The Student Room Group

Unbearable stinging in my nipple...

I'm going to start off by admitting how embarrassing of a topic this is for me to discuss, thus the anonymous posting.

For the past few days, I've been having this painful stinging sensation in the centre of my right nipple. It's almost like a bee sting. At first I didn't think too much of it, but the tip of the nipple has now started to almost scab over and is catching on my clothes, causing even more excruciating pain.

Some basic details are that I'm 15, female, have a history with eczema/dry skin and have not started my period yet. I've done some research and apparently this "stinging nipples" thing occurs for some girls a few days before their monthly period begins, but since I've not even started mine, I'm not sure if I should be concerned.

I'm beginning to find it genuinely difficult to go about my daily activities as the slightest movement (even when I am wearing loose-fitting clothing) instantly causes the pain to increase. I also had a bubble bath tonight in the hopes of soothing it, but it seems it's only made the nipple more sensitive and thus more painful...

I really, really need advice.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to start off by admitting how embarrassing of a topic this is for me to discuss, thus the anonymous posting.

For the past few days, I've been having this painful stinging sensation in the centre of my right nipple. It's almost like a bee sting. At first I didn't think too much of it, but the tip of the nipple has now started to almost scab over and is catching on my clothes, causing even more excruciating pain.

Some basic details are that I'm 15, female, have a history with eczema/dry skin and have not started my period yet. I've done some research and apparently this "stinging nipples" thing occurs for some girls a few days before their monthly period begins, but since I've not even started mine, I'm not sure if I should be concerned.

I'm beginning to find it genuinely difficult to go about my daily activities as the slightest movement (even when I am wearing loose-fitting clothing) instantly causes the pain to increase. I also had a bubble bath tonight in the hopes of soothing it, but it seems it's only made the nipple more sensitive and thus more painful...

Do you not wear a bra? I would suggest covering it with a plaster or something so that it doesn't rub anymore, as that will cause irritation.
just go to the doc's
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Go see a doctor (you can request female dr or to have a chaperone if you want) and see what they say. Given that you already have skin problems it may just be an unlucky area to have affected. It could also be another skin issues or possibly a sign of something more serious.
Pain and odd marks are something you should see a dr for and the breasts are one of those areas you hear a lot of cancer stories about so it is totally appropriate to see a dr.
The doc can check it out and see what it is along with hopefully giving you a way to get rid of it. Since it's been going on for a while a normal appt would probably be fine. If you notice it getting substantially worse or are super worried you could ask for an urgent appt though.

For now i'll suggest a few things that may help it be less irritating.
A) wear a bra or crop top if you don't already (it will reduce the amount clothing rubs)
B) get a bra fitting if you already wear bras/ when you get your first. A poorly fitting bra can cause all sorts of issues. I doubt it could cause this, but it may be making it more irritating. Plus it's just good to have one that fits well.
C) consider a plaster or other cover if it's really irritating. Just shove it over the area (don't put the sticky part on sensitive bits obviously) whenever you would expect more rubbing or irritation.
D) Take plain baths. Bubble baths irritate anything sensitive. I believe milk baths and a pinch of salt in the bath are meant to be good for sensitivity and skin conditions like eczema so maybe try that. Also not too hot- again it irritates skin.
E) avoid using any products on the area. Like bubble baths it can irritate. If you want to try something like moisturiser make sure it is plain (something like E45 or aqueous cream maybe).
F) keep an eye on it and make a note and see a professional if it gets worse.

You may also want to look up how to examine your own breasts just so you know. It's something you should apparently do every month or something and it can't hurt so you might as well.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest