The Student Room Group

Postgrad loan eligibility

I am hoping to apply for the new post grad student loan in September, they couldn't give me any information over the phone as they said they have no details until June. I was wondering if anyone knows if my PGDip would rule me out? It's not a masters (clearly) and the masters I want to do is in a different to my PGDip . Does anyone have any experience? Thanks!
Original post by hencath
I am hoping to apply for the new post grad student loan in September, they couldn't give me any information over the phone as they said they have no details until June. I was wondering if anyone knows if my PGDip would rule me out? It's not a masters (clearly) and the masters I want to do is in a different to my PGDip . Does anyone have any experience? Thanks!

Having a PGDip doesn't rule you out.

The only way it would is if you were using the PGDip as credit towards the Masters course (so taking only a dissertation 60 credit top up masters and not a full 180 credit masters).
You can't get it if it's a postgrad diploma, i had the same issue, it's on the website as well =(

Also if you already have the PGPip you won't be eligible either as these are a level 7 qualifcation

"If you already have a master’s degree, or a qualification that’s an equivalent or higher, you won’t be eligible."

https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/eligibility
Reply 3
Jackibox were you using your PGDip as credits? Thanks for your answers.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Having a PGDip doesn't rule you out.

The only way it would is if you were using the PGDip as credit towards the Masters course (so taking only a dissertation 60 credit top up masters and not a full 180 credit masters).

This is what I'm hoping but I'm worried that the reality maybe as Jackieox has experienced. Have you direct experience of this? If I can't apply for the loan I need to think of other ways to finance! It's frustrating that they couldn't tell me anything on the phone.
Original post by hencath
This is what I'm hoping but I'm worried that the reality maybe as Jackieox has experienced. Have you direct experience of this? If I can't apply for the loan I need to think of other ways to finance! It's frustrating that they couldn't tell me anything on the phone.

Original post by Jackieox
You can't get it if it's a postgrad diploma, i had the same issue, it's on the website as well =(

Also if you already have the PGPip you won't be eligible either as these are a level 7 qualifcation

"If you already have a master’s degree, or a qualification that’s an equivalent or higher, you won’t be eligible."

Jackie is correct that you can't get a PGL for PGDip course.

But HAVING a PGDip course is not considered to be equivalent qualfication to a Masters and so doesn't prevent someone who HAS a PGDip then taking a Masters course (as long as the course is a free standing masters and not a top up using the PGDip credits).
Original post by hencath
Jackibox were you using your PGDip as credits? Thanks for your answers.

I'm doing my postgrad diploma in September but I rang them about going straight onto doing a masters afterwards and they said I couldn't because I would've already had a level 7 qualification
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/7120/pgl_policy_summary.pdf

"Students who already hold a Master’s qualification (or an equivalent or higher level qualification) will not be eligible for PGL. This applies even if the previous qualification was entirely self-funded and/or achieved outside the UK. Lower level qualifications such as Postgraduate Diplomas or Postgraduate Certificates of Education will not affect eligibility for PGL."
I'm doing my postgrad diploma in September but I rang them about going straight onto doing a masters afterwards and they said I couldn't because I would've already had a level 7 qualification

Then they're not following the policy document.

Unless your masters course would be using your PGDip as credit (and not a full freestanding 180 credit masters) - in that case the ineligibility is because the course isn't a full masters not because you have a PGDip.
Does anyone know if you are eligible if you have already done an integrated masters course?
I'm in my 4th year of my MChem and will be graduating this summer. I was looking at possibly doing a slightly different masters in the future.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Jackie is correct that you can't get a PGL for PGDip course.

But HAVING a PGDip course is not considered to be equivalent qualfication to a Masters and so doesn't prevent someone who HAS a PGDip then taking a Masters course (as long as the course is a free standing masters and not a top up using the PGDip credits).

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post, this gives me some hope!
Reply 11
Original post by PQ

"Students who already hold a Master’s qualification (or an equivalent or higher level qualification) will not be eligible for PGL. This applies even if the previous qualification was entirely self-funded and/or achieved outside the UK. Lower level qualifications such as Postgraduate Diplomas or Postgraduate Certificates of Education will not affect eligibility for PGL."

If this is correct for the next academic year I should be eligible. Thank you again.
Original post by Alotties
Does anyone know if you are eligible if you have already done an integrated masters course?
I'm in my 4th year of my MChem and will be graduating this summer. I was looking at possibly doing a slightly different masters in the future.

Unfortunately not

An undergrad Masters qualification is considered by SFE as equivalent to a Masters and therefore makes you ineligible for the PGL (but there may be other sources of funding available for specific courses)
Reply 13

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think our situations maybe slightly different in that I want to apply for a msc not a PGDip. My PGDip will not be used as credit towards my MSc. If the information provided in the previous post is correct I should be eligible. I hope we both manage to secure some funding!
Original post by PQ

I'm confused...
The government website says
and that's what the woman on the phone told me. She said I wasn't eligible for the PGL for my Post grad diploma (which is fine) but then because i'd get a level 7 and a masters is also a level 7 I couldn't get funding for the masters either even if I didn't use the credits =S
I'm confused...
The government website says
and that's what the woman on the phone told me. She said I wasn't eligible for the PGL for my Post grad diploma (which is fine) but then because i'd get a level 7 and a masters is also a level 7 I couldn't get funding for the masters either even if I didn't use the credits =S

The detailed policy statement is clear about what is considered Masters of Higher qualification....a PGDip or PGCert is considered a below masters qualification and wouldn't exclude you from personal eligibility (but might exclude you from COURSE eligibility depending on whether the two courses are considered separate).

It sounds like you got someone on the phone who didn't know the full details about postgrad loans (not unlikely given that they're new in 16/17 and most of the SFE staff have been focused on undergrad loans for years). Unless you got the woman's name and job title then I'd go with the official guidance over what constitutes "equal or higher" over a verbal conversation.
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
The detailed policy statement is clear about what is considered Masters of Higher qualification....a PGDip or PGCert is considered a below masters qualification and wouldn't exclude you from personal eligibility (but might exclude you from COURSE eligibility depending on whether the two courses are considered separate).

It sounds like you got someone on the phone who didn't know the full details about postgrad loans (not unlikely given that they're new in 16/17 and most of the SFE staff have been focused on undergrad loans for years). Unless you got the woman's name and job title then I'd go with the official guidance over what constitutes "equal or higher" over a verbal conversation.

Should they be able to give this advice over the phone? The gentleman that I spoke to said he couldn't answer any questions regarding eligibility until June. Is this the case? Or have I also spoken to someone who may not have the correct information?
Original post by hencath
Should they be able to give this advice over the phone? The gentleman that I spoke to said he couldn't answer any questions regarding eligibility until June. Is this the case? Or have I also spoken to someone who may not have the correct information?

I think it's pot luck - they're very wary of making any promises over the phone (because they don't want to commit to funding something without receiving all the documentation).

It's better that they fob you off with a non-answer than give you incorrect information.

With all phone calls about stuff like this (to SFE, SLC, UCAS, universities etc) I'd ALWAYS recommend asking for (and recording) the full name and job title of the person you speak to (plus the date/time of the phone call)...it avoids any problems with people answering outside their knowledge if they know they can be held accountable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending