The Student Room Group

I think I'm in love but he's moving to America in under a month!

So I've been friends with this guy for a year and I've always had a crush on him but because I knew that he was only here for a year I never acted on it. Recently my feelings for him have got stronger and I felt like he might feel the same way. We've 'cuddled' (ew I hate that word) in bed when watching movies etc. and it's got to the point where my feelings are so strong I feel like I might love him (as dramatic as that sounds I think it's true..). Anyway he's going back to America in a few weeks (he was only here on a year abroad) and idk I feel like if I don't tell him/ask him if he feels the same way it will eat me up forever. On the other hand if he doesn't feel the same way then it will just make things awkward forever because he'll just remember me as that girl that fancied him for ages and did nothing about it..
SO what should I do? Should I tell him or leave it?
ask em out. But thats if you want a long distance relationship
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been friends with this guy for a year and I've always had a crush on him but because I knew that he was only here for a year I never acted on it. Recently my feelings for him have got stronger and I felt like he might feel the same way. We've 'cuddled' (ew I hate that word) in bed when watching movies etc. and it's got to the point where my feelings are so strong I feel like I might love him (as dramatic as that sounds I think it's true..). Anyway he's going back to America in a few weeks (he was only here on a year abroad) and idk I feel like if I don't tell him/ask him if he feels the same way it will eat me up forever. On the other hand if he doesn't feel the same way then it will just make things awkward forever because he'll just remember me as that girl that fancied him for ages and did nothing about it..
SO what should I do? Should I tell him or leave it?

Just pick one instead of tying yourself in knots. Moe likely to regret if you dont ask, but not much will happen in 2 weeks. I suppose you could sleep with him if you wished.
Reply 3
Original post by KFrostMU
ask em out. But thats if you want a long distance relationship

Exactly thats the thing, as much as I like him I don't think I could deal with long distance and I don't think he'd want to...

Original post by 999tigger
Just pick one instead of tying yourself in knots. Moe likely to regret if you dont ask, but not much will happen in 2 weeks. I suppose you could sleep with him if you wished.

I think I'll probably regret it if I don't but I don't see the point in making things awkward because I don't think long distance would work...

I think I'll probably regret it if I don't but I don't see the point in making things awkward because I don't think long distance would work...

Like a holiday romance. Why not tell him its a shame hes going as you would have liked to get to know him better and leave it at that if you dont want to sleep with him? That way you dont have regret and dealt with it on your terms? Maybe dont wait so long next time.
Well long distance relationships end up not working out so it's your call if you still wanna date or what
Reply 6
Like a holiday romance. Why not tell him its a shame hes going as you would have liked to get to know him better and leave it at that if you dont want to sleep with him? That way you dont have regret and dealt with it on your terms? Maybe dont wait so long next time.

Thing is we're pretty close so I don't think that would be clear enough for him...Yeah I know I shouldn't have left it but I thought the crush would just kinda fizzle out like most do... :frown:
Thing is we're pretty close so I don't think that would be clear enough for him...Yeah I know I shouldn't have left it but I thought the crush would just kinda fizzle out like most do... :frown:

Its obviously not that clear, but if you feel it is, then you have your answer.

You ask for advice then you back yourself into corners. I gave you a way of finding out without getting into a relationship.
Reply 8
Its obviously not that clear, but if you feel it is, then you have your answer.

You ask for advice then you back yourself into corners. I gave you a way of finding out without getting into a relationship.

Okay...
Okay...

The point is you are tying yourself in knots when you can choose A or B. Just do one or the others as they both have pros and cons.
Ok, what's your situation??? Are you willing to relocate - at least for a short time?? Assuming he's a US citizen, he can get you in as a visitor for a few months. Then, you could apply to a uni here, and be a student. Not much of a language barrier. What have you got to lose??? If you don't hazzard a try, you'll live the rest of your life wondering. As to working? do you have any salable skills? The Uk embassy in D.C. hires Uk nationals. "Me neighbour" is from Edinburgh, and has worked for them for years here. I suspect that the Oz and Canadian embassies do similar. There are jobs at all of them that US nationals (like me) are not allowed near - cypher clerk for the ambassador for one. Some of the MI-5 and MI-6 positions similarly. You would have a 'leg up' for any of those. I presume that you could pass a security check. You will find that things are cheaper here, living costs (even around D.C.) are lower than much of the Uk, and there is a large Uk expat community. You're only young once, why not give it a try. He probably feels the same as you do. I had a similar opportunity ages ago, and for a couple of reasons let it go. I've regretted it ever since. If he doesn't, you've lost nothing. Next time, make an approach faster - when you sense you might be compatible. Best of luck - Cheers.
Check the last post date
Original post by Rabbit2
Ok, what's your situation??? Are you willing to relocate - at least for a short time?? Assuming he's a US citizen, he can get you in as a visitor for a few months. Then, you could apply to a uni here, and be a student. Not much of a language barrier. What have you got to lose??? If you don't hazzard a try, you'll live the rest of your life wondering. As to working? do you have any salable skills? The Uk embassy in D.C. hires Uk nationals. "Me neighbour" is from Edinburgh, and has worked for them for years here. I suspect that the Oz and Canadian embassies do similar. There are jobs at all of them that US nationals (like me) are not allowed near - cypher clerk for the ambassador for one. Some of the MI-5 and MI-6 positions similarly. You would have a 'leg up' for any of those. I presume that you could pass a security check. You will find that things are cheaper here, living costs (even around D.C.) are lower than much of the Uk, and there is a large Uk expat community. You're only young once, why not give it a try. He probably feels the same as you do. I had a similar opportunity ages ago, and for a couple of reasons let it go. I've regretted it ever since. If he doesn't, you've lost nothing. Next time, make an approach faster - when you sense you might be compatible. Best of luck - Cheers.
Original post by quirky editor
Check the last post date

Thanks - i do that every once in a while..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending