The Student Room Group

Failed my driving test AGAIN!!! How many attempts did you take to pass?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
4th time it took me; just down to stress of the test!
Im currently on attempt number 4! I know its very frustrating and deflated to the point where i wasted 4 months till i rebooked my 3rd ....

Half the time its silly stupid mistakes I have never done in my lessons before! Dont give up , you will get it eventually my instructor told me most of the time its not a case of you being a good or bad driver its down to sheer luck!

1st - Too close behind a lorry ( my mistake i wasnt 100 % sure on the distance but was probably about a cars length too close)
2nd - no one would let me filter onto a dual carriage way and examiner put the breaks on in the slip road ( im not stupid enough to drive into oncoming vehicles but fine whatever)
3rd - theres a stretch of dual carriage way that 500 yards before the 60 speed sign itsnt marked. Me being me thought id use this to gradually build my speed - beep no wrong! apparantly its a 30 before the 60 signs .....

I wish you all the luck ! Youll get it :smile:
Failing upto 7 times ok as most people do. No worries
I passed on the 4th attempt... Seems to be a pretty common number to pass on. A friend of mine passed on the 7th, and I think that she's a safe driver.

For me the 1st and 3rd time were on damn roundabouts, and for the 2nd I didn't break enough when turning off the ring road and onto a residential street. It was a very close miss, as a taxi was driving the opposite direction (the turn off road wasn't exactly wide either).

The 3rd time I was particularly annoyed at one of the minors he gave me after I stalled on quite a hill at the traffic lights... I had stalled both the 1st and 2nd time, they said it was fine and just start again when ready. I was calm when it happened on the 3rd attempt, and he made no comment.

The 4th time I was panicking as I had no lessons between 3rd and 4th, which the instructor said I didn't need. But I only found out on the day that someone had broken the clutch and it had been replaced. As a result of this, the bite point was completely different... But somehow, thinking from the get-go that I was going to fail again and by focusing on every minor detail, I managed to pass.
All i can say that just keep going... most of the times we all know how to drive .. its just the test nerves that catch you on the test day ..I failed today ... 2nd time .. took the wrong lane at roundabout And at other place about to move on Amber light’s but examiner made me to stop instantly Rest of the other bits were fine Examiner said to practice around roundabouts and light’s That’s it guysSo don’t loose hope and get over with test and get your permanent right to drive with confidence I booked my next test on 22 Sep .. wish me luck
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vipin1711
All i can say that just keep going... most of the times we all know how to drive .. its just the test nerves that catch you on the test day ..I failed today ... 2nd time .. took the wrong lane at roundabout And at other place about to move on Amber light’s but examiner made me to stop instantly Rest of the other bits were fine Examiner said to practice around roundabouts and light’s That’s it guysSo don’t loose hope and get over with test and get your permanent right to drive with confidence I booked my next test on 22 Sep .. wish me luck

Ahh good luck! If it makes you feel any better, I passed on my 3rd attempt :smile:
Can anyone let me know important test routes roundabouts names in Swindon on which Fellas might fail ???????
I know few only :
1: Mannington Roundabout
2: Blagrove Roundabout
To pass the driving test anyone is advised to pay attention to the following which are based on my personal experience:
1) Make MSM routine your mantra
2) Most learners have problem checking the right and left wing mirrors when they turn or change lane. You must making checking the mirror your habit and keep working on improving it
3) lane discipline seems to be the problem of most learners, you must position the car onto the correct lane before turning left and right and at roundabouts and never change lane suddenly without signal
4) Learn the correct signalling for roundabouts: signal left for the first exit and signal right for the third and fourth exits (second exit no signal until you have passed the first exit signal left but do not forget to check the mirror)
5) Master bay and parallel parking
6) Do not forget to change the gear when you stop at junctions and traffic lights (many learners are still in the second or third gear when their car is stationary at traffic lights and junctions etc)
7) Watch out for the buses (look at the tail lights of the bus and if they are indicating right stay back and be prepared to stop, never try to drive past the buses indicating right as they may hit your car.
8) Learn how to join the traffic on motorways and how to come off (speeding up fast when joining traffic, checking the mirrors for changing to the middle lane and signalling and reducing speed to 30 mph when coming off junctions are extremely important.
9) Ask your instructor to take you on all the major test routes at least 5 times
10) Always keep your eyes wide open for traffic lights and crossings as you may accidentally jump them
10) Learn all the road markings well
11) watch your speed (inside towns and cities usually 20-30 mph)
12) Do not forget to cancel the signal after you are finished with every action
13) never change lane suddenly at rounabouts
14) Learn how to use sat nav effectively (sat nav is used for 20 min if your independent driving during your test)
15) When reversing be very careful not to hit the curb
16) when reversing stop if you see any car approaching
17) when reversing keep observing effectively
18) After emergency stop you must apply the handbrake and do six point check before moving
19) Drive relaxed but with full concentration and never mind what the examiner is writing or what he is thinking.
20) One week before your test, take driving lessons everyday even if for one hour per day

Wish everyone good luck with their driving test!
I have my sixth attempt this week problem with me is I have stopped started stopped and started if I had kept going I would have held a licence for years I don't feel nervous I just feel stressed my two close friends are the only people who know I just have bay park problems and parallel park any suggestions
Original post by bumblebee288
I have my sixth attempt this week problem with me is I have stopped started stopped and started if I had kept going I would have held a licence for years I don't feel nervous I just feel stressed my two close friends are the only people who know I just have bay park problems and parallel park any suggestions

Hope it went okay.
This is an old post, but I would love to know if OP managed to pass! It took me one attempt to pass, but I really dragged out learning. I had two months of lessons at 18, another 2 months at 21, and finally passed when I was 25. It was mostly to do with money to be honest, but I'm so glad I finally got it done. I have a friend who took 6 attempts and I really don't understand why as he's a fantastic driver now. You will get there! :smile:
Original post by Miacasey16
Hope it went okay.

I passed with only 7 minors
It's a joke, far too easy to pass.
Hello,I failed today on lane discipline too, went right at the mini roundabout instead of ahead. Apart from that I got 3 minors. So wasn't that bad. Was my 2nd attempt. Just got to keep going guys 😊
Hey, iv'e done my test twice now and failed twice iv'e booked for my third test. I failed my first test simply because I was in the wrong lane at a roundabout even though they were doing road works and there were no visible lanes. I had two minors on this test because I was going 32 miles an hour in a 30 and another because of hesitation in traffic. My second time I failed because as i was coming out of the test centre I was so nervous I forgot to look right as I was coming out of the junction even though the test centre is at the end of the road. I then completed my test and only had one minor because I was going 30 miles an hour in a 40 because I didn't realise it was a 40. Don't give up just keep thinking that everyone else has to go through it, but the thing that annoys me most is you see people driving on the road really dangerously and most people don't signal nowadays and I don't understand how they've managed to pass. I had a good cry after each fail because the test is so much money and I have to pay for my instructor as well. DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!
Reply 55
Try to imagine it's just another lesson with a different instructor, and if it doesn't go well then at least you've had another couple hours experience. This is the best way to replicate the driving you've actually done on lessons, which is obviously good enough for your instructor to let you book your test. They'll not ask you to do anything you've not already done, after all. If you really are test ready you can always rebook it after 10 days anyway. Seeing it as a big deal is just going to make you nervous. Also, to people who keep failing, don't be afraid to change instructor if you think this would help. I found this helped a lot, different instructors have subtle differences in how they teach things, sometimes people need a different teaching approach for things to get better.
(edited 4 years ago)
I passed 5th time.1st time - failed because I took 2nd exist in a roundabout after entering into it on the left lane which was for left turning only.2nd time - because I almost ran a red light after taking a wrong exit because I was trying to explain to the examiner that I was on the wrong lane to have taken the instructed exit. He hit sudden break and screamed STOOOP. I also waited for too long to pull up on the left side safely, and in the end he had to say pull up right now and I used handbrake before the car came to a stop and people swerved behind me. Examiner was so pissed off and in the end said I 'failed to obey instructions'. (I had done a lot of research in the net which said - dont panic even if you are in a wrong lane of a roundabout, go on safely and they will reroute you, and that when they say pull up, you can wait for some time to find a safe spot - both these advises got me in trouble because I took them too verbatim)3nd time - because I entered a dual carriageway too slow. It was raining and cold in December, the car was a 1.3 L Suzuki wagon R and had no power to speed up to > 35 m as all systems like heating, wiper, headlights etc were on so it was more like my car failed me.4th time - because I shaped to go into a no entry in a roundabout - people where coming in from a dual carriage way - (I wouldnt have entered it but the examiner caught my steering and swerved rightwards - I just entered the left lane I believed). At this point I started losing hope - then I found out that the issue is that I have lost confidence and that I am being too conscious while taking the test and that is making me nervous. i would drive so well while taking lessons, which at this point totalled up to about 26-30 hours. Then I went to India in December for a vacation and drove my car there. Rash, arrogant, irreverent driving for 12 days and came back in the UK, and without attending another driving lesson I appeared for a test and PASSED- 3 minor faults only!When I passed I was not looking emphatically in the mirror or doing any of the antics that a new driver does to impress the examiner - I just drove like I was in India (but not overtaking anybody!) . I wasnt going on a cautious 45m speed in 50 m speed limit zones - i went at like 52-44 m. Basically i did not care for the first time if I failed!The tip is - the minor faults and major faults marked in the examiners sheet comes much later - in the first minute or 2 the first impression is formed in the examiners mind - whether this driver is good enough or not. Also, DO NOT let anyone accompany in the backseat. If the examiner is impressed initially and thinks you are good and then you make a 50-50 mistake - if someone is watching then the examiner would not have the option of giving you the benefit of doubt ! They have to mark it as a failure just like anyone at job who is being watched has to do the job by the book! And importantly, all the driving lessons you would have taken with you and just the teacher, and in the test if somebody accompanies you you are suddenly driving a heavier car with 3 people on board - it does make a difference to the biting point of the clutch!Keep trying, the test cost is not too much really, for working class friends - just save a 5 pound everyday for your next test and see it as a hobby/fun activity and keep a log of how you fail each time. It will be an unexpected day that the instructor pauses for a moment after the test is over, with the paperwork, and then says ' Congratulations, I am glad to inform you thave passed!' (You would think they always go like 'Sorry..' but believe me it is not like that!)Also google and you see that there are people who has failed 39 times and still attempting.. what is the worst that could happen - you may get to beat that record :P but still in the end it has to be a PASS - it is a mathematical certainty!
Brother don’t worry or panic you will pass next time just believe in your self I’m the same I just had a driving test 2 in the morning and I failed 3 times and my theory finshes but it’s life **** happens gotta move on
Hi don’t worry about it just don’t give up failure is part of life even me I’ve already failed 5 times no minor 1 major all the time got another one coming up hopefully will get it done hopefully your and my day will come

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending