The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Should I study geography or psychology at A-Level?

Hi, I am currently in year 11, and I want to study medicine...

I have chosen to do chemistry (obviously) and biology as my first 2 A-Levels, however I am really unsure whether to take Geography -which I go at GCSE and get straight A*s in, or whether to do something new and do psychology!?

I don't know whether anyone can give ma any advice, if anyone perhaps studies them both, which one do you prefer, or what are your favourite parts of the courses.

Also if anyone is studying psychology, what do you have to do to be good at it, to get A/A*s?

Thanks x
Geography, a traditional subject, more respected, overlaps with gcse quite a bit, relates with biology a tiny bit, very interesting.
Stick with what you know you are good at.

Your 3rd A level is only important for the grade - you could be doing Art History or Economics, its just the grade that counts. Dont worry about the subject, just go for the one where you are most confident of getting A or A*. There is no point in signing up for 'new', hating it and getting a C ....
Original post by bex.anne
Geography, a traditional subject, more respected, overlaps with gcse quite a bit, relates with biology a tiny bit, very interesting.

Psychology teaches links somewhat with biology so if your great at Biology, you will find Psychology easier to understand. The thing you need to know is that a lot of people misinterpret the subject of being something that teaches you to read others minds, and stuff like that. It's not like that, you learn how your brain thinks, how you carry out different life tasks. It is a study of your brain and how it works, etc.
If you like what I just told you that you should choose it.
Reply 4
I found psychology to be quite wishy washy, incredibly dull, and not really that relatable to 95% of Biology. But I guess my dislike for the subject means I cannot be an unbiased.

If you enjoy geography I would go for it. If you think you would enjoy psychology go for that.

Also, I sort of agree with one the users above, if you know you're good at geography it might be the sensible choice because grades are everything.
(edited 7 years ago)
As a fifth year medic (now) I actually found the research methods we studied in psych A level to make all the academic stuff I did at uni a lot easier.
However, do what you want to, what you're interested in and what you'll do best at.

Why can't you take 4 for As?
If I were you i'd do both, and then if you want to drop one, drop one at A2.
Personally I ended up enjoying it so much I did 4 A levels. This was back in 2011 though so things may be different now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending