The Student Room Group

Will universities require my individual exam marks?

Hi everyone, I'm currently studying a 5 year integrated masters degree in Physics and am hoping to carry on to postgraduate study afterwards. I'm still quite early into my degree so I don't know much about applying for postgraduate, and was wondering whether universities will ask for your individual marks/classification in all of your exams at university, or if they just look at your overall degree classification?

Thanks for any help in advance. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by EmmaLouise759
Hi everyone, I'm currently studying a 5 year integrated masters degree in Physics and am hoping to carry on to postgraduate study afterwards. I'm still quite early into my degree so I don't know much about applying for postgraduate, and was wondering whether universities will ask for your individual marks/classification in all of your exams at university, or if they just look at your overall degree classification?

Thanks for any help in advance. :smile:

Potentially both. For my PhD I had to submit both my undergrad + Masters overall results (will just be the one result for you), but they also asked for my Masters transcript to look at individual module marks as well. Depends on the uni/department policy.
Original post by Klix88
Potentially both. For my PhD I had to submit both my undergrad + Masters overall results (will just be the one result for you), but they also asked for my Masters transcript to look at individual module marks as well. Depends on the uni/department policy.

Do you think they'd ask about marks that didn't go towards your overall degree classification, such as first year marks that didn't count?

Also, do you know how to find the policies for individual universities? I've found that they tend to ask for a 2:1 but they don't tend to give any more specification than that. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by EmmaLouise759
Do you think they'd ask about marks that didn't go towards your overall degree classification, such as first year marks that didn't count?

Also, do you know how to find the policies for individual universities? I've found that they tend to ask for a 2:1 but they don't tend to give any more specification than that. :frown:

Your first year marks will appear on your transcript, so if they ask for the transcript they will see the results. I wouldn!t worry too much about it. The first year is your "apprentice" year, when you're getting the hang of uni study and some people take a while to get into gear. If your overall grade and any later modules relevant to the PhD were good, then it's unlikely to make a difference. Your academic references should offset any effect.

If the policy of the uni isn't on the website, the only way to find out would be to ask the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending