The Student Room Group

Art HL as a 7th DP subject?

Hey,
I'm an IB student currently doing the 5th year of the MYP and moving onto the DP next year.
My art teacher has recommended I should take art as I am currently achieving top marks in it and she likes my creativity.
I want to study medicine after the DP and therefore need Biology and Chemistry. Since I can't drop either of them, I'm currently considering taking Art HL as a 7th subject.
My other subjects are:

HL Chemistry, Biology, Business
SL English, German Mother tongue, Math

How hard would it be in light of my other subjects to cope with the extra work?
Would universities see the extra subject as a sign of me being a hard-worker?
and if no, should I just do it anyways because I enjoy it and want to challenge myself?

Thanks in advance!

I would certainly not recommend this. Art takes hours and hours of work at an IB level, and as an aspiring medic, you should be using that time to focus on biology and chemistry. Obviously, that does not mean that you cannot continue to do it in your free time. Not many universities show any preference to an extra subject... IB is stressful taking 6 subjects, let alone taking 7. Taking art as a 7th subject would be taking a big risk, but at the end of the day, you have to decide whether you want to take that risk and can cope with it.
Reply 2
Did you end up taking art I the end? I'm having the same exact problem since i also want to study medicine but i LOVE art and think im pretty good at it so i would love to know how you dealt with this??
Original post by Lemon17
Did you end up taking art I the end? I'm having the same exact problem since i also want to study medicine but i LOVE art and think im pretty good at it so i would love to know how you dealt with this??

The OP hasn't been active since a few days after making this post, they almost certainly won't see this reply. I would suggest making a new thread if you wanted to discuss the options, although as above, having personally done IB Art HL (as one of 6 subjects), it is an enormous time sink in an already extremely busy programme. It was by far the HL subject I spent the most time on.

As it's unrelated to medicine academically, I would suggest you pursue artistic endeavours in your spare time in a non-curricular fashion (e.g. as part of your CAS work - I did a lot of life drawing for my CAS outside of HL Art) which will allow you to focus on your core academics when necessary without potentially weakening a medicine application by having a poor performance in an additional subject noted on your IB transcript.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
The OP hasn't been active since a few days after making this post, they almost certainly won't see this reply. I would suggest making a new thread if you wanted to discuss the options, although as above, having personally done IB Art HL (as one of 6 subjects), it is an enormous time sink in an already extremely busy programme. It was by far the HL subject I spent the most time on.

As it's unrelated to medicine academically, I would suggest you pursue artistic endeavours in your spare time in a non-curricular fashion (e.g. as part of your CAS work - I did a lot of life drawing for my CAS outside of HL Art) which will allow you to focus on your core academics when necessary without potentially weakening a medicine application by having a poor performance in an additional subject noted on your IB transcript.

Thank you so much i had completely forgotten you can do Art in your CAS

Latest

Trending

Trending