Why do so many people hate maths? Watch

aaabattery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inactive100)
Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People hate maths because the subject constantly builds itself up on previous knowledge. Anything advance in maths stems from basic concepts we learnt as kids such a multiplications. Many kids mess around in their youth and dont pay attention or want to learn about maths but still manage to scrape by. When they get further into the subject they realise they dont have the foundations right and struggle to advance in maths due to their lack of understanding and its very hard to go back. This is where their hatred for maths comes from.

This is unlike other subjects which can be picked up on at pretty much any point. For example, with biology I can pick it up at A-Level standard without ever doing much biology in my life. I follow the spec and the concepts dont relate that much to one another.

FYI: Im an A* maths student and love maths, so maybe idk what im talking about.
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths is one of my favourite subjects, and I probably like it most because it's logical and involves problem solving. A lot of the time in many schools (fortunately mine is an exception), maths is taught just as a series of steps to follow, so you have to memorise the steps and then do a lot of boring exercises that are useless once you understand the concept.

You actually need to understand maths to do it well, and the actual interesting part of maths is interesting proofs and learning new topics, rather than being told to memorise a formula (without even knowing where it comes from) then sit in an exam plugging numbers into a calculator to try and get marks.
username3955940
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because I suck at it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lydss.xo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CarysJSLewis)
People aren't exactly going to be fond of something they're bad at
very true, people may not be good with numbers and some parts to maths are very VERY irrelevant. like when I'm older am I really going to use algebra or factorise or use simultaneous equations, but yeah it's everyone's different opinion and if you want to continue maths in your future...
bullyhunter71
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they mad coz bad
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloewright11)
I hate maths because i see it as pointless. the only bit i do agree with is learning percentages and decimals basically what we need in our everyday life. so why make us find the area of a triangle using trignometry or something, or vectors when its not relatable. the fact that it is a subject that requires application rather than memorisation makes it a lot harder to do and understand
You don't know the applications, that doesn't mean they don't exist, you just haven't learnt them yet.
billie mercury
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really wish I liked maths but I am just. so. BAD at it.
I WISH I had the logic to start solving a maths problem but the annoying part is, everytime I see something remotely hard on a maths paper, I panic. I have so little confidence in my answers because I was always at the bottom in terms of grades in my maths class. Even after practicing a ton of maths papers, I still get horribly stuck on something that should be "simple".
Sometimes, if not all the time, I'll have a method that is actually correct, but because I have so little faith in myself, I'll cross it out and do another method and lose valuable marks.
I like english better because I've always been praised and encouraged by all my english teachers. They all saw potential in me. I haven't met one maths teacher who didn't look at me like I was an idiot or who didn't get incredibly frustrated by my lack of confidence.
J843126028
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I loved maths, hated it and now love it more than ever. Here's a stupidly long (and, yes, I know, somewhat braggy) story.

Spoiler:
Show

When I was about five, I loved maths partly because it was a bit like a toy -- I played around with my scientific calculator all the time (though I never understood what things like sin and log meant). I also loved it because the bits I knew about (such as basic arithmetic and really basic geometry like equilateral triangles) were easy and made perfect sense. I memorised pi to twenty-eight digits (twenty-eight being my favourite number -- no idea why twenty-eight in particular). I can't remember if I actually knew what pi was.

Then, one day, when I was about six or seven, I found a GCSE textbook. I went through about half of it in around half a year, then I sped up a bit. About three quarters of the way through the textbook, I found myself enjoying it less and less. In hindsight, it was perhaps because there wasn't any magic in maths any more for me; everything made sense. This made the exercises in the book really dull and I'd forgotten that there was way more to maths than boring exercises. Typing random stuff into my calculator wasn't fun any more. I became more interested in other stuff such as messing up the settings on computers and making models of things like cars, computers and phones out of paper, although I did persevere with the GCSE textbook and I was relieved by the time I got to the end. I was about eight by this time.

For the next three years or so, I'd completely lost interest in maths and I didn't see any beauty in it whatsoever. Nobody had shown me any interesting results or problems. By the way, if you don't believe this because you think I wouldn't have had time to do all the maths stuff, it's because I was home-schooled so I had all the time in the world to do whatever I wanted. I started school in Year 7.

In Year 7, my teacher told my class about the UK Maths Challenge. Although I still wasn't that interested in maths, something told me that I just had to get a gold. I practised a few papers and found them really difficult but interesting. I scored around seventy in all of them. Come the actual Maths Challenge, I got seventy-nine, exactly what was needed for a gold. I was so proud of myself. Looking back, not getting a gold could have put me right off maths. Well, I was so proud of myself... until I found that many of my friends had done much better than me, some getting into the Olympiad. I was really upset for a time, but I knew I had to get into the Olympiad the next year. I kept practising JMC papers and really enjoyed them. Maths quickly became my favourite subject by far. I moved up to practising JMO, then IMC, then IMOK.

Now, in Year 11, I practise loads of olympiads and attempt (but not usually manage) international olympiad problems and I love it. It makes for great procrastination when I should be revising something I hate like GCSE biology or English (thank God English is over), but it's worth it.

I love maths for a completely different reason to before -- it makes you think in a way that nothing else does.

It's probably not exactly why so many people hate maths, but I can sort of understand the general hate towards maths.
WildeRuth
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People are good at different things. I LOVE English and words just work in my brain but numbers just... don’t 😂 everything just goes in one ear and out the other and, considering maths is a core subject, not being able to do something is just stressful y’know
GreenCub
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by J843126028)
I loved maths, hated it and now love it more than ever. Here's a stupidly long (and, yes, I know, somewhat braggy) story.

Spoiler:
Show

When I was about five, I loved maths partly because it was a bit like a toy -- I played around with my scientific calculator all the time (though I never understood what things like sin and log meant). I also loved it because the bits I knew about (such as basic arithmetic and really basic geometry like equilateral triangles) were easy and made perfect sense. I memorised pi to twenty-eight digits (twenty-eight being my favourite number -- no idea why twenty-eight in particular). I can't remember if I actually knew what pi was.

Then, one day, when I was about six or seven, I found a GCSE textbook. I went through about half of it in around half a year, then I sped up a bit. About three quarters of the way through the textbook, I found myself enjoying it less and less. In hindsight, it was perhaps because there wasn't any magic in maths any more for me; everything made sense. This made the exercises in the book really dull and I'd forgotten that there was way more to maths than boring exercises. Typing random stuff into my calculator wasn't fun any more. I became more interested in other stuff such as messing up the settings on computers and making models of things like cars, computers and phones out of paper, although I did persevere with the GCSE textbook and I was relieved by the time I got to the end. I was about eight by this time.

For the next three years or so, I'd completely lost interest in maths and I didn't see any beauty in it whatsoever. Nobody had shown me any interesting results or problems. By the way, if you don't believe this because you think I wouldn't have had time to do all the maths stuff, it's because I was home-schooled so I had all the time in the world to do whatever I wanted. I started school in Year 7.

In Year 7, my teacher told my class about the UK Maths Challenge. Although I still wasn't that interested in maths, something told me that I just had to get a gold. I practised a few papers and found them really difficult but interesting. I scored around seventy in all of them. Come the actual Maths Challenge, I got seventy-nine, exactly what was needed for a gold. I was so proud of myself. Looking back, not getting a gold could have put me right off maths. Well, I was so proud of myself... until I found that many of my friends had done much better than me, some getting into the Olympiad. I was really upset for a time, but I knew I had to get into the Olympiad the next year. I kept practising JMC papers and really enjoyed them. Maths quickly became my favourite subject by far. I moved up to practising JMO, then IMC, then IMOK.

Now, in Year 11, I practise loads of olympiads and attempt (but not usually manage) international olympiad problems and I love it. It makes for great procrastination when I should be revising something I hate like GCSE biology or English (thank God English is over), but it's worth it.

I love maths for a completely different reason to before -- it makes you think in a way that nothing else does.

It's probably not exactly why so many people hate maths, but I can sort of understand the general hate towards maths.
I definitely get what you mean - I'm in Year 11 right now and am working on olympiad problems
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tomBch)
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by 'a try lesson'. In terms of making maths more exciting, idk too be honest but perhaps showing the applications of it more early on so people see that all the numbers aren't pointless or something. Making sure everyone actually gets it is the crucial part, obviously in reality this will never happen but hey thats the way the world works
Sorry, this is a typo. I was talking about a dry lesson.

So you tend to practical lessons for higher mathematics? determine volumes of a shown object in a lesson by integration or exteme value calculation for instance? do you think objects as being part of lessons where it is properly is more helpful to get it? Is it that what you think of applications?
tomBch
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Sorry, this is a typo. I was talking about a dry lesson.

So you tend to practical lessons for higher mathematics? determine volumes of a shown object in a lesson by integration or exteme value calculation for instance? do you think objects as being part of lessons where it is properly is more helpful to get it? Is it that what you think of applications?
No when I meant applications I guess I meant how it can be used in the future in jobs eg finance/engineering/science etc, just to show that it isnt pointless i guess, cause some people think it is
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tomBch)
No when I meant applications I guess I meant how it can be used in the future in jobs eg finance/engineering/science etc, just to show that it isnt pointless i guess, cause some people think it is
Are there some concrete lessons in mathematics which are useless in your view or in students opinions with respect to jobs?
DrLuciferStrange
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inactive100)
Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pfft who would hate it? I mean without maths the world will be in shambles. Maths is bae to me. Physics and maths. I would gladly spend the rest of my days doing maths . I will take maths over any other person in the world tbh because with maths at least you know 99% of the times there is a solution to it
Blueoceanpride
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because math can be done by a calculator or google search. English is a technique
Iahmed512
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blueoceanpride)
Because math can be done by a calculator or google search. English is a technique
So maths doesn't? You can't just Google something and find the answer directly or fully understand it, and no that's just not true that all maths can be done by calculator and simple Google search only. Maths is not as simple as adding or solving a simple equation to be able to always do it on a calculator or find it in a Google search. Anything that requires multiple steps requires a technique, you can't just get straight to the answer and always get the marks so there is a process which means you have to apply certain skills and knowledge.
Blueoceanpride
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Iahmed512)
So maths doesn't? You can't just Google something and find the answer directly or fully understand it, and no that's just not true that all maths can be done by calculator and simple Google search only. Maths is not as simple as adding or solving a simple equation to be able to always do it on a calculator or find it in a Google search. Anything that requires multiple steps requires a technique, you can't just get straight to the answer and always get the marks so there is a process which means you have to apply certain skills and knowledge.
Yeah but you can do some maths with devices, you can’t write an English essay using Google searches so it’s more creative
Iahmed512
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blueoceanpride)
Yeah but you can do some maths with devices, you can’t write an English essay using Google searches so it’s more creative
That's not really to do with the subject itself though, but rather the Internet, you can plagiarise an essay but that wouldn't mean you are skilled at it, furthermore essay writing services exist which are basically helping people cheat, having an essay written for you is not help but just simply cheating.
With maths with algebra you can find the answer but it doesn't mean you understand the question and the topic or suddenly become good at it.
tomBch
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Are there some concrete lessons in mathematics which are useless in your view or in students opinions with respect to jobs?
No I don't think so but I don't really know too be honest
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I like maths more than English but i dont hate either. I think the idea that a lot of people spout that people either have one sort of brain or the other is a load of crap. I know plenty of people who are good at both. I just think that a lot of people find it very difficult and hence dont enjoy it. The reason that so many people find it difficult is debatable really. I think its mainly just because maths ability is on a bell curve and only those at the top end can enjoy it as even people who are average at maths can find it difficult. Then again there are people who are good at maths but hate it and prefer english. Again these cases just come down to likes and dislikes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads