Reply 1
Are we supposed to read the books we get on a list like that? :p:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Viktory
Are we supposed to read the books we get on a list like that? :p:

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your question. If you mean "should we read the books?" then I think we should read at least part of one. I can imagine the tutor at the first tutorial asking whether we have done our summer reading! It would be embarrasing to say no.

If you mean "read them just like that" ie: without any former guidance wade through all of these introductions to law, I don't think so. I think these books were a suggestion of small reading as an introduction to law to prepare for whats to come.

In any case, does any one know what the books were? - at least the main ones?????
Reply 3
Understanding Law (3rd edition), Adams and Bronsword.
The Law Machine (5th edition), Berlins and Dyer.
The Discipline of Law, Lord Denning.
Learning Legal Skills (3rd edition), Fox and Bell.
The Politics of the Judiciary (5th edition), Griffith.
Just Law, Kennedy.
Invitation to Law, Simpson.
A Critical Introduction to Law (3rd edition), Mansell, Meteyard and Thomson.
Learning the Law (12th edition), Williams and Smith.
OK first and foremost, you won't be asked "have you done the reading", you are left to your own devices at uni! I had read other books before applying, and didn't read any of the books on their list. Looking at them, I probably wouldn't bother as you'll do a module called 'understanding law' at notts anyway which will teach you all this stuff and there is a recommended book for it and shed loads of general books in the library you can always flick.

Secondly, don't read 'the politics of the judiciary' until you know something already, it's a very in depth book lol!
THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!

Thanks so much for the list and thanks for the advice. It has been most helpful.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 6
Don't waste your money buying all those books, by all means read a couple, but it's really not necessary. You won't get asked about them in your tutorials as you get a new reading list for each tutorial which you really do have to know back to front, but is mainly case based. With the amount of books that you'll need to buy for next year anyway, I wouldn't waste your money as the text books are so expensive! Best of luck for the year though, Hari.
P.S: Encourage anyone you know on the course to join LawSoc Hockey!

Latest

Trending

Trending