The Student Room Group

Can I still get an A*??

I'm thinking of retaking Biology in my gap year however I did really bad in my practicals. I got B in the A2 one and D in the AS one.

Is it still possible to get an A* or even an A overall?

I did OCR btw
Can someone tell me? ?
Reply 2
lol... idk
Well can I?
Reply 4
Do your best and you'll get a grade you deserve. Im sure if you get an A* in the exam you'll come out with an A* or A
Original post by mo_myc
Do your best and you'll get a grade you deserve. Im sure if you get an A* in the exam you'll come out with an A* or A

But i really don't want a B? I want an A or an A*.

I have started revising for it so is it possible? I am resitting all my other units. So that is 4/6 units.

Is it possible then?

I feel like my ISA grade is really going to bring it down? I can't even retake it elsewhere ughhh stupid a level reforms.
Reply 6
Original post by Goldenlinings
But i really don't want a B? I want an A or an A*.

I have started revising for it so is it possible? I am resitting all my other units. So that is 4/6 units.

Is it possible then?

I feel like my ISA grade is really going to bring it down? I can't even retake it elsewhere ughhh stupid a level reforms.

Get top marks in all your exams and you'll most likely get the A. I don't want to give you false hope but I'm sure you'll get an A if you get top marks.
Original post by mo_myc
Get top marks in all your exams and you'll most likely get the A. I don't want to give you false hope but I'm sure you'll get an A if you get top marks.

So its not possible?
Reply 8
From what you have said it is technically possible to achieve an A* without re-sitting the practical units. What matters is the UMS. You need at least 480 overall and at least 270/300 from the A2 units. If you have a B in F216 then you scored at least 42/60, leaving you another 12 you could drop on the remaining 240UMS in the other 2 units and still achieve an A*.
I'm thinking of retaking Biology in my gap year however I did really bad in my practicals. I got B in the A2 one and D in the AS one.

Is it still possible to get an A* or even an A overall?

I did OCR btw

if you take the new a levels practicals don't count towars your grade
Original post by Compost
From what you have said it is technically possible to achieve an A* without re-sitting the practical units. What matters is the UMS. You need at least 480 overall and at least 270/300 from the A2 units. If you have a B in F216 then you scored at least 42/60, leaving you another 12 you could drop on the remaining 240UMS in the other 2 units and still achieve an A*.

Thanks this was really helpful!
Original post by iamayesha
if you take the new a levels practicals don't count towars your grade

But good unis want a pass certificate for that
if you give absolutely flawless answers you may acheive an A or A* however this a-level will not mean much for univercities or future employers
But good unis want a pass certificate for that

Isn't that a good thing? If you struggle with practicals, you just need to pass. It won't be graded so unis won't know just how well you passed. Plus my teachers have told me that you can keep repreating practicals until you get all the skills ticked off... so you can't really fail it.
Original post by iamayesha
Isn't that a good thing? If you struggle with practicals, you just need to pass. It won't be graded so unis won't know just how well you passed. Plus my teachers have told me that you can keep repreating practicals until you get all the skills ticked off... so you can't really fail it.

Where can i do these practicals? Hardly any place allows you to sit practicals with them whether it is for old specification or new specification
Where can i do these practicals? Hardly any place allows you to sit practicals with them whether it is for old specification or new specification

I'm sorry, I don't know much about that. Maybe you can contact some colleges in you area?

Quick Reply

Latest