The Student Room Group

Unsure if I am clever enough for Law

I study a literature degree at a RG university and am considering studying the GDL afterwards but I've always doubted my ability as I understand it's extremely competitive to get in to.

I have been getting a mix of 2.1s and firsts on my assessments so am on track for either a high 2.1 or a first. Despite this, I still don't think I'm cut out for law.

Any advice on what I can be doing to better my chances?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I study a literature degree at a RG university and am considering studying the GDL afterwards but I've always doubted my ability as I understand it's extremely competitive to get in to.

I have been getting a mix of 2.1s and firsts on my assessments so am on track for either a high 2.1 or a first. Despite this, I still don't think I'm cut out for law.

Any advice on what I can be doing to better my chances?

You'll be fine. Literature is a good degree to have if you're thinking about the GDL, as good English skills are key when working in law.

With your grades, there's no reason why you can't get into law. It is competitive, but if you read up on, and are sure that it's what you want to do then don't let it put you off.

In terms of bettering your chances, work experience is important, but very hard to come across. If you can, contact the law department at your uni and see if they have any extra-curricular activities that you could take part in.

You could also consider volunteering at Citizens Advice, or a local law centre, here's a link to a list of law centres:

http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/about-law-centres/law-centres-on-google-maps/alphabetically

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending