The Student Room Group

Why you should NOT VOTE conservatives

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
lol that Farage interview is from a year ago immediately after the referendum.. He was never part of the tory leave campaign thats why he says he has nothing to do with that promise. The UKIP and Tory campaigns were seperate.

Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, promised this
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
It wasn't her pledge to make, it was Boris Johnson, regardless, why is this being brought up? It's not relevant to the tories in any way.

Okay and you do understand that we also are in the middle of massive EU bailouts? Having to improve policing due to terrorism? Having to increase council housing? Having to build more schools? Having to contribute more to NATO?

You cannot look at the stats alone, look at the various factors and causes first

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is because that was the basis on which people voted leave. Your previous statement even mentioned the extra 350 million after leaving the EU. The fact that Johnson and his team are now leading Brexit means we need to hold them to account
Original post by ProfessorSnape
It is because that was the basis on which people voted leave. Your previous statement even mentioned the extra 350 million after leaving the EU. The fact that Johnson and his team are now leading Brexit means we need to hold them to account

I totally agree with you that the money needs to be accounted for and that a solid promise needs to be made. However, it is Boris Johnson who needs to account for it,as you said, not the tory government as a whole

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right so I can reply now

The £350 million more to the NHS is when we leave the EU, we have not left the EU yet, so this is a null point.

The tories have 42 years in power compared to 28 years for labour as well as ww1 and ww2, this is why overall they have borrrowed more, if you did some research you would understand that. They slashed the national debt in half, so you are talking rubbish.

Those that are rich have worked hard for their money, why do you assume that every rich person has had that money handed to them?

The low wage argument literally has no credence, if we paid say a builder £2 million pounds, you would complain about them too.

The pound is on the rise, do some research.

I agree with the disabled benefits cuts, it's not right or fair.

The conservatives are pledging to build a lot more affordable housing.

What lies?

If you have an issue with the democratic system this is not a tory issue but a house of commons issue, and any other system would put the tories more in power.

Your personal ad hominen attack on Theresa May has no baring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You also mentioned the pound is on the rise.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pound-value-sterling-drops-euro-dollar-currency-exchange-rate-latest-low-a7366001.html
Since 2010 it has devalued significantly.

That was posted in 2016, and isn't representative of current figures. And yes, currency always fluctuates, but it will recover too

Currency always destabilizes after big political and social changes but then recovers and stabilizes again.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
I totally agree with you that the money needs to be accounted for and that a solid promise needs to be made. However, it is Boris Johnson who needs to account for it,as you said, not the tory government as a whole

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand your reasoning but Theresa May did not make him foreign secretary for no reason. Conservative politicians including Gove promised this with the £350m a week slogan. May is pushing for hard brexit and is now requesting a mandate. What you are saying here is that the brexit campaign was made of lies from conservative politicians then?
That was posted in 2016, and isn't representative of current figures. And yes, currency always fluctuates, but it will recover too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Price does fluctuate but the tories have shown they are economically inept. A more recent example. https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3535572/pound-falls-against-euro-and-dollar-exchange-rate-as-bank-of-england-warns-of-faster-interest-rate-rises/
I understand your reasoning but Theresa May did not make him foreign secretary for no reason. Conservative politicians including Gove promised this with the £350m a week slogan. May is pushing for hard brexit and is now requesting a mandate. What you are saying here is that the brexit campaign was made of lies from conservative politicians then?

I'm not saying it was a lie per se, I'm saying it was presumptive, I can see the mathematics and economics behind it, but in 2019/2020 when we finally leave, things may have changed meaning that we cannot say any promise from any party will still be relevant if you get my drift?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a member of the NHS front line, I find it so frustrating that patients don't understand who is to blame for the state of the service.

When I tell a patient they're going to wait up to 6 hours for a phone call to discuss what to do for their sick, crying child and they tell me it's not good enough they are right. When they tell me we should have more staff working when we know it's going to be busy, they are right.

When patients call up wondering where the emergency ambulance they were told to sit and wait for, that they were told not to have anything to eat or drink before its arrival expecting it would show up a little sooner than several hours later isn't good enough, they are right.

But their frustration gets directed at me, the person who was only worth a 1% annual pay rise and I have to bite my tongue rather than telling them the reason their child is sat screaming in pain with an earache is because they don't like a man with a beard threatening to increase taxes on an income level they will never achieve.
I'm not saying it was a lie per se, I'm saying it was presumptive, I can see the mathematics and economics behind it, but in 2019/2020 when we finally leave, things may have changed meaning that we cannot say any promise from any party will still be relevant if you get my drift?

Posted from TSR Mobile

'We cannot say any promise from any party will still be relevant'? I agree to some degree but voting Tory is a vote for hard brexit not for the extra funding for the NHS. Is hard brexit the best course of action? Even you fail to admit that because you are unsure whether such promises will 'still be relevant'.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
As a member of the NHS front line, I find it so frustrating that patients don't understand who is to blame for the state of the service.

When I tell a patient they're going to wait up to 6 hours for a phone call to discuss what to do for their sick, crying child and they tell me it's not good enough they are right. When they tell me we should have more staff working when we know it's going to be busy, they are right.

When patients call up wondering where the emergency ambulance they were told to sit and wait for, that they were told not to have anything to eat or drink before its arrival expecting it would show up a little sooner than several hours later isn't good enough, they are right.

But their frustration gets directed at me, the person who was only worth a 1% annual pay rise and I have to bite my tongue rather than telling them the reason their child is sat screaming in pain with an earache is because they don't like a man with a beard threatening to increase taxes on an income level they will never achieve.

Exactly this! Thank you for sharing this.
In addition to TheRealSquiddy's response, I would like to point out that not only is the pound in fact on the rise, but also I would like to remind you of when the pound made it's biggest one day gain against the euro in two years after the conservatives were elected. This was because of investor's lack of faith in another Labour government.
"Markets rejoiced at the prospect of a stable, Tory-led government continuing the austerity economics of the past five years." - Independent.
The conservatives may not be perfect (as you mentioned, the disability benefit cuts), but when it comes to 'destabilising the economy', that is Labour's forte.

Boris Johnson also stated that the £350m per week could be spent on "our priorities such as the NHS", which means he never actually said that 100% of that money woud be spent on the NHS. As TheRealSquiddy said though, as we haven't left the EU yet, so this money is not available yet.
'We cannot say any promise from any party will still be relevant'? I agree to some degree but voting Tory is a vote for hard brexit not for the extra funding for the NHS. Is hard brexit the best course of action? Even you fail to admit that because you are unsure whether such promises will 'still be relevant'.

It's a catch 22. I personally like the idea of a hard brexit, because I like to see change, but as you say, it is uncertain.

But by the same token I could say the same for voting Labour, they could direct most the extra money towards affordable housing or extra schooling, as far as I'm concerned, I like the fact that the tories at least have some sort of action plan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, promised this

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recall they had a 'battle bus' with the '£350 million for the NHS' promise plastered all over it. I think everyone involved in that campaign was responsible. They would have all agreed on it before approving that bus going ahead.
Original post by ChickenMadness
I recall they had a 'battle bus' with the '£350 million for the NHS' promise plastered all over it. I think everyone involved in that campaign was responsible. They would have all agreed on it before approving that bus going ahead.

But then with anything, you have to look at those who pushed it hardest and used it as the main driving point. Not everyone would have approved of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SubElevenG
In addition to TheRealSquiddy's response, I would like to point out that not only is the pound in fact on the rise, but also I would like to remind you of when the pound made it's biggest one day gain against the euro in two years after the conservatives were elected. This was because of investor's lack of faith in another Labour government.
"Markets rejoiced at the prospect of a stable, Tory-led government continuing the austerity economics of the past five years." - Independent.
The conservatives may not be perfect (as you mentioned, the disability benefit cuts), but when it comes to 'destabilising the economy', that is Labour's forte.

Boris Johnson also stated that the £350m per week could be spent on "our priorities such as the NHS", which means he never actually said that 100% of that money woud be spent on the NHS. As TheRealSquiddy said though, as we haven't left the EU yet, so this money is not available yet.

I dont think you know much about markets. They run on sentiment, whether it is public or private. So rising as you claim is not about the tories but sentiment.

There are many examples of this. Trump, the markets reacted and stabilised. Brexit, the markets reacted and stabilised. I bet you that if Labour wins the election, the market will react and stabilise. People make money from sentiment and these people play the markets.

Another factor of market progress is consumer confidence when consumers feel like they are in safe stable jobs with good prospects and state support. This is not the same as zero hour contracts, or depressed wages or deep cuts.
Original post by Mande1724
The conservatives haven't ruined the economy. Unemployment is at its lowest since 1975 and the economy is still growing steadily. Corbyn will ruin the economy increasing the minimum wage will increase unemployment and he wants to increase spending by a large amount which he will fund through taxing the rich (who already pay most of the income tax while 43% of working age adults dont pay any income tax.

Corbyn will fund his investment in the economy through reversing the failed austerity measures and the so-called 'sweetheart deals'. There will be a modest increase of tax for those earning over 85k but none for those earning below this figure. Labour spending will still be less than the doles the tory government hand out to corporations. They have borrowed billions to fund tax relief. By reversing these policies, Labour has a solid alternative.

I agree with the disabled benefits cuts, it's not right or fair.

Agree or disagree?
The upcoming general election offers a chance for the electorate to shape their future. We all know the brexit campaign was built on lies and Goebbels-esque propaganda. For all of you who read the Daily Mail or any news source that wishes to maintain the status quo, do you not think why they wrote those words in their papers? (here is a hint rich people own the media and want you to be poorer) Do you accept their words as the truth or will you challenge their manipulation tactics and make rational decisions by reviewing all manifestos that parties have to offer.
- Where is the £350m a week for the NHS?! (Brexit lies by likes of foreign secretary Boris Johnson)
- A destabilised economy, a housing inflation, increased poverty and homelessness (especially in single parent families), our NHS nurses having to go to foodbanks to survive due to wage cuts... we need a government that can provide the best deal during brexit. A trade deal that will benefit the majority of the population.
- They are DESTROYING the economy. Look it up, the conservatives since 2010 have borrowed more money than all previous labour governments put together. Borrow and borrow without investment leads to cost of living crisis as there is less investment in public services (your NHS, comprehensive and grammar schools...) This leads to long-term instability.
- Tax breaks for the super rich is ludicrous. Why should regular hard working and middle income workers pay for the extravagant lifestyles of the super rich by giving them more money. Economy inequality is at an all time high!
- Wage cuts in real terms. While NHS workers may be earning 'more' than in previous years, if you consider inflation low paid workers are much poorer than in previous years.
- The pound continues to plummet under the Tories since 2010.
- Conservatives have made life much more difficult for disabled people with perpetual credit cuts
- Are you young? Well good luck buying a house! (How many houses is this government pledging to build compared to other parties?)
- LIES. Conservatives lie to hardworking people and students.
- Instability under this government. Prices are going up, wages down... ITS TIME FOR CHANGE! How many u-turns have they made on policies? Its a chaotic regime.
- First past the post is not a fair democratic government but brexit offers the next government to rewrite laws. This will allow them the chance to make it easier to stay in power (thatcher did this in the 80s by reducing trade union power but now they can take it further). Don't gamble away our democracy!
- Theresa May is hiding from the public and is so robotic. She just spews whatever the elite tell her in a controlled manner. Barbaric!

Make your decision whatever it may be but at least review all manifestos that parties offer. Don't just vote because the Daily Mail told you. You're much more intelligent than that. Make a rational informed decision but please vote. The future is in your hands.

Oh dear oh dear. I am not a Tory supporter but you have very little facts or understanding.
1. 350m was the gross figure, 200m is about net. The leave campaign explained that but I suppose you prefer repeating secondary source lies. The point is we will save a lot of our money.
2. You're right they failed to eliminate the deficit but did so more than any other serious contending party. The reason it was so high is partly due to Brown and Blairs handling of spending and the economy. Having a low deficit after 12 years of boom isn't exactly a boast.
3. The pound hasn't 'plummeted'. It was overvalued in 2014, now we are more competitive.
4. Taxes for the richest are higher than under Labour.
5. You are right, inside of the eu, U.K. law is secondary.
Original post by james813
Oh dear oh dear. I am not a Tory supporter but you have very little facts or understanding.
1. 350m was the gross figure, 200m is about net. The leave campaign explained that but I suppose you prefer repeating secondary source lies. The point is we will save a lot of our money.
2. You're right they failed to eliminate the deficit but did so more than any other serious contending party. The reason it was so high is partly due to Brown and Blairs handling of spending and the economy. Having a low deficit after 12 years of boom isn't exactly a boast.
3. The pound hasn't 'plummeted'. It was overvalued in 2014, now we are more competitive.
4. Taxes for the richest are higher than under Labour.
5. You are right, inside of the eu, U.K. law is secondary.

The extra money you claim we will save, will it go to the NHS as promised? By leaving the EU we may lose all the luxuries of membership by exiting the single market (assuming there is a bad trade deal). You are right that the richest are paying more in tax than before but this is not true in real-terms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending