The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Offer Holders 2017

Scroll to see replies

I'm having to decide between Imperial and Warwick for maths. Any thoughts?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Warwick all the way!

It depends on the uni life you want - with those two unis it's very different: Warwick is a quiet little campus just outside of Coventry whilst Imperial is in the centre of London. Both maths departments are very good so imo it's the location that's the deciding factor between the two
Reply 82

From what I've heard, the mathematics departments in both universities are on par with each other. The reason I picked Warwick over Imperial was because I preferred Warwick's campus and I would prefer living near Coventry as opposed to living in London.

Main points you will have to consider:

- Money (Warwick will be considerably cheaper)
- Student Life (Warwick is great, however, London has a lot more opportunities)
- Students (Boy:Girl ratio :wink: )
- Career events: Although Warwick is heavily targeted (just like ICL), it is just a little more convenient to be situated in London if you want to visit companies.
If money is a concern you are going to come out of Warwick with much less of a debt but, apart from that, it is probably purely lifestyle.

If you are into status I suppose internationally Imperial has a rep but I think anyone who is hiring Maths graduates is going to know that the Warwick degree and the standard of the students is as strong.

At Warwick you are going to get the full student experience of living on campus, etc Imperial you are going to get... London, with all it's up and down-sides. Their halls are spread out, including some new ones out on the A40 past Acton hemmed in by several multi-lane roads and there is a lot of travelling involved to do sports activities. However, when you do hang around where you are taught at Imperial you are surrounded by the Victoriana and post-Great Exhibition history of the area.

Warwick has a great but different feel more like MIT or another non-Ivy League US Uni or, less kindly, a business park. Facilities are good. It hasn't got the architectural vision of Bath or Sussex, but a lot of it is sleek and new (though most of the halls are slightly less up to date) and you are surrounded by green. Because people are living the campus life in the first year there does seem to be a friendliness and sociability at Warwick that might be harder to reproduce at Imperial perhaps. Both have large overseas student populations and at either place doing Mathematics you are going to get shed loads of work. They both work you hard.

I think it comes down to what you think of London I suppose. It is one of the world's greatest cities and it is fun to get to know and doing it at University at least gives you a support structure. But you can do that later in life too and maybe have a more focused student experience at Warwick.
Helllooo

Predicted A*A*A*A* (Maths, F maths, Physics, Chem)

Not bothering to do Step, will just try get A*A*AA (or even A*A*A*!).

would worry i'd spend so much time on step I'd mess up an A level lol
Original post by CaiusMartius
Helllooo

Hii! Wow, fantastic predicted grades! Are you firming Warwick? :smile:

I take 4 too & I feel the same...the workload is too much! Though I'm taking STEP 1 and 2 for the sake of it haha. I'm only really concentrating on STEP 1; STEP 2 is just something to challenge myself with. I feel like I'm going to mess up history because of STEP, since I'd much rather do some maths lol - though I'm just trying to find the right balance!

What exam boards are you on? :tongue:
Helllooo

Tbh getting A*A*AA is probably easier than A*A*A & STEP hahaha :biggrin:

Congrats on the amazing predicted grades :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths

A*A*A + STEP is easier imo , but i aint good anything besides maths lol
Original post by Lauren-x-
Hii! Wow, fantastic predicted grades! Are you firming Warwick? :smile:

I take 4 too & I feel the same...the workload is too much! Though I'm taking STEP 1 and 2 for the sake of it haha. I'm only really concentrating on STEP 1; STEP 2 is just something to challenge myself with. I feel like I'm going to mess up history because of STEP, since I'd much rather do some maths lol - though I'm just trying to find the right balance!

What exam boards are you on? :tongue:

Yup I do plan on firming it! Sometimes I wish I had kept English and dropped Chem instead but whatever. AQA for sciences and Edexcel for Maths :biggrin:

All really depends on how confident you are in your other subjects. I didn't even want to do Maths until AS results day so I feel like I'm not really one of those people who only loves Maths (but as a result it makes me less motivated to try hard and do STEP).

And well done on your predictions too!
Yup I do plan on firming it! Sometimes I wish I had kept English and dropped Chem instead but whatever. AQA for sciences and Edexcel for Maths :biggrin:

Me too - I hope to see you there next year!! :biggrin:

I sooo wish I had dropped history...the exams clash with my other subjects :s-smilie: Is it that weird for someone to want to take maths/physics AND history? I'm gonna dieeeee :smile::smile:

Aw no, I'm on OCR for physics and AQA for maths!

Man I hate subjects like history and English so much (they're like the complete opposite of maths!!) but I love chemistry hahaha
Reply 93
Man I hate subjects like history and English so much (they're like the complete opposite of maths!!) but I love chemistry hahaha

It's the opposite for me, I love stuff like English, History, and Philosophy but I don't like most sciences or social sciences.

Original post by Fortox
It's the opposite for me, I love stuff like English, History, and Philosophy but I don't like most sciences or social sciences.

Aaand I'm the random hybrid who likes both History and Physics :biggrin:

(neither of them come close to maths, though! :wink:)
Chemistry is too hard
Chemistry is too hard

It's very mathematical - about 30% of the marks from our AS paper were calculations. It's also all about understanding & working things out, and I much prefer subjects like this than biology for example where you just learn stuff

All to our own though I guess haha
It's very mathematical - about 30% of the marks from our AS paper were calculations. It's also all about understanding & working things out, and I much prefer subjects like this than biology for example where you just learn stuff

All to our own though I guess haha

That's what I felt for AS but now my brain just wants to explode. Physics has gotten harder too I think. Only respite is that Maths has been a lot easier this year than I expected !! (so happy I chose to do S3 not M4 <3 )
That's what I felt for AS but now my brain just wants to explode. Physics has gotten harder too I think. Only respite is that Maths has been a lot easier this year than I expected !! (so happy I chose to do S3 not M4 <3 )

Hahaha nah i love chemistry still, though some questions can appear impossible & yeah I expected C3&4 to be quite difficult but they're really not 😂😂
Predicted A2s: A*A*A*A* ( Maths , F.maths, Phys and Chem)
STEP/AEA: STEP II & III (not sure theres much point in adding on another 3 hours with STEP I)
Which Offer Holder day are you going to?
They send so many emails, I'm not even sure how an offer holder open day varies from a normal open day(...???) and since I've been on one of those I don't know if its really necessary.
Why did you choose Warwick?
Comfortably the best maths department I've seen (par ofc cambridge *sigh*) and the course is versatile and recognised etc etc... its good.
Ultimately I've got myself a smol predicament where I have to chose between st. andrews, warwick and durham and so far, warwick's swinging it for firm, but theres still a lot of doubt and I thought here might be a good place to seek guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest