The Student Room Group

Tombre's 100 or so day journey to all A*s!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80

:elefant:RESULTS DAY:elefant:
Today was January Modules Results Day

So, if you've been following this gyg for a while, you should know I'm doing my GCSEs mostly with WJEC Legacy and so that means that my subjects (Except Maths and English Language - although I did take Maths early) are modular, which means that have taken exams in January Year 10, Summer Year 10, November Year 11 (Maths) and January Year 11 - and today I got my results for the modules I took in January Year 11.

I took English Literature Unit 1 and C2 (also a WBQ Challenge, but who cares about that - I actually did it over Year 10 Summer and Year 11 Autumn so...)

BREAKDOWN

English Literature Unit 1 - Prose From Different Cultures and Unseen Poetry

I studied Of Mice and Men as my prose text.
This exam is worth 35% of my Literature grade. It combines with Unit 2 (An Inspector Calls and Heroes), worth 40% and the NEA (Shakespeare and Poetry), worth 25%.

Target Grade: A
Predicted Grade: A/A*
Mock Grade: A*

ACTUAL GRADE: A* (66/70 UMS) :biggrin:

I WAS ABSOLUTELY SH*TTING MYSELF BEFORE THIS AND I AM SO HAPPY! I GENUINELY DIDN'T EXPECT THIS!
I was actually top of my year, only 3 of us had A*s and I got the highest mark. All my friends got what they wanted too (most people had As and Bs) and I'm proud of them all. :biggrin:

Section A: OMAM
Extract - 9/10
Essay - 18/20
Section B: Poetry
Essay - 14/20

My poetry isn't as high as I would've wanted, but it doesn't matter. My teacher is calling back my paper to see what I did so well on in the OMAM essay so I can make sure to keep doing that for Unit 2 and to help others who are struggling :h:

Chemistry 2 (C2) - Atoms, Bonding and Chemical Change

This is worth 25% of my Chemistry grade. In C1 I got 78/80 UMS and so I had high expectations.

Predicted Grade: A*
C1 Grade: A*

ACTUAL GRADE: A* (FULL UMS - WHAT?!?!?!) :biggrin:

I am so happy, you have no idea! Honestly, this exam went really well, so I was expecting a good grade, but I never expected full UMS. Everyone I know got As or A*s in this exam, it was very nice. :h:

I want to do both of these subjects for A Level and these modules have certainly boosted my confidence for the summer and ultimately next year! :biggrin:

Spoiler

I am by no means bragging about my grades, I just wanted to document how I feel right now and I feel it's appropriate for this thread :smile: If anyone else got results today, feel free to share what you got! :biggrin:
Original post by Tombre

So, if you've been following this gyg for a while, you should know I'm doing my GCSEs mostly with WJEC Legacy and so that means that my subjects (Except Maths and English Language - although I did take Maths early) are modular, which means that have taken exams in January Year 10, Summer Year 10, November Year 11 (Maths) and January Year 11 - and today I got my results for the modules I took in January Year 11.

I took English Literature Unit 1 and C2 (also a WBQ Challenge, but who cares about that - I actually did it over Year 10 Summer and Year 11 Autumn so...)

BREAKDOWN

This exam is worth 35% of my Literature grade. It combines with Unit 2 (An Inspector Calls and Heroes), worth 40% and the NEA (Shakespeare and Poetry), worth 25%.

I WAS ABSOLUTELY SH*TTING MYSELF BEFORE THIS AND I AM SO HAPPY! I GENUINELY DIDN'T EXPECT THIS!
I was actually top of my year, only 3 of us had A*s and I got the highest mark. All my friends got what they wanted too (most people had As and Bs) and I'm proud of them all. :biggrin:

Extract - 9/10
Essay - 18/20
Essay - 14/20

My poetry isn't as high as I would've wanted, but it doesn't matter. My teacher is calling back my paper to see what I did so well on in the OMAM essay so I can make sure to keep doing that for Unit 2 and to help others who are struggling :h:

This is worth 25% of my Chemistry grade. In C1 I got 78/80 UMS and so I had high expectations.

I am so happy, you have no idea! Honestly, this exam went really well, so I was expecting a good grade, but I never expected full UMS. Everyone I know got As or A*s in this exam, it was very nice. :h:

I want to do both of these subjects for A Level and these modules have certainly boosted my confidence for the summer and ultimately next year! :biggrin:

Spoiler

I am by no means bragging about my grades, I just wanted to document how I feel right now and I feel it's appropriate for this thread :smile: If anyone else got results today, feel free to share what you got! :biggrin:

PRSOM! :sad:

HUGE well done on your results, they're amazing!! Will you be celebrating? :mmm: Keep things up and you'll be set for success :yep:

[scrollr]:party: Congratulations! :party:[/scrollr]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tombre

BREAKDOWN

Extract - 9/10
Essay - 18/20
Essay - 14/20

Spoiler

OH WOW, you are right to feel good about the grades you've received :wink: you did really well! I am sure this will motivate you to do well in the rest of your exams :woo: Well done :biggrin:
Reply 83
Original post by NiamhM1801
PRSOM! :sad:

HUGE well done on your results, they're amazing!! Will you be celebrating? :mmm: Keep things up and you'll be set for success :yep:

[scrollr]:party: [/scrollr]Congratulations! :party:

I was PRSOM on you for like 2 weeks haha

Thank you so so much! Yes, I shall be celebrating, I don't know how yet haha! Thank you!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 84
Original post by Shaaayxp
OH WOW, you are right to feel good about the grades you've received :wink: you did really well! I am sure this will motivate you to do well in the rest of your exams :woo: Well done :biggrin:

Thank you SO much! It really has been motivating! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Tombre
I was PRSOM on you for like 2 weeks haha

Thank you so so much! Yes, I shall be celebrating, I don't know how yet haha! Thank you!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I know that feeling :emo:

You earned it!! I'm glad, any celebration will be a good one :biggrin:
Original post by Tombre

BREAKDOWN

Extract - 9/10
Essay - 18/20
Essay - 14/20

Spoiler

Wow! Well-deserved set of results!

I got an A in English Lit Unit 1 and an A* in Welsh Lit Unit 1, which I'm really pleased about, especially as I hate lit with a burning passion lmao

Good luck with your summer exams! :bl:
Reply 87
Original post by Jameswyn101
Wow! Well-deserved set of results!

I got an A in English Lit Unit 1 and an A* in Welsh Lit Unit 1, which I'm really pleased about, especially as I hate lit with a burning passion lmao

Good luck with your summer exams! :bl:

Thank you!

Well done, those are amazing results! :biggrin: An A* in Welsh Lit :eek: that's very impressive! Especially considering you were convinced you hadn't done well!

Thank you and good luck to you too! :five:
Reply 88
BACK TO REGULAR-STYLE UPDATES

Today in schooooooool:

BIOLOGY
So, we learned a bit about agar plates and vaccinations and planned an investigation we'll be doing next week with milk bacteria in an agar plate and I'm actually really excited. We're so close to the end of the course now that a practical will be nice! :biggrin:

STUDY HOUR
I practised Spanish for half and talked for the other half. I keep making the mistake of sitting by a friend who isn't so ready to use these sessions wisely. But still, it was a nice half hour break haha :smile:

CHEMISTRY
We have nearly finished C3.1 - today was a lesson about ethanol. There's only about 1/2 a lesson left of this topic. We have a very fast pace now. C3.2 will probably be covered in 2-4 lessons, C3.3 in about 4, C3.4 in 1 or 2 and C3.5 in about 2 - it's all got to be done by Easter or just after. :s-smilie:

DRAMA
We practised the end of the play and did some weird warm up where we were doing chair based choreography. :h:

ENGLISH
Dull - we literally defined word types and found the 9 main word types in a passage from each of the Literature texts. :tongue:

Tonight I shall be revising Spanish (Speaking)x2 sessions, Biology (Plants), Physics (Electromagnetism), English Lit (AIC Context)
Reply 89
Woah that is amazing! Well done! I'm just wondering how do you revise ? I am currently doing my gcse's and I really want to do well :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Jpijx
Woah that is amazing! Well done! I'm just wondering how do you revise ? I am currently doing my gcse's and I really want to do well :smile:

Thank you so much! :biggrin: Here are some of my revision tips (also, if you want to let me know what subjects you do, I may be able to give some subject specific advice):

To revise, I start by making sure I am in comfortable clothes, in a comfortable place, with no distractions and I'm hydrated and not hungry. I usually get a really big glass of water or green tea to take with me to last the session. :smile:

I like to write notes to revise, however this may not be the best method for you, it really depends on the person. I make them look really nice and write slowly so it all sinks in. If I have trouble grasping a topic then I will write it out again and again, until it's memorised (also works for learning paragraphs for languages). My notes have to be really colourful and visual - it really sticks in my brain. :tongue:

After I have revised a topic, I will watch a YouTube video on it. For the Sciences I recommend Primrose Kitten, Science With Hazel and Christopher Thornton. For English I recommend Mr Bruff and Mr Salles.

The app Gojimo is an app with quizzes for every subject, for every exam board. It's often overlooked but is really good! You can whip it open on the bus or train or when you're bored and test yourself - incorporating revision into your lifestyle is very important.

I then teach someone else the topic - it really helps me understand and consolidate. According to an ASAPscience video I watched, in an experiment, the group of students told they were going to teach the topic did much better than the group told they were going to be tested. I taught my mum all about plants in the car the other day and surprised myself by how much I knew and found myself really explaining exactly how everything worked.

I CANNOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT PRACTISE IS! DOWNLOAD PAST PAPERS FOR EVERYTHING - I don't care that Maths is a new spec, HOW TO DO MATHS HAS NOT CHANGED. The English Language format has changed completely, but there are so many sample papers out there and some past question styles have survived. Practise English Literature essays for every possible character or theme. In science the questions repeat year after year after year. PAST PAPERS = LIFE SAVERS. :wink:

Something new I have been trialling this week (and is working) is making big, bright informative posters and sticking them on a wall. I stuck some Biology posters on my kitchen wall and when I make breakfast in the morning, I read them. And it's helped a lot. :smile:

I revise in blocks, anywhere from 25-45 minutes - I set out the exact time beforehand. I then take a break afterwards (if 25 mins, this is 5 minutes, if 30-40, this is 10 mins and I have a 15 minute break if I worked for 45 minutes). In these breaks I don't just check my phone, I get active. I walk around the house, do the dishwasher, make someone a cup of tea etc, it really helps to consolidate my knowledge. :biggrin:

I also plan what I will revise throughout the whole week on Sundays. I write out a daily timetable and say EXACTLY what I will be doing. For example:

Monday
16:30-16:55 - English Literature: An Inspector Calls - Sheila Birling
17:00-17:45 - Biology: B3.1 (Plants) - Transpiration
18:00-18:40 - Additional Maths - Differentiation

This part isn't so much linked to actual revision, but is important for keeping in the mindset - see friends regularly, do exercise whenever you have the time and eat the right foods! Your grades will thank you! Staying healthy (mentally and physically) is so important! :biggrin:

Sorry, I waffled a bit, but I also want this here for myself in case I lose motivation haha :colondollar:
Reply 91
Thank you so much! That was really useful! I took geography and french along with the compulsory subjects like English maths and science and I am doing the wjec exam board. Because it's the wjec and it's a new spec there aren't many resources online on YouTube etc which makes it a lot more difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by Jpijx
Thank you so much! That was really useful! I took geography and french along with the compulsory subjects like English maths and science and I am doing the wjec exam board. Because it's the wjec and it's a new spec there aren't many resources online on YouTube etc which makes it a lot more difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I also do WJEC and I agree, there are literally no resources.

Well I do Geography, so I would recommend making notes, as I said before and maybe making flashcards so you can learn your case studies REALLY well. Do you do Geog A or Geog B?

I do Spanish, not French and honestly the only tip I can give you is learn your vocab and memorise your controlled assessments.

In terms of resources, there are a few books for Geography, some for Sciences (only Unit 1 and 2 though) and they are releasing some for Maths.

If you haven't already, check our the Bangor Science notes. They're for WJEC and are excellent! Primrose Kitten on YouTube also has 7 WJEC videos and there are two more to come ("WJEC B3 in 30 Minutes" etc).

For English, make sure you remember your AO weightings so your essays have exactly what the examiners are looking for and if the main AO is context, make sure you can link all of your points to context!

For Maths - PRACTISE! There is an abundance of WJEC Maths resources for the new spec. I did my exams in November and I used everything available and milked the WJEC website - you can find a way!
Reply 93
Unfortunately I'm doing the new spec so there isn't any coursework and it's more exam based. The spec for science is different too as we only have 2 whole units(I am doing triple science)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by Jpijx
Unfortunately I'm doing the new spec so there isn't any coursework and it's more exam based. The spec for science is different too as we only have 2 whole units(I am doing triple science)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh are you in Year 10? I'm doing new spec for English (Lang and Lit) and Maths and Numeracy.

If I'm honest, the lack of controlled assessments is in your favour. Now before you kill me, I find that they tend to drag down the grades of the more academic students.

For French the lack of controlled assessments will give you so much more fluency in the language that the memorisation of essays that exists now.

The Geography fieldwork is tedious as hell (mine was 15 hours), but the new 2 1/2 hour fieldwork will really help you get a good grade!

You really only do two Units for Triple Science? So is it one exam per science in Year 10 and one in Year 11? Wow, I had 5 Science exams in Year 10 and I have had/will have 4 in Year 11. Also Science controlled assessments are awful, so you have a lucky escape haha.
Reply 95
Yeah I don't mind it being all exam based as I much prefer that. I am in year 10 at the moment and I am doing my science exams + English and maths exams this year. When do you think I should start revising ? I'm trying to start revising now but tests kind of get in the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Tombre

BREAKDOWN

Extract - 9/10
Essay - 18/20
Essay - 14/20

Spoiler

Some excellent results!!! I got mine back recently too, 62/70 for English which I am overall quite happy with because I dislike English with a passion lol. 74/80 in B2, 78/80 in C2 and 80/80 in P2 which I was over the moon with. You did extremely well in the English and I suspect you will get even closer to full marks in the next Lit paper considering there is no Poetry on it, good luck!
Reply 97
Original post by Jpijx
Yeah I don't mind it being all exam based as I much prefer that. I am in year 10 at the moment and I am doing my science exams + English and maths exams this year. When do you think I should start revising ? I'm trying to start revising now but tests kind of get in the way

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, how many exams do you have in total? Are you doing Maths and Numeracy and are you doing English Language and Literature or just one of them?

You should definitely be revising now, as you'll have around 7-10 exams. Don't do TOO much revision right now, otherwise you'll exhaust yourself.

For Science:
So you're doing B1, P1 and C1. If the spec is anything like mine, Unit 1 is the hardest, which is why it's good to have it out of the way. Make sure you do as many past paper questions as you can! I know they're new specs, but there will be a specimen paper for each science (also use the ones for double science - some topics will be missing (I did some research on the new spec) but it's better than nothing!)

Specimen Materials:

Physics: http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/science/gcse/physics-gcse-2016/wjec-gcse-physics-sams-from-2016.pdf?language_id=1

Chemistry: http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/science/gcse/chemistry-gcse-2016/wjec-gcse-chemistry-sams-from-2016-e.pdf?language_id=1

Biology: http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/science/gcse/biology-gcse-2016/wjec-gcse-biology-sams-from-2016.pdf?language_id=1

Double Science (will include less detailed B1, C1 and P1 papers): http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/science/gcse/science-double-gcse-2016/wjec-gcse-science-double-sams-from-2016-e.pdf?language_id=1

Another great thing the WJEC has, which will help with your lack of past papers, is the question bank: http://www.wjec.co.uk/question-bank/question-search.html (this also applies to Maths). You type in a subject and they will have past paper questions on ANY topic. For example, go on Physics and then go down the side and click on the sub-topic "Generators." Then you will get a whole load of past questions on generators and you can add them to your own paper and get the mark schemes and the examiner comments.

For Maths:
There are a bunch of past papers! There are two specimen papers per unit for Maths AND Numeracy and there are also the exams I did in November. You can also access predicted mock papers from before the first run of the exam. Also use the question bank. My advice for you is to simply practise Maths. There's very little else you can do.

For English:
Right, I honestly have no idea how to revise for Language (I have my mocks next week, kms). But if you have any Literature exams, reread the text, use youtube videos, and make sure you know all of the AO weightings!

I would suggest revising like this for the next 2 weeks:

Every weeknight do 45 mins of Maths, 45 mins of English and 45 mins of a Science.

Then on the weekends maybe do this cycle twice. Then after two weeks, you may want to start doing every science each night.

Then at Easter, try and do a good few hours of revision each day, but have some rest days. After Easter you should have finished all of the content and then you just need to do the past papers and learn the mark schemes :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by Abusive
Some excellent results!!! I got mine back recently too, 62/70 for English which I am overall quite happy with because I dislike English with a passion lol. 74/80 in B2, 78/80 in C2 and 80/80 in P2 which I was over the moon with. You did extremely well in the English and I suspect you will get even closer to full marks in the next Lit paper considering there is no Poetry on it, good luck!

Ayy, I haven't seen you in a while! Thank you so much! And yes, the lack of poetry is definitely going to help, haha. :biggrin:

Your results are AMAZING, well done! You absolutely SMASHED the Sciences and your English is amazing too! You're one mark off an A* in English, so that's pretty damn brilliant for someone who hates the subject! :tongue:
Reply 99
Original post by Tombre
Ayy, I haven't seen you in a while! Thank you so much! And yes, the lack of poetry is definitely going to help, haha. :biggrin:

Your results are AMAZING, well done! You absolutely SMASHED the Sciences and your English is amazing too! You're one mark off an A* in English, so that's pretty damn brilliant for someone who hates the subject! :tongue:

What pieces of literature are you studying for the second exam? I'm doing heroes and inspector calls :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending