The Student Room Group

Student Finance Question

Hello all,

I am currently in my second year of my degree and after having discussed it with my Tutor and the University Help Zone I am dropping out of this year. (I will only come out of the course with a one full completed year, so a Cert HE).

The problem I am facing is reapplying for a different course. I am interested in a subject where I don't hold the relevant qualifications and was therefore looking at a Foundation Degree.

I know if you have previously completed full years with SFE you only get part funding if you change course. The part where I am confused is where will I have to pay for the year myself?

Will I have to pay for the FIRST year of the Foundation degree, or the Second year of the foundation degree?

Many Thanks
Original post by Jayvp
Hello all,

I am currently in my second year of my degree and after having discussed it with my Tutor and the University Help Zone I am dropping out of this year. (I will only come out of the course with a one full completed year, so a Cert HE).

The problem I am facing is reapplying for a different course. I am interested in a subject where I don't hold the relevant qualifications and was therefore looking at a Foundation Degree.

I know if you have previously completed full years with SFE you only get part funding if you change course. The part where I am confused is where will I have to pay for the year myself?

Will I have to pay for the FIRST year of the Foundation degree, or the Second year of the foundation degree?

Many Thanks

The way it works is this:

1. You get full funding for a degree plus 1 gift year (which allows you to change your mind).

2.In your case you have used the gift year plus 1 years additional funding, which leaves you with a degree-1 worth of funding.

3. You want to go on a degree with a foundation course. It is important the foundation is integrated into the degree and not a separate course. You need to check this an indication would be auto enrollment in the main degree course upon completion and for registration to be the name of the course plus foundation year.

If it was combined then you would have degree -1 funding and the -1 funding is applied in the first year i.e you would have to find your own fees. I believe (check) you can still apply for maintenance.
If it was separate then you would have degree -2, (assuming it lasted a year), which is why its important to make sure its joined onto the main degree.

4. The only way to get round this is a compelling personal reasons claim to get a year of finance discounted i.e your second year, which are normally based on medical or personal circumstances such as depression, illness bereavement etc. Not liking the course is not enough. They consider this on a case by case basis and medical or professional evidence is helpful// important. If successful they could restore that year and you would be funded for the whole degree.

5. The only other option is if the uni accepted your cert of HE as a transfer and let you o into the 2nd year. As its a different course this is highly unlikely.

In hindsight the best time to leave is during the first year.
Reply 2
It isn't straightforward, as tigger has explained.

Also, be careful of accepting the CertHE and check with SF first. In theory, you cannot be funded for a qualification which is the same or lower than one you already hold. The CertHE is the equivalent of the first year at uni, meaning that it may disqualify you from receiving any SF funding for a Foundation and first year of any future course.

We've had mixed advice about accepting the CertHE here (from some who've had subsequent full funding, and some who have been denied it), so please check direct with SF. Might be worth posting in the Ask Student Finance section here, where official SF staff answer queries.

Unfortunately, as tigger said, dropping out after your first year without Compelling Personal Reasons (serious illness, bereavement etc) will generally mean that you are one year short of funding for a future full degree course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending