The Student Room Group

Best student cities in the world

QS has published its 'best student cities' ranking for 2017 today - top of the list is Montreal.

One UK city in the top 10 - London (3rd). And more UK cities appear in the top 50: Edinburgh (18th), Manchester (23rd), Glasgow (34th), Coventry (39th), Nottingham (43rd).

Maybe a few surprises in there? Coventry comes higher up the rankings than the likes of Adelaide, Stockholm and Lisbon, for instance. The rankings are apparently worked out from a combination of scores on affordability, desirability and employer activity.

Here's the top 25, full rankings on the QS site.

1 Montreal, Canada
2 Paris, France
3 London, United Kingdom
4 Seoul, South Korea
5 Melbourne, Australia
6 Berlin, Germany
7 Tokyo, Japan
8 Boston, United States
9 Munich, Germany
10 Vancouver, Canada
11= Hong Kong, Hong Kong
11= Toronto, Canada
13 Sydney, Australia
14 Singapore, Singapore
15 Zurich, Switzerland
16 Vienna, Austria
17 Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe, Japan
18 Edinburgh, United Kingdom
19 New York, United States
20 Brisbane, Australia
21 Taipei, Taiwan
22 Canberra, Australia
23= Barcelona, Spain
23= Manchester, United Kingdom
25 Shanghai, China
Reply 1
Disappointed that Milan is not on the list, while there are Manchester, Edinburgh and too many Australian cities. I strongly agree on Paris and London + high rankings for Berlin, Toronto and, from what I heard from students, Hong Kong.
Original post by shooks
QS has published its 'best student cities' ranking for 2017 today - top of the list is Montreal.

One UK city in the top 10 - London (3rd). And more UK cities appear in the top 50: Edinburgh (18th), Manchester (23rd), Glasgow (34th), Coventry (39th), Nottingham (43rd).

Maybe a few surprises in there? Coventry comes higher up the rankings than the likes of Adelaide, Stockholm and Lisbon, for instance. The rankings are apparently worked out from a combination of scores on affordability, desirability and employer activity.

Here's the top 25, full rankings on the QS site.

1 Montreal, Canada
2 Paris, France
3 London, United Kingdom
4 Seoul, South Korea
5 Melbourne, Australia
6 Berlin, Germany
7 Tokyo, Japan
8 Boston, United States
9 Munich, Germany
10 Vancouver, Canada
11= Hong Kong, Hong Kong
11= Toronto, Canada
13 Sydney, Australia
14 Singapore, Singapore
15 Zurich, Switzerland
16 Vienna, Austria
17 Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe, Japan
18 Edinburgh, United Kingdom
19 New York, United States
20 Brisbane, Australia
21 Taipei, Taiwan
22 Canberra, Australia
23= Barcelona, Spain
23= Manchester, United Kingdom
25 Shanghai, China

Taipei :woo:
Original post by wolfmoon88
Taipei :woo:

It's a decent sized city with tonnes of universities in a westernised country which speaks a fairly widely spoken language, has good industry and low-ish cost of living. It's not that surprising.
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's a decent sized city with tonnes of universities in a westernised country which speaks a fairly widely spoken language, has good industry and low-ish cost of living. It's not that surprising.

Deffo not surprised :lol: I live there

Actually very low cost of living compared to many other places

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
London, where students go to bankrupt themselves... Yeah, genius choice.
Quite surprised at London being 3rd when affordability is taken into account
Surprised that Newcastle is not in the top 50.
Surprised Sheffield ain't there
Original post by Drewski
London, where students go to bankrupt themselves... Yeah, genius choice.

Yeah. This is a ridiculous list. Cities for young professionals in high earning professions, maybe. Or internationals who will get helicoptered in :lol:

Original post by Rock Fan
Surprised Sheffield ain't there

Original post by milutin767
Surprised that Newcastle is not in the top 50.

What other cities would you put up there? These are choices I've heard before that are supposed to be great!
Would have had Birmingham above Coventry at least.
They've forgotten to put Bristol in there
providence in rhode island seems like a good place to study. but that maybe just be because i low key would really like to go to rhode island school of design (but could never afford it). albeit there is like 4 colleges in providence and it's nearish boston n new york.
Original post by Athematica
Yeah. This is a ridiculous list. Cities for young professionals in high earning professions, maybe. Or internationals who will get helicoptered in :lol:

That's why I'm really not a fan of league tables particularly on something arbitrary such as this. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like St Andrews now that you mention private helicopters!
Let us make a Tsr list of the best student cities in the UK then have it compete with this QS publication so that students aren't going to be misinformed when applying to cities based on this kind of information.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't understand why NY is 19th while London is 3rd. I mean, okay both cities are great but if this ranking is based on money then Ny should be higher as there is much cheaper than in London. How they have done this ranking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending