offended.

Neither do I and i'm Muslim. Although, we don't agree with the story behind Christmas I dont see why people find it offensive, it's kind of baffling.
If you ban it you will just drive it underground.

Imagine the illegal raves where people were off their faces on sherry playing "SNOW IS FALLING, ALL AROUND ME...." it would be a great way to hold up two fingers to the government.
This sounds like something out of a English Exam extract of a newspaper: "Should Christmas be banned?".
Reply 12
Christmas although to some has a true meaning, to most it's just a time of happiness. I hate to sound rude but should the majority of Jewish people in Israel ban the celebration of Eid?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Ammmaaaraah
Neither do I and i'm Muslim. Although, we don't agree with the story behind Christmas I dont see why people find it offensive, it's kind of baffling.

Yeah I'm a Muslim too and I don't find it offensive. I guess OP was talking to people with no common sense.
Original post by S2M
Yeah I'm a Muslim too and I don't find it offensive. I guess OP was talking to people with no common sense.

OP could've asked me and all my Muslim friends- none of us would've said Christmas is offensive :s-smilie:
Original post by Voi

I'm surprised no one is talking about your hilarious passive-aggressive comments about Muslim beliefs, touche. Although the sarcasm makes you seem like a bit of a ****
Sod off

I find you offensive with your poxy survey.
Reply 17
Original post by Ammmaaaraah
OP could've asked me and all my Muslim friends- none of us would've said Christmas is offensive :s-smilie:

Yeah true I imagine not much people would have said that it's offensive.
Reply 18
Absolutely not. The UK is a Christian country, I am open to a multi-cultural society and welcoming others in (to an extent) but come on, when you come to this country you follow our rules and laws - you embrace our culture as well. If you don't like it then go back to your own country or a country whose rules and laws satisfy you. If I were to go to a Muslim country there is no doubt I'd have to follow their laws and if I didn't like it or go against their culture, I'm pretty certain I'd be thrown out!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
no

Quick Reply

Latest