The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Is it worth doing a dissertation in sociology?

Hey!

I'm currently in my second year studying sociology and was having second thought about doing a dissertation since I'm not very keen on any modules I'm doing next year.

Is it as bad as it sounds? And I'm also a person that does everything last minute and was worried that a dissertation would be too much in case I leave it too late again.

Should I do a dissertation or just leave it?
Original post by Sasabb
Hey!

I'm currently in my second year studying sociology and was having second thought about doing a dissertation since I'm not very keen on any modules I'm doing next year.

Is it as bad as it sounds? And I'm also a person that does everything last minute and was worried that a dissertation would be too much in case I leave it too late again.

Should I do a dissertation or just leave it?

My lecturer advised us that if we didn't have something we really wanted to explore in the subject, then we shouldn't do a dissertation.

If you do decide to do a dissertation, you must be prepared to schedule work sessions in the time you would usually be at lectures. Leaving your dissertation is a common albeit disastrous mistake.

In your case, it seems as though you are not particularly captivated by the idea of a dissertation and you are likely to not follow a timetable. So, I think a dissertation wouldn't be a good option for you
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by whatashame3
My lecturer advised us that if we didn't have something we really wanted to explore in the subject, then we shouldn't do a dissertation.

If you do decide to do a dissertation, you must be prepared to schedule work sessions in the time you would usually be at lectures. Leaving your dissertation is a common albeit disastrous mistake.

In your case, it seems as though you are not particularly captivated by the idea of a dissertation and you are likely to not follow a timetable. So, I think a dissertation wouldn't be a good option for you

Yeah that's what I thought in all honesty, thanks for the answer! I have terrible time organisation so I think I will just stick with the extra modules for my last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending