The Student Room Group

British Born Chinese considering to work in Hong Kong

Hi

I am a British Born Chinese (BBC) strongly considering to move abroad to work, in particular Hong Kong as I already have full citizenship there.

At the moment I already have work experiences that I have gained the UK but right now I feel I need to broaden my horizons and get out of the country to pursue my career.

But it doesn't have to be in Hong Kong; I already have an offer to work in America through my paternal aunt's contacts. :smile:
Although she lives in Hong Kong, she travels a lot to America for business purposes.

However considering I have full citizenship in Hong Kong, I might as well move there.

Is anyone in the same situation as me right now (BBC) considering to make the move?

Just need some advice from a fellow BBC. :h:
Original post by MonsoonFlower
Hi

I am a British Born Chinese (BBC) strongly considering to move abroad to work, in particular Hong Kong as I already have full citizenship there.

At the moment I already have work experiences that I have gained the UK but right now I feel I need to broaden my horizons and get out of the country to pursue my career.

But it doesn't have to be in Hong Kong; I already have an offer to work in America through my paternal aunt's contacts. :smile:
Although she lives in Hong Kong, she travels a lot to America for business purposes.

However considering I have full citizenship in Hong Kong, I might as well move there.

Is anyone in the same situation as me right now (BBC) considering to make the move?

Just need some advice from a fellow BBC. :h:

Hey! So it's been 3 years since this post was written, may I know what happened in the end and which route you took and do you have any advice for me? I'm a BBC(ish) and I'm in the same situation as you, and this is very relatable! I was born in HK and lived there until 8 years old and moved to Birmingham in 2005.

Now I've almost finished my university (masters Data Analytics, finished BSc in MORSE (Maths, operational research, stats and econ)) and I am thinking of moving back to Hong Kong to work for approx 2 years (my GF that I met in my master's course is there too haha that's one of my reasons and trigger for going back), to get some work experience abroad. I have a place to stay at my relative's in HK which saves me some rent money, which is convenient. Also, I have HKID so I don't need a work visa, so it's literally my second home. I also have an internship done in HK 2 years ago during my summer break which is quite advantageous.

I heard that HK is very competitive and the salary is not the best, although I don't mind that if it's just for 1-2 years of experience. I'm mainly doing it to help my career (whilst being able to see my GF lol). I'm not sure if this path is good or bad for my career? I mean, most professional jobs in my field (Data scientist etc) require around 2 years of work experience (in UK/HK) anyway so I thought why not get this experience in HK and then consider coming back or to stay in HK.

Personal thought: If it isn't for my GF, I may have sided more towards working in UK/Bham because of my family and I feel a bit bad leaving my parents here (they don't plan to go back) and I feel like I'll miss them a lot if I go back; they moved to UK hoping I'd have a less stressful life and have been so nice to me, and hoped that I could work in UK. However, I also feel like I can't stay in their arms my whole life, and after talking to them about it, they are also fine with me working in HK.

Quick Reply

Latest