The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It has definitely gone too far in certain aspects (I'm mainly talking about the side that gets a lot of media attention, the sorts of SJWs that we all make fun of basically). I'm all for equality and whatnot, it's great that people care, but it's being taken too far. Sh*t like "cultural appropriation" for example. B*tch, if that white dude wants dreads, let him rock dreads.

The whole SJW agenda has gone too far really. There's a reason the vast majority of people who hold these views are teens/young adults who have had absolutely zero experience of real life, and with Universities adopting these cancerous, and arguably extremist views, it's only getting worse
(edited 6 years ago)
If you read any linguistic research paper on political correctness the author will set out in the opening paragraph that most of the things you hear about political correctness ('baa baa woolly sheep' and what have you) are myths circulated by the likes of the Daily Mail. The serious and mainstream aim behind the movement is primarily to avoid offence through historically-loaded words, and that seems fair enough to me.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMcSame
It has definitely gone too far in certain aspects. I'm all for equality and whatnot, it's great that people care, but it's being taken too far. Sh*t like "cultural appropriation".

The whole SJW agenda has gone too far really. There's a reason the vast majority of people who hold these views are teens/young adults who have had absolutely zero experience of real life, and with Universities adopting this cancerous, and arguably extremist point of view it's only getting worse

A friend was nervous about wearing shalwar Kameez, because she was afraid her friends from oxford uni would accuse her of "cultural appropriation" I told her I'm Asian and i don't give a damn, and I thought it's pretty cool! Instead, she had to lie to her uni friends that I bought her the clothes and asked her to try it on like Wtf.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
It has definitely gone too far in certain aspects (I'm mainly talking about the side that gets a lot of media attention, the sorts of SJWs that we all make fun of basically). I'm all for equality and whatnot, it's great that people care, but it's being taken too far. Sh*t like "cultural appropriation" for example. B*tch, if that white dude wants dreads, let him rock dreads.

The whole SJW agenda has gone too far really. There's a reason the vast majority of people who hold these views are teens/young adults who have had absolutely zero experience of real life, and with Universities adopting these cancerous, and arguably extremist views, it's only getting worse

I don't really get the whole cultural appropriation thing.
All of it has gone too far.
SJWs, alt righters, all of you that fall under this category. You're all :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing annoying and I can't wait for the newest political trend to come along because western identity politics and victimhood culture is shoved in my face so much I feel like gagging.
(edited 6 years ago)
I really disagree with "cultural appropriation" and I find it to be very hypocritical.

Many black women comment how wearing your hair in braids is "disrespectful" because that is how they have to deal with their natural hair and you wearing your hair like that is just undermining them.

How about the thousands if not millions of black women across the world who weave their hair or wear wigs to make their hair look like white peoples hair? The hypocrisy is jus unreal.

I myself am definitely not a racist person and I believe that people of any race or any colour should be able to wear their hair however the h they want without being made to feel like they are undermining a minority.

What about people who dye their hair different colours? Say a blonde woman dyes her hair brown - is she disrespecting that woman's culture by dyeing her hair like that? Seriously, how easily can some people get offended.

be who you want

let others be who they want to be

let others express themselves how they want to express themselves

and in return you can express yourself however you want to.

love and peace yall <3
Reply 7
Original post by StrawbAri
All of you have gone too far.
SJWs, alt righters, all of you.

I was missing you
No. I see more people complaining about the "PC culture" than people actually being PC.

There's a difference between being "PC" and being a d*ckhead who brings more trouble to society.
Yes.
Original post by Sarahsez
I was missing you

What?
Reply 11
when it comes to feminism yes
Reply 12
#1: A social justice warrior reads an essay about a form of internal misogyny where women and girls insult stereotypical feminine activities and characteristics in order to boost themselves over other women. The SJW absorbs this and later complains in response to a Huffington Post article about a 10-year-old feminist's letter, because the 10-year-old called the color pink "prissy".

#2: Commnter: "I don't like getting manicures. It's too prissy."
SJW: "Oh my god, how dare you use that word, you disgusting sexist piece of ####!"
Original post by feministy
I don't really get the whole cultural appropriation thing.

HI, I just thought I would offer you this link on why cultural appropriation is considered bad.
You don't have to read it. It is just a perspective on it.
http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/
Original post by bethanyharris
I really disagree with "cultural appropriation" and I find it to be very hypocritical.

Many black women comment how wearing your hair in braids is "disrespectful" because that is how they have to deal with their natural hair and you wearing your hair like that is just undermining them.

How about the thousands if not millions of black women across the world who weave their hair or wear wigs to make their hair look like white peoples hair? The hypocrisy is jus unreal.

I myself am definitely not a racist person and I believe that people of any race or any colour should be able to wear their hair however the h they want without being made to feel like they are undermining a minority.

What about people who dye their hair different colours? Say a blonde woman dyes her hair brown - is she disrespecting that woman's culture by dyeing her hair like that? Seriously, how easily can some people get offended.

be who you want

let others be who they want to be

let others express themselves how they want to express themselves

and in return you can express yourself however you want to.

love and peace yall <3

The reason why people get up in arms about 'cultural appropriation' is because people are annoyed that when they wear their cultural attires or hair styles they get made fun of or called ghetto or ratchet and what not but when a white person does it it's high fashion and edgy.
Obviously this doesn't mean one should police what another person does with their hair or the clothes they wear but it's okay for people to feel annoyed.
Reply 15
Original post by sophia1928
HI, I just thought I would offer you this link on why cultural appropriation is considered bad.

I find it a compliment when people want to get involved in my culture.

Fair enough, I just thought I would offer the other perspective
Original post by StrawbAri
The reason why people get up in arms about 'cultural appropriation' is because people are annoyed that when they wear their cultural attires or hair styles they get made fun of or called ghetto or ratchet and what not but when a white person does it it's high fashion and edgy.
Obviously this doesn't mean one should police what another person does with their hair or the clothes they wear but it's okay for people to feel annoyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVMJmC0V98
from 0:46 until she stops speaking

(this whole video in whole is one of the most racist things I've ever seen)

If its seen as chavvy for a white woman to wear her hair in a ponytail whilst wearing trackies does she have the right to be mad at a black woman wearing her hair in a pony and wearing trackies because she looks good wearing it?

I personally do NOT believe so.
Original post by sophia1928

I've read a lot on it trying to get my mind around it- I get a few points, but mostly I disagree. Like don't get a tattoo of some culture thing on your butt.
I wouldn't trust everydayfeminism.com btw.

I agree with you and I wish others felt the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending