The Student Room Group

Why do so many people hate maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon_23
I like maths as once you get practised enough it is one of the best subjects. It is a subject that is terrible for last minute revision though . English type subjects are much easier to get by with minimal revision

Agree to these. Getting enough practice is even impossible for some students without absent days, as I made the experience that a lot of lessons are cramming into students mind. Mathematics is the subject with the most lessons I know and the shortest time to understand and to grasp the steps. No wonder that so many students hate this subject.
Cause for some it’s hard
Original post by Jamilalala
I feel like it depends on how you are as a person. If you are creative and imaginative you may find English a more easy and enjoyable subject for you whereas if you find joy when things are complicated and challenging you probably would find yourself leaning to maths.

Maths is very creative and imaginative. English, when you go deeply into it, has a lot of similarities with maths. Like the grammar rules which have logical structures much like maths.

Maths only appears harder than English, but its only because we use English from birth and use it all the time getting a lot more practice at it. We only use Maths only at school, so not a lot of time spent on learning it.
I hated Maths because I just couldn't do it most of the time. I couldn't work out the answers- I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing with all of the numbers, it was like a language I didn't understand. Whereas humanities subjects questions were written in clear plain English.
I do a level physics and can confirm its the worst subject known to man, thank god my A2 exams are over for physics and i NEVER have to read about magnetic flux, or stars, or circuits or PET scans or nuclear fission or ultrasound EVER AGAIN (Until I get a U on results day and have to retake lmao fun times)
Because it's only fun when you can do it.
Maths is a subject that is generally taught very badly in schools, with an emphasis on recalling and using a large number of formulas with very little explanation of where they come from or what they're used for. It is also an intellectually challenging subject that relies a lot on understanding in order to do well, but when students have a load of formulas hurled at them without any emphasis on proof or how they link into other mathematical areas, it's not surprising that a lot of people hate it.

Having a good teacher for maths can have a huge impact, though, and in some cases can really get students to love maths.
Even logical people are struggling with mathematics, because they refuse to learn and/or keep it in mind because they see no sense for it in their real life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending