The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I bought the cataga e-book about three weeks ago now and I have read it thoroughly , although it is in my interests not to get other people to buy it - I don't want more people scoring better than me!! I think the advice is very good.

Apparently they are raising their prices! I'm actually glad because even less people will buy it now and there will be less competition in the exam!

The best section in the book - I think- discusses the methods test writers use to disguise incorrect question answers. This is the sort of advice that is not common sense, the people who wrote this section have obviously been test writers themselves. They have a list of words which you should look out for which serve as red flags for answers.

The practice tests were excellent...almost identical to the official test in terms of difficulty.
Reply 2
I want to not regret not buying it, my parents expect me to go to Bristol. I just bought the book online myself.

It took ages to download on my slow connection - file size - 2MB... but I've opened it and at first sight it looks good and I'm happy with it... I will read it and then tell you all what I think...
Wei Loong
It took ages to download on my slow connection - file size - 2MB... but I've opened it and at first sight it looks good and I'm happy with it... I will read it and then tell you all what I think...

How many pages is it?
Reply 4
NDGAARONDI
How many pages is it?

114 i think.

that's about 26p a page i make it.....hmmm....worth it.
Reply 5
what a good idea lol. I read the "shudders" guardian sports section online because it is rather good!
tkfmbp
what a good idea lol. I read the "shudders" guardian sports section online because it is rather good!

It is also quicker, cheaper and you could contrast differences between different sources I guess. Handy for topics you're interested in I guess. I had to use online newspapers for the compensation issue with the Master of the Rolls :biggrin:
Reply 7
21.8 pence per page... Good job the LNAT won't be testing your math skills :wink:

Before I bought the book I asked myself will it make a difference, but then I calculate the American Test Prep Industry is big business because it must actually work - otherwise student won't spend thousands on courses. Anyway this has cost me the same as the test is going to cost me and I will pay thousands if it means I can get into a good Law school, when you earn £500 an hour as a partner at say Slaughter & May's, what is 21.8 pence per page?

Let's all get back together and open up another thread after the test and compare scores :wink:
Wei Loong
Let's all get back together and open up another thread after the test and compare scores :wink:

Expect me to get 20+ :biggrin:
Reply 9
NDGAARONDI
Expect me to get 20+ :biggrin:

At least people won't go into their Oxbridge interviews knowing their LNAT scores - it is hard enough for people waiting around for Oxbridge interviews without having everyone sitting outside comparing LNAT scores!
jcw
At least people won't go into their Oxbridge interviews knowing their LNAT scores - it is hard enough for people waiting around for Oxbridge interviews without having everyone sitting outside comparing LNAT scores!

I wouldn't like to comare LNAT scores too much because someone with a lower LNAT score can easily beat the one with a higher score on the basis of the interview.

Do I assume you're talking from experience with repsect to wating around for Oxbridge interviews? :smile:
Reply 11
NDGAARONDI
I wouldn't like to comare LNAT scores too much because someone with a lower LNAT score can easily beat the one with a higher score on the basis of the interview.

Well, exactly, and especially at Oxbridge where you have the interview. But people often don't realise, and lots of people at interview tend to already feel inadequate, so hearing that - say - two thirds of the room beat them in the LNAT won't do anything for their pre-interview confidence

Do I assume you're talking from experience with repsect to wating around for Oxbridge interviews? :smile:

Yes, and - more recently - 'babysitting' students waiting for law interviews. There's always one who is boasting about how few UMS they dropped, how daddy is a judge, how they've been doing work experience since they were four... and its always them that you never see at the start of the next year :tongue:
jcw
and lots of people at interview tend to already feel inadequate

For understandable reasons perhaps? Unless this is what you mean anyway. I've no idea how I'd take the interview nerves-wise, if I actually get to that stage. I've heard a few experiences from it and it sometimes what you asked is what my lecturer and myself sometimes discuss on 1-2-1 basis.

jcw
so hearing that - say - two thirds of the room beat them in the LNAT won't do anything for their pre-interview confidence

It can work against you.

jcw
Yes, and - more recently - 'babysitting' students waiting for law interviews. There's always one who is boasting about how few UMS they dropped, how daddy is a judge, how they've been doing work experience since they were four...

Yeah. I've noticed people on here like this already and people get tired of it :tongue:

jcw
and its always them that you never see at the start of the next year :tongue:

True, but I guess you are at an advantage if you really have a parent in the legal profession. No doubt those who you speak of, many have lied in the name of showing off what they don't have.
Reply 13
Wei Loong
21.8 pence per page... Good job the LNAT won't be testing your math skills :wink:

Before I bought the book I asked myself will it make a difference, but then I calculate the American Test Prep Industry is big business because it must actually work - otherwise student won't spend thousands on courses. Anyway this has cost me the same as the test is going to cost me and I will pay thousands if it means I can get into a good Law school, when you earn £500 an hour as a partner at say Slaughter & May's, what is 21.8 pence per page?

hey man, it was late and i guesssed at the price of the book! I got 2 A Levels in maths, i hope i can still remember it :tongue:!

I won't be taking the LNAT anyway, I'm already going to Durham Uni 04 to study Law.

Just an aside about what you said about the American Test Prep Industry...could it not be the case that a) the LNAT is different from the LSAT (already discussed on another thread by tomcoolguyuk or similar) and b) the Industry simply preys on student insecurity, 'forcing' them to pay for the book. Since many American students (afaik) have college funds set up for them, it is no surprise that the companies can expect to recieve big bucks for their courses, as it may be a small drop in a big ocean!

Incidently, thinking of going to Oxbridge ? If you're not, forget about Slaughter and May :tongue: *coughs* oxbridge bias *coughs* :wink:
I find it ironic that someone can criticise someone's maths skills when they themselves are not brilliant at English. :wink:
Reply 15
NDGAARONDI
I find it ironic that someone can criticise someone's maths skills when they themselves are not brilliant at English. :wink:

Being a supposed (did german) linguist, i might say it read like a GoogleTranslation might! :tongue:

I offer no further evidence towards the claim M'Lud!
Reply 16
I am not applying for Oxbridge, I'm trying to maximise my chances at the other good schools, half are requiring the LNAT.. I got 12 in the official sample so I figured I need to get some practise!

tkfmbp
I won't be taking the LNAT anyway, I'm already going to Durham Uni 04 to study Law.

Congratulations on your Durham offer, you must be happy having it all lined up.

My friends older brother is a Slaughter's, he's not from Oxbridge, but yes they have bias. He told me the partners are on a minimum of £500k per year.

I guess the LNAT will be different from the LSAT like you say... I did some calculations...

8,000 students take the LNAT (guess 1k from each of the 8 universities)
5% buy the book if they are very lucky. They must be losing a lot of money on this!!

Anyway I thought the book was expensive, yes there is a lot of common sense, but there was alot that I didn't think of. I glad I bought it even if my score only improves to 14!!
Wei Loong
Anyway I thought the book was expensive, yes there is a lot of common sense, but there was alot that I didn't think of. I glad I bought it even if my score only improves to 14!!

A difference of two points could make all the difference. However, have you considered other useful resources? For example, critical thinking books might help, which has been suggested before. I won a critical thinking book on an online auction but if the seller doesn't hurry up I'll go to my local library and rent one if possible, and/or buy elsewhere :biggrin:
Reply 18
NDGAARONDI
For understandable reasons perhaps? Unless this is what you mean anyway. I've no idea how I'd take the interview nerves-wise, if I actually get to that stage. I've heard a few experiences from it and it sometimes what you asked is what my lecturer and myself sometimes discuss on 1-2-1 basis.

Absolutely for understandable, if incorrect, reasons. The point of interviews is to try to look beyond how the candidate appears on paper to what sort of student Oxbridge can turn them into. If people go in thinking 'I've got no chance of a place, everyone is better than me, I'm really going to mess this interview up' they suffer from the vicious circle syndrome: bad results lead to a bad interview. That's why I'm pleased the release of LNAT scores to candidates are being delayed until early Feb (I think - possibly late Jan - I haven't seen the confirmed date).

Interviews vary wildly, but it shouldn't matter what style they take. Invariably, they are trying to get you to show (i) how you think and (ii) whether you have the interest. You need (i) to cope with law and (ii) to put the effort in to use the ability you have! I know that many interviews are now run like mock supervisions, to see how you would cope in that environment, discussing a problem, receiving feedback, adapting your thinking and dealing with counter-arguments, etc.

In any case, I'm sure you will get to interview (if you apply) and just have the confidence to give it your best shot. The rewards are well worth it!

As for the LNAT - I really hope people don't spend money on this book. They are testing skills and all the research done shows that the key to these tests is just practising the skills: getting used to handling lots of text quickly, manipulating it, analysing it, drawing conclusions and inferences, etc. These are exactly the skills you need to be developing as a lawyer. So, rather than trying to learn 'tricks' to identifying wrong answers (which won't work, because the consortium will ensure that the LNAT can't be played) why not concentrate on trying to develop the skills? That can be done, as NDGAARONDI (you) has suggested, by working on the (free) sample papers, critical thinking papers, etc and just by working with complex text (newspapers, etc).
jcw, thank you for your comments. I've wondered whether 'self-help' textbooks like mind mapping could help. Does anyone think they might come in handy? I'm going to see if my local library has any books on this subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending