The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 1
Well let's just put it that you have to buy the core textbooks as already all of the core textbooks are out and it's such a pain to request them and whatever. That's what I'm finding for Management anyway.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
im doin economics in my second yr, the books r always taken unless ur the 1st person to go to the library straight after u have got ur reading lists and take the book out for ever, until the module is over and no one needs the book nemore! having sed that make that the first 10 people...on a course which has about 200-300 people.
Reply 3
I've just started the straight Economics course and so far it's been quite good. There's a very good range of modules you can take within the Economics department, not to mention all the modules you can take outside the school of Economics such as a language. The lecturers seem alright and the course seems to be well organised in terms of arranging tutorials for each module online. I haven't had a chance to go to the library yet. I've bought four textbooks which should be enough for this semester as I can go out and borrow any other books I might need. Three of the textbooks I got are the main core textbooks for the modules I'm doing (Microeconomics, Mathematical Economics and International Economics) and the final textbook was recommended by the lecturer doing Microeconomics for students with no Economics at A Level. The four textbooks cost a whopping £182.96!
Reply 4
Yeh that's what I'm doing, buying the 'core' text and then borrowing other books as supplementary reading. Lots of the reading is on the Internet in journals, well for management anyway so I can't imagine it's all that different for Economics.

I wouldn't recommend just doing one advanced level language course if you are not keen on buying books as it has cost me a small fortune for books for French, but then they serve my time throughout the whole of the uni and not just for the first semester so I do not mind.

Moreover, in management, not sure about economics, but the second and third year's modules require knowledge from first year too, so you might be using them books again. And my economics textbook covers all three year's worth of economics modules, so.. sorry for this being really really rambly, but I hope that you understand.
Reply 5
Yeh I'm pretty happy with the course so far, as said above there is an unusually generous amount of module options so you can choose what your happy with. To be honest from what I've been told by friends elsewhere there are very few library's which have enough core textbooks to have them readily available, your always going to have to buy some. Here there is always a reference copy kept in the library of each core book, so you can get hold of one just can't take it out.
When do they usually give out offers/rejections? sent ucas on the 2nd of october
Reply 7
Well I got my offer quite soon after I applied but that was because I already had my grades and I was given an unconditional offer... You should get some sort of reply in the next couple of months I would have thought and you may get details on any interviews you need to attend.
Reply 8
Hai,
i'm thinking of applying to Kent next year 2008 for economics with french. I would like to know, how difficult or how many mathematical skills are required for economics. Is it a math based subject or is math only a side topic?
Thank you!
Reply 9
Maybe you could try writing this in the Kent subforum as then you'll get specific information about the Economics from their course.
Reply 10
DorianGrey
To be honest from what I've been told by friends elsewhere there are very few library's which have enough core textbooks to have them readily available, your always going to have to buy some. Here there is always a reference copy kept in the library of each core book, so you can get hold of one just can't take it out.

Absolutely. Thing is to find out what the library policy is in terms of # core books/people on the module. Then you can ask for more books if that figure is too low.

Most libraries have copies of other books on the same subject so these can be of use. i.e. provide different view of same material. They tend to see that as their role rather than provdiing copies of all the core books for everyone.
Reply 11
And don't forget previous versions - they don't change much!! (sorry if someone's already mentioned this)

Latest

Trending

Trending