The Student Room Group

Manchester uni sackings as Brexit starts to bite as predicted

Scroll to see replies

Now a plain reading of that would not seem to suggest they think damaging STEM research is a good thing now would it?
Original post by Plagioclase
It's a good thing though, because the fewer intelligent people there are in this country, the fewer people there are to tell Brexiters that they're living on a different plane of reality from the rest of society.

It's always disappointing to realise that more than half the entire country are ready and available to be manipulated by cynical *******s with hidden agendas ready to control the morons with a load of moron-fodder. You just hope, you know, that things are better than that.
Good for them if that's what they want to do. They're not going to silence the will of the British people, who have clearly and decisively voted to leave the EU.
Original post by Trapz99
Good for them if that's what they want to do. They're not going to silence the will of the British people, who have clearly and decisively voted to leave the EU.

Yes, why worry about trivial things like the collapse of a major part of our economy? After all, you will be able to trade it for false promises of reductions in immigration and that will leave a warm fuzzy glow when on the dole queue.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not all of those have a Brexit component, but quite a few do. Reductions in public funding? Driven by Brexit - the government have happily admitted that austerity has to increase as a result of the madcap Cameron referendum and its idiot outcome. Exchange rate fluctuations? Perhaps you haven't noticed the crash in the pound that followed the, er, now let me think, what was it? Oh yes. Brexit vote. Potential decline in student numbers? From the EU perhaps? Driven by Brexit? Who knows, maybe there's a connection.

Sorry, these are managerial decisions to improve profitability by switching resources from "less profitable" to "more profitable" areas in response to the government's planned changes in university funding. This is not a hunkering down.to withstand stormy financial conditions.
Reply 25
Original post by l'etranger
Am I more or less of a troll than the person saying we should overturn the outcome of a democratic vote?

Original post by limetang
"Academia is not very important outside STEM and finance, this is to be welcomed."

So, to be clear, do you welcome it except for where it affects STEM ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 26
Yes I would, although its a total irrelevance now since Manchester has denied that this move was anything to do with Brexit, so I expect you to apologise to me before giving OP a hard time for spreading fake news you ridiculous little man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39873778

I'm not the OP.
Original post by Doonesbury
I'm not the OP.

You're clearly not very literate either.
But without Manchester academics we wouldn't have Graphene :frown:

Academia is not very important outside STEM and finance, this is to be welcomed.

You're a total tool.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

You're a total tool.

How's the post graduate study going?
Original post by Trapz99

No they haven't. Those that bothered to vote, voted in favor with a small majority.

Good to see you care so little about these things. Just another typical ignorant Brexiteer.
How's the post graduate study going?

Waste of time
Waste of time

:smile:
:smile:

It also has a gulf of talking about issues like what role machine learning should play in society and whether it is good that someone can patent a once open source algorithm and take it away from the public sphere. You know... the things the humanities talk about. This probably helps explains why STEM is full of arrogant ***** looking down on the humanities thinking they can just engineer away humanity's problems at the same time as reviling in the prospect of destroying the humanities via starving off their funding.
(edited 6 years ago)
It also has a gulf of talking about issues like what role machine learning should play in society and whether it is good that someone can patent a once open source algorithm and take it away from the public sphere. You know... the things the humanities talk about. This probably helps explains why STEM is full of arrogant ***** looking down on the humanities thinking they can just engineer away humanity's problems at the same time as reviling in the prospect of destroying the humanities via starving off their funding.

If it wasn't possible to patent tech, companies wouldn't pay the millions of pounds/dollars required to meet development costs. This is why humanities students are a drain on society, they endlessly talk about ethical issues and in doing so appear deep and wise, but they're far from it since they ignored the social context and wider implications of their ideological idiocy.
Reply 35
If it wasn't possible to patent tech, companies wouldn't pay the millions of pounds/dollars required to meet development costs. This is why humanities students are a drain on society, they endlessly talk about ethical issues and in doing so appear deep and wise, but they're far from it since they ignored the social context and wider implications of their ideological idiocy.

Tesla.

Edit to add: and who enforces your beloved patents? Humanities grads, aka lawyers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Tesla.

Edit to add: and who enforces your beloved patents? Humanities grads, aka lawyers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure Elon Musk patents the technology his company develops.
Reply 37
I'm sure Elon Musk patents the technology his company develops.

Didn't you check?

Here let me help you: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

That was his choice, so it's fine.
Typical blame Brexit for everything story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending