The Student Room Group

Nurses and there pay rise

Since the election is coming up, ive been hearing about nurses only getting a 1% pay rise, and so much aggro over this but why ? Dont nurses get paid like £20000 a year ?

Why would they need/want more ?
Original post by redleader1

To be able to pay their mortgage? To be able to go home and relax after a long shift without having to worry about money? To pay for their kid's school shoes? To be able to afford a cheap holiday or two?

There is a need to attract and retain competent nurses, fill staff shortfalls and become less reliant on importing nurses from abroad. It is difficult to achieve that by cutting wages in real terms.
Since the election is coming up, ive been hearing about nurses only getting a 1% pay rise, and so much aggro over this but why ? Dont nurses get paid like £20000 a year ?

Pay should be about supply and demand. Need and want don't really come into it.

A 1% pay rise is actually a pay cut in real terms, so your question should be somewhat different. How much of a mortgage, or even rent, does £20k support? I assume that's a starting salary, but even then, it seems low. Nurses do a difficult job, work shifts and are vital to a patient's treatment. They seems to be difficult to hire, so demand looks to outstrip supply, from my limited knowledge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Quantex
To be able to pay their mortgage? To be able to go home and relax after a long shift without having to worry about money? To pay for their kid's school shoes? To be able to afford a cheap holiday or two?

There is a need to attract and retain competent nurses, fill staff shortfalls and become less reliant on importing nurses from abroad. It is difficult to achieve that by cutting wages in real terms.

Isnt that the same for everyone ? Why just the nurses doesnt £20,000 cover their job role ? As it is mainly patient care. I mean I work in the NHS too but I dont be asking for a pay rise. Why is the big image on nurses.
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
Pay should be about supply and demand. Need and want don't really come into it.

A 1% pay rise is actually a pay cut in real terms, so your question should be somewhat different. How much of a mortgage, or even rent, does £20k support? I assume that's a starting salary, but even then, it seems low. Nurses do a difficult job, work shifts and are vital to a patient's treatment. They seems to be difficult to hire, so demand looks to outstrip supply, from my limited knowledge.

But what about everyone else who is earning £20k ? As a starting salary its still not bad. I dont understand why its difficult to hire nurses, arent many people interested in the degree, we have some many fantastic uni's here that can support people including nurses.
But what about everyone else who is earning £20k ?

If there is more demand than supply for those roles, salaries will increase. If there isn't, they could fall.
Reply 6
Newly qualified nurses earn about £21,692 as their starting out salary. It then goes up depending on experience and new roles they take on. This is also the same wage for newly qualified junior doctors I believe. :smile:
Sure, nurses don't get paid a lot, but they don't go in it for the money. In terms of rent etc., many live outside of London or in council houses anyway, due to the low pay. With low pay, they may qualify for free school meals etc., sure,mits not a lot, but it's manageable, and that's all they care about if they become nurses
Reply 8
But what about everyone else who is earning £20k ? As a starting salary its still not bad. I dont understand why its difficult to hire nurses, arent many people interested in the degree, we have some many fantastic uni's here that can support people including nurses.

Because it's long shifts - usually 12 hours, but you're often off late. It's very busy, so you don't always get a break. The shifts are 24/7 which means you will be working nights, bank holidays, Easter, Christmas. Some shifts will be finishing at times like 2am - public transport might not be running, but you'll be charged to park your car and may not be able to find a space. It's hard emotionally seeing ill people. People die, even children. You'll see some very horrible injuries, and thinks like abused children. Some patients will be drunk and abusive. Some patients are not drunk but are still abusive. Some patients will be waiting too long so will complain, or management will complain about waiting times. But you'll have too many patients and not enough hands. Any mistakes you make could kill someone, so you're not allowed to have an "off-day". Protocols and treatments change, and you're expected to do continual CPD in your spare time to keep on top of things.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
Because it's long shifts - usually 12 hours, but you're often off late. It's very busy, so you don't always get a break. The shifts are 24/7 which means you will be working nights, bank holidays, Easter, Christmas. Some shifts will be finishing at times like 2am - public transport might not be running, but you'll be charged to park your car and may not be able to find a space. It's hard emotionally seeing ill people. People die, even children. You'll see some very horrible injuries, and thinks like abused children. Some patients will be drunk and abusive. Some patients are not drunk but are still abusive. Some patients will be waiting too long so will complain, or management will complain about waiting times. But you'll have too many patients and not enough hands. Any mistakes you make could kill someone, so you're not allowed to have an "off-day". Protocols and treatments change, and you're expected to do continual CPD in your spare time to keep on top of things.

Yeah but its not the only job that requires stress like this, not only that the entry requirments are not that difficult. Yeah I also work in a 24/7 environment. My point being is that it is not only nurses that have to work under pressure, what about paramedics, police officers, ECA's and people who work as special constables within the police which is a voluntary role in which you are a police officer, your life is on the line for a job like that and technically you could be killed any time on shift.

I dont understand why nurses have come foward with the big who ha, claiming they need a higher pay where in reality they dont. But want people to bring on sympathy and want a higher wage.

PS This is what I have seen on the labour party's facebook page.
Original post by fdaniels
Newly qualified nurses earn about £21,692 as their starting out salary. It then goes up depending on experience and new roles they take on. This is also the same wage for newly qualified junior doctors I believe. :smile:

But why do they want an increase, do they really need one ? Like I said in my other post there are also others jobs where people work under pressure.
Original post by That'sGreat
Sure, nurses don't get paid a lot, but they don't go in it for the money. In terms of rent etc., many live outside of London or in council houses anyway, due to the low pay. With low pay, they may qualify for free school meals etc., sure,mits not a lot, but it's manageable, and that's all they care about if they become nurses

So why complain about pay ?
Reply 12
I think we moan because admin get the same pay as we do aswell.. 😂 That's why I moan my friend is on the same as me and she is in admin it's frustrates me!
Original post by Betty17
I think we moan because admin get the same pay as we do aswell.. 😂 That's why I moan my friend is on the same as me and she is in admin it's frustrates me!

Surely you knew this before you became a nurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending