The Student Room Group

English Lit and French degree?

I've always wanted to do an English Lit degree, but recently I've really been enjoying French and don't want to lose it post A-Level. I've had a look at some joint degree courses, but wanted to do what people thought of that. I don't necessarily want to do a french degree, so is it better to say do a degree in English Lit and maybe take a gap year in France/ do summer work etc or take modules in French, or is the best way to maintain it/learn to do a joint degree? I've heard some things about joint degrees (honours) being so much work, but then others have said it's really good. Can anyone who's done this (doesn't matter what subjects, just basically a subject + a language) recommend me any options?
Original post by whycantwerun
I've always wanted to do an English Lit degree, but recently I've really been enjoying French and don't want to lose it post A-Level. I've had a look at some joint degree courses, but wanted to do what people thought of that. I don't necessarily want to do a french degree, so is it better to say do a degree in English Lit and maybe take a gap year in France/ do summer work etc or take modules in French, or is the best way to maintain it/learn to do a joint degree? I've heard some things about joint degrees (honours) being so much work, but then others have said it's really good. Can anyone who's done this (doesn't matter what subjects, just basically a subject + a language) recommend me any options?

If you study French as part of a joint honours degree then you will have to take modules in French literature, history, culture etc, is that something you'd be interested in? If all you want to do is maintain your French language skills then doing a joint honours degree may not be the best idea.

It is definitely possible to keep up with your French without studying it as part of your degree. Most universities have a language centre with language labs/self-learning facilities, and a lot also offer evening language classes to students who want to pick up a new language or continue learning a language they did at school. Depending on where you go to university, it may also be possible to take a French language module as one of your optional / outside modules in the first and second year (check English Lit degree structures to see if they have any optional modules). You may also be able to do a year abroad through the Erasmus+ exchange programme, check university websites to see if their English department has exchange links with any Francophone universities. And of course, you could always do summer language schools / cours d'été / université d'été in the holidays.
Original post by Snufkin
If you study French as part of a joint honours degree then you will have to take modules in French literature, history, culture etc, is that something you'd be interested in? If all you want to do is maintain your French language skills then doing a joint honours degree may not be the best idea.

It is definitely possible to keep up with your French without studying it as part of your degree. Most universities have a language centre with language labs/self-learning facilities, and a lot also offer evening language classes to students who want to pick up a new language or continue learning a language they did at school. Depending on where you go to university, it may also be possible to take a French language module as one of your optional / outside modules in the first and second year (check English Lit degree structures to see if they have any optional modules). You may also be able to do a year abroad through the Erasmus+ exchange programme, check university websites to see if their English department has exchange links with any Francophone universities. And of course, you could always do summer language schools / cours d'été / université d'été in the holidays.

Thanks for your response! I am interested in the culture/history etc, and do enjoy learning about it now, however would prefer to first get my language skills to a high level (meaning I would want to do a degree for the language learning aspects, above the want for the culture/history, which I can research/find in my own time, and talk to my French exchange partner about). My only reservations so far with a joint honour degree are the big work loads (I don't mind work, just have heard stories that it can be very stressful if both departments don't communicate and you get deadlines at the same time etc, and I want to enjoy my degree) and the fact that my dream course in English Literature at a different university is not offered with French. I have emailed the department to ask about French faculties/modules I could take but haven't had a reply quite just yet. My main question would be would I be losing out on any aspects of the French language by not do a degree with French, or could I just as easily learn and keep up with concepts in my own time? For most things I'm okay with self-learning, but sometimes some grammar points I need someone to explain to me. Please let me know if you disagree with any points I've said, I'm just going off my own beliefs so far but obviously haven't experienced the course yet! 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending