The Student Room Group

Tuition fee loans

Hi!

I have been offered a place at Keele University on the Medicine with a health foundation year course to start in September. However, I received a letter through the door this morning from student finance, saying that for the length of my course (which is 6 years) I wont get a tuition fee loan because I already have a degree in Psychology but i will get a maintenance loan.

Panicked, I phoned up Student finance england, and the guy on the phone told me that there is nothing on the system indicating that a decision about my application had been made, only that the letter had been sent out and it had then been cancelled but was sent anyway.

He said its strange that I would receive a letter saying i am not entitled to tuition fee loans as apparently medicine is an "exceptions" course (as you dont normally get tuition fee loans for second degrees).

He said he will bring it up with his manager, as it is possible that the person assessing my application hasnt overriden the system to say that im on an exceptions course. He said to keep checking my student finance and if i havent heard anything phone back next week.

He also said there is a possibility that this is correct and that i wont be receiving a tuition fee loan.

Has anybody experienced this problem? Im reading conflicting things online one thing saying i should get it, others saying i wont.

Any insight would be much appreciated, as i really have no idea what to expect and i am panicking - i dont think i will be able to attend if im liable to pay the £9000 per year myself.

Sorry this is so long winded!
Original post by Ncollins93
Hi!

I have been offered a place at Keele University on the Medicine with a health foundation year course to start in September. However, I received a letter through the door this morning from student finance, saying that for the length of my course (which is 6 years) I wont get a tuition fee loan because I already have a degree in Psychology but i will get a maintenance loan.

Panicked, I phoned up Student finance england, and the guy on the phone told me that there is nothing on the system indicating that a decision about my application had been made, only that the letter had been sent out and it had then been cancelled but was sent anyway.

He said its strange that I would receive a letter saying i am not entitled to tuition fee loans as apparently medicine is an "exceptions" course (as you dont normally get tuition fee loans for second degrees).

He said he will bring it up with his manager, as it is possible that the person assessing my application hasnt overriden the system to say that im on an exceptions course. He said to keep checking my student finance and if i havent heard anything phone back next week.

He also said there is a possibility that this is correct and that i wont be receiving a tuition fee loan.

Has anybody experienced this problem? Im reading conflicting things online one thing saying i should get it, others saying i wont.

Any insight would be much appreciated, as i really have no idea what to expect and i am panicking - i dont think i will be able to attend if im liable to pay the £9000 per year myself.

I am afraid that's right. You only get tuition fee funding, as a graduate, if you get a place on a four year course. Otherwise you have to pay the £9k tuition fees yourself. (Only for the first four years, NHS will take over in year five)
You still get a maintenance loan

Posted from TSR Mobile
From what i can see it seems to be correct that you'll get a maintenance loan but not a tuition fee loan, even the gov website says it "limited funding"
Hi,

Unless you apply for the 4 year Graduate Entry Medicine which is an exception, you are eligible for the length of your course + 1 year - any years started in Student Finance.

So if your Psychology course was for 3 years, you would get a maintenance loan only in years 1-, and the full tuition + maintenace loan for years 3-6 (not 100% sure how it works with a foundation year - SFE should be able to clarify.)

Not sure if in some specific circumstances that changes, but I think that's how it generally works. I will have to pay my tuition fees up front myself for the first year of my course.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rainy Times
Hi,

Unless you apply for the 4 year Graduate Entry Medicine which is an exception, you are eligible for the length of your course + 1 year - any years started in Student Finance.

So if your Psychology course was for 3 years, you would get a maintenance loan only in years 1-, and the full tuition + maintenace loan for years 3-6 (not 100% sure how it works with a foundation year - SFE should be able to clarify.)

Not sure if in some specific circumstances that changes, but I think that's how it generally works. I will have to pay my tuition fees up front myself for the first year of my course.

For medicine it doesn't quite work like that. They would get maintenance throughout but no SFE tuition support at all. NHS funding would kick in in year 5 (and pay for year six too) but they would need to find the £36k+ for the first four years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
For medicine it doesn't quite work like that. They would get maintenance throughout but no SFE tuition support at all. NHS funding would kick in in year 5 (and pay for year six too) but they would need to find the £36k+ for the first four years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah my mistake, I was thinking of cases where they'd started higher education but not completed the course. Apologies OP!
Hi!

You won't get any tuition fee loan if you've already got an undergraduate degree. Medicine is an exception from the usual ELQ rules, meaning you do qualify for the maintenance loan, subject to assessment but you will need to fund the £9,250 or whatever it is now tuition fee yourself.

If you get a full maintenance loan, there's nothing stopping you using that to pay the fees. You would then, of course, need to fund the living costs yourself. Either way, standard medicine as a second undergraduate degree is a huge financial undertaking.
Original post by Rainy Times
Ah my mistake, I was thinking of cases where they'd started higher education but not completed the course. Apologies OP!

No probs, I thought as much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you all for the responses! I'm thinking i will probably have to use my maintenance loan to partially pay for my tuition fees and get a part time job for the first couple of years. I refuse to give up because of money :biggrin:!
Thank you all for the responses! I'm thinking i will probably have to use my maintenance loan to partially pay for my tuition fees and get a part time job for the first couple of years. I refuse to give up because of money :biggrin:!

Have you had a chat to the uni? See what they offer? They might not be able to help you to start with, but it is worth seeing what they can do for you down the line in terms of hardship funding etc in case you struggle.

I've been watching this thread and I expected quite a different response! I applaud your positivity and determination!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending